Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:28:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 336
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just tested positive for Hep C...  (Read 12406 times)

Offline d-boy86

Just tested positive for Hep C...
« on: May 10, 2013, 04:14:06 pm »
**sigh**

Should I be worried? I have already determined that I will stop drinking. However, if I get on medication and do what's right by my doctor, will I still be able to live a long life?

I don't know much about hepatitis c. Can someone you please educate me?

Thanks

Offline JazJon

Re: Just tested positive for Hep C...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:32:40 pm »
I thought I read more and more people are being cured of Hep C.    The treatments available today don't have a 100% cure rate but it's getting better each year supposedly.

Example (quick google search)
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2013/04/23/experimental-drug-for-hepatitis-c-promising-studies-show

I'd find someone local to you doing clinical research trials

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »
Thanks Jaz. So if treated, I can expect to live a normal full life?

Offline JazJon

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 04:37:32 pm »
Well you have a 78% chance of being totally cured of Hep C according to the link above.  I don't know much about Hep C to be honest just wanted to share that link

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:38:02 pm »
Okay thanks! :D

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:17 pm »
Is anyone here coinfected?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 07:43:32 pm »
d-boy, there are plenty here that are coinfected, you just need to give them more time to reply. You only made this thread yesterday and it's the weekend and people are doing things.

Why don't you start by reading up on it at this link -- note that there are several sections to read and you have to keep hitting the "next" button:  http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HCV_9984.shtml
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 08:30:23 pm »
Thanks. Sorry I'm just very nervous and afraid that I may end up dead in 15-20. I'm very nervous now.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:44:34 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that bad news.

A couple of people in this forum have had it, including me.  Ann took the treatment and was cured.  I passed it via my own immune response. 

For what its worth, i did do a little bit of research on herbs for liver cleanse. As soon as I was diagnosed I started drinking dandelion tea, two different kinds. Every day for two months.  One made from the root, and one from the leaves. Its a nice grassy taste, the root is better than the leaves, though, in my opinion.  I ordered it in bulk online, organic, it wasn't expensive.  Also, milk thistle extract, as pills.

Im sure it was the luck of the draw that I fought down the virus, but I dunno, I think the flushing with the dandelion did help.

As for treatment, there is one already that works pretty well. But its no picnic for many.  But my infectious disease doc said an even better one is hitting the market sometime later this year 2013 or next year. 

So don't despair! Talk to you doctor and ask for all the optimistic viewpoints, so you don't worry unnecessarily.

Have you been HIV+ for awhile?  My doc was able to figure out my HEP C infection date pretty closely by interviewing me AND by asking the labs to look for it in my old blood draws. I don't know if this is just in Switzerland that they keep old blood. I was pretty surprised by that, but the Swiss are strange, master record keepers... One routine HIV blood panel, it wasn't there, and the next, it was.  And then we figured out when I felt quite sick for a few weeks, cramps and aches and pains.  Evidently, NOTICING you have it when you first get infected is usually a good sign, as it indicates an active immune response, which is what you want.  At least, thats the info given to me by my ID doc. 

Nobody wants Hep C just like nobody wants HIV.  But on the flip side, at least you know, because you can change your intake and maybe take the treatment.  People go years, decades, without knowing, and their livers are destroyed, all the time feeling relatively healthy.  So, at least now you know and can take measures to avoid that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:51:42 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 09:31:38 pm »
Thanks! Your response really made me smile. Now with this treatment, will I still be able to work? My last HepC test was negative in January. I just entered a relationship so I went to get another STD screening and it came back positive a few days ago.

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 10:12:37 pm »
I can't tell you that because I didn't take the treatment.  Ask people who have, and read online support forums for Hep C. 

As with HIV forums, careful to filter what you read.  Lots of people who have smooth sailing with an HIV infection, HAART, etc, never show up in a forum. 

Lots of people do have a REALLY rough go with Hep C, that's the impression I got from what I read online. 

Trust your own body, how it feels, and trust your own doctor..
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 12:44:49 pm »
Just order the dandelion tea! Hopefully it works for me as well. Even if it doesn't clear it, I'm sure it would help detox it and save some damage.

Offline Valmont

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 03:14:25 pm »
Hi D-boy,  these are not a good news but try to take it easy...  My father has HEP C from 1981 and he is still very well, the good news is that it exists some treatments, the bad one is that they don´t always work and they can be difficult to deal with.  An uncle also had it in the beginning of the 2000´ and be cured after a 6 months treatment and have now a complete normal life.  I don´t know about co-infection with HIV, but some people in this forum have dealed with both and be cured in regard to HEP C...  More than anything else, your alimentation, lifestyle and applying what your doc tells you are really important.  I send you my best wishes...

Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline boi2kwik4u

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 04:52:05 pm »
As others have said, Milk Thistle works.  Hell I even take it after a night of drinking or any heavy meds being broken down in my liver. 

My mother had Hep C and beat it the 2nd go around with meds.   It use to be a shot a weak but now it's spread out so it's easier to handle.   Also I had a friend who once had an AIDS diagnosis and sarcoma, just recently beat out Hep C, tho his regime lasted a year. 

You'll be fine!  Good luck to you. 

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 09:45:48 am »
My Hep C viral load came back and it was "39,166". Which I take is very low. My CD4 is 825 but my percentage dropped from 27% to 24%. My HIV is still UD with levels less than <20. My ALT levels came back at 80 which is a little above the norm of 50.

I go in for my liver ultra sound next week. So far, so good. Looks like treatment will knock this the hell out of me with no problem. My doctor states she may want me to wait for a year until better lines of treatments are released, but I rather deal the the horrible side effects before this thing does any harm.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:06:30 am »
I admire your attitude d-boy . I'm happy to hear that you are being proactive and willing to do the work to be healthy , that is what it takes to become a LTS .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 10:34:57 am »
I admire your attitude d-boy . I'm happy to hear that you are being proactive and willing to do the work to be healthy , that is what it takes to become a LTS .

Thanks. One thing I've learned from this forum is to attack the problem as soon as possible. From what I read those who don't clear of Hep C are those who wait too long. Prayer helps as well.

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 11:31:06 am »
Also, this dandelion tea mechh recommended must be doing something great. My lymph nodes are no longer tender and my appetite came back immediately.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:28 am »
Also, this dandelion tea mechh recommended must be doing something great. My lymph nodes are no longer tender and my appetite came back immediately.

I have some growing in my yard that you are more than welcome to have LOL . It will save me on my summer Round Up Weed Killer bill . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »
I have some growing in my yard that you are more than welcome to have LOL . It will save me on my summer Round Up Weed Killer bill .

LOL. I'm a city boy. You know we love eating the healthy foods. Don't want to make them though. LOL.

Offline mecch

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 02:39:11 pm »
I go in for my liver ultra sound next week. So far, so good. Looks like treatment will knock this the hell out of me with no problem. My doctor states she may want me to wait for a year until better lines of treatments are released, but I rather deal the the horrible side effects before this thing does any harm.
I saw my ID doctor again this week.  He mentioned again that the FDA is soon to approve a MUCH BETTER treatment for Hep C.  You would probably do well to take it slow and listen to your doctor. 

My doc said the same thing when my Hep C was diagnosed.  If I had remained with a low virology he was recommending to wait until the end of 2013 to visit the question of treatment.  Who knows, you might well kick it before then!  The low virology might mean you are not sustaining much damage, at the moment.  You really don't want more drugs than necessary. 

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 02:58:19 pm »
I saw my ID doctor again this week.  He mentioned again that the FDA is soon to approve a MUCH BETTER treatment for Hep C.  You would probably do well to take it slow and listen to your doctor. 

My doc said the same thing when my Hep C was diagnosed.  If I had remained with a low virology he was recommending to wait until the end of 2013 to visit the question of treatment.  Who knows, you might well kick it before then!  The low virology might mean you are not sustaining much damage, at the moment.  You really don't want more drugs than necessary.

Thank you so much for the advice. So there's actually suppose to be a new drug released at the end of this year? If so, what's the name of the drug?

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 03:09:35 pm »
AbbVie with Aviator, and Gilead with Sofosbuvir, both have drugs in the pipeline. I think there might even be others!  I'm not following it closely because I tend to take my Drs wisdom on these matters. I think you should quiz your doctor.  As I said, she probably has at least two good reasons for telling you to wait. 1) You might kick it. 2) The new drugs are great and not as heavy as the existing treatment.  Voila.

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 03:33:55 pm »
AbbVie with Aviator, and Gilead with Sofosbuvir, both have drugs in the pipeline. I think there might even be others!  I'm not following it closely because I tend to take my Drs wisdom on these matters. I think you should quiz your doctor.  As I said, she probably has at least two good reasons for telling you to wait. 1) You might kick it. 2) The new drugs are great and not as heavy as the existing treatment.  Voila.

Thanks. Just did some research on both. Wow. So it looks like I'll be fine after all!

Damn it, I can't wait to drink wine and celebrate once all of this shit is done and over with.  :-[

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 01:16:29 pm »
Genotype came back at 1A. I go in for an xray (or whatever) on Wed.  ;D

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 03:35:24 pm »
Came back from my liver ultrasound this morning. Everything looked great (normal).  ;D

Just waiting for my doctor to respond and I hope she lets me start treatment soon. I really don't want to wait for the new meds. I need this thing out of my body SOON!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 08:04:32 am »
Came back from my liver ultrasound this morning. Everything looked great (normal).  ;D

Just waiting for my doctor to respond and I hope she lets me start treatment soon. I really don't want to wait for the new meds. I need this thing out of my body SOON!

I suggest you slow down and do some research into current hcv treatments before you go any further.

It's been ten years since I was treated for hep C and there are new treatments, some already approved and in use, and some close to being approved, which not only increase the rate of successful treatment, but the newest ones won't be using some of the older meds that caused the treatment to be the closest to hell on earth I've ever experienced. The treatment course is also shorter with these new meds. (I treated for 52 weeks, some of these newer treatments have cut that time down to twelve weeks.)

If you can avoid the current treatments that include Interferon and Ribavirin, you should. Hep C progresses MUCH slower than hiv, so there really isn't the great need for urgency that you seem to be experiencing. I was informed the other day that some doctors are even refusing to treat patients like you (where there is no real liver damage and a new infection) until these newer drugs are in use.

You will find a lot more information on the new treatments over at our sister site, Hepmag.com

There are also forums associated with our sister site using the same format as here. You will, however, have to also register for an account on those forums. Your login for here won't work there, but you can use the same username and email address if you wish.

Hang in there and make sure you find a doctor who is up-to-date on the new treatments. Make sure he or she is also experienced in treating hiv/hcv coinfected patients.

I can tell you with absolute certainty if I were newly diagnosed with hep C today, but knew what living hell the older hep C treatments were, I would most definitely wait the year or so for the new treatments.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 11:03:20 pm »
Thanks Ann! Everything you said here was correct. I spoke with my current doctor and she said the same thing. As long as I stay away from alcohol, my Hep C will progress much slowly than my HIV (which is actually under control due to me switching to Complera). She wants me to wait for one new drug which is showing a promising result for those of my genotype and who are co-infected with HIV. She believes it will be approved within the next year or. She assured me that I'll be fine and that I will have absolutely nothing to worry about.

;D

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
Hi Guys, I have a question -- is treatment really bad? I've looked at some youtube videos and read some online comments. Some people say its not good, but they can still manage to go to work and maintain their normal life. Others have said they weren't able to work and could barely walk.

Can someone share to me their experiences with treatment? Thanks.

Offline Matts

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 04:05:12 pm »
please wait if you can, treatment with ribavirin and interferon can be horrible.
There will be groundbreaking new 1 pill HCV options within some years with a cure rate of more than 90 percent from Gilead and GSK. Interferon therapies can be a horrortrip as I heard. The new therapies will be much better, it won't take a long time until they are approved.
But better  read the HepC forums as Ann recommended, they know it better than me.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=48006.0
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:18:39 pm by Matts »
Dovato

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 04:16:05 pm »
Yeah I was reading this link below. I have Genotype 1A which is the harder to treat genotype. However, things look promising for the 1a as well.

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hepatitis-c/hepatitis-c-topics/hcv-treatment/4046-croi-2013-new-treatments-for-hepatitis-c-and-hivhcv-coinfection

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 05:14:28 pm »
Hi Guys, I have a question -- is treatment really bad? I've looked at some youtube videos and read some online comments. Some people say its not good, but they can still manage to go to work and maintain their normal life. Others have said they weren't able to work and could barely walk.

Can someone share to me their experiences with treatment? Thanks.

Is there some reason you can't trust your doctor, Ann, information being given to you by others.  My doc, a professor and ID specialist of some renown in Geneva, gave me the same line.  Wait until the new treatments.  Which I relayed to you as well, and which your own doctor has explained.

I can understand that the HIV diagnosis was a severe blow. And for the moment, its for life.  I guess the carrot of a Hep C cure can easily seduce you into an impatience "to be done with" another nasty virus...  But life is long and you need to take the long view of these things.

Offline pozapril2013

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 12:59:21 pm »
I recently tested pos for Aids CD4 54 VL 500,000 and HCV VL 5,000,000. I started the Stribilt a month ago and the Dr said that I need to start Interferon in Late June. She also told me to not take any herbal or vitamin at this time. I am attempting to maintain a positive attitude and reading these post do help with comparisons of success from others. My only concern is that my numbers seem to be extremely higher than others that I am reading their post...before my test I only felt less productive and had very little energy..since I started taking the meds...I sleep long hours interupted and seem to have little to know energy. This is only with the current meds. The interferon sounds like it may take a toll. Is there anyone that has been in this situation or close in numbers and have good results? I am a little nervous and am fighting depression of the stigma of both AIDS/HCV in the public eye!
4/13 CD4 54 -VL 500,000

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 03:41:36 pm »
I recently tested pos for Aids CD4 54 VL 500,000 and HCV VL 5,000,000. I started the Stribilt a month ago and the Dr said that I need to start Interferon in Late June. She also told me to not take any herbal or vitamin at this time. I am attempting to maintain a positive attitude and reading these post do help with comparisons of success from others. My only concern is that my numbers seem to be extremely higher than others that I am reading their post...before my test I only felt less productive and had very little energy..since I started taking the meds...I sleep long hours interupted and seem to have little to know energy. This is only with the current meds. The interferon sounds like it may take a toll. Is there anyone that has been in this situation or close in numbers and have good results? I am a little nervous and am fighting depression of the stigma of both AIDS/HCV in the public eye!
I think any meds will do that to you. I felt the same way when I started Atripla. I noticed when I changed my diet things took a turn for the better. However, Atripla would have me high as hell if I didn't go to bed immediately after. Before I changed my diet, it was extremely hard for me to get my day going on the morning. I didn't feel "bad", but my energy level was just in the pits.

I'm not sure if things are the same with Hep C treatment, but from what I read from others, it starts out weird/bad, and gets better once you've learned how to deal with the medications.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.