Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:45:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 376
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 373
Total: 373

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cough. Cough.  (Read 12444 times)

Offline mitch777

Cough. Cough.
« on: November 07, 2013, 05:04:30 pm »
I was wondering if any of you have experienced a dry cough due to high blood pressure meds.

I have been on Ramipril for years without a problem until this summer. I thought my dry cough was due to my many years of smoking (I know, bad), so I went to see my doc to get an appointment for a lung capacity test. He thought that was a good idea but said certain HB meds can cause this (ACE inhibitors), but thought it unlikely that this symptom would appear after this much time. He said I could try not taking Ramipril for a month to see what happens.

Well, after about a week the cough has diminished 80%! (still no good excuse to keep lighting up...)

So it makes me wonder if my body has become more sensitive to this med after all of these years due to hiv.

Just another most likely unanswerable question. ::)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Cough. Cough.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 06:20:54 pm »
ACE inhibitors can cause a cough.

It is also true an ACE cough after this time is unlikely, but then again not impossible.

But, smoking...and the stopping thereof, more likely reason.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:30:02 pm »
ACE inhibitors can cause a cough.

It is also true an ACE cough after this time is unlikely, but then again not impossible.

But, smoking...and the stopping thereof, more likely reason.

- matt

Thanks Newt/Matt but I have not stopped smoking. I guess it's I'm an odd case as usual.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:32:41 pm by mitch777 »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 07:45:56 pm »
I was wondering if any of you have experienced a dry cough due to high blood pressure meds.

M,

Yes, I noticed that when I was started on 10 mg of Lisinopril, that as time went on, I was developing a dry cough.

The cough seems to happen when I am going to sleep ( or sleeping), or in the lying down position, very little if any coughing in my waking active hours.

I take the lisinopril @ work @ midnight 5 days a week. When I get home to go to sleep is when I get the cough. It's not always persistent though.

I also need to mention this to my primary care when I see her in December.

Ray
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:50:18 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »

PS....  I also take 25 MG of Hydrochlorothiazide @midnight ( which until I see my primary I am cutting in half for six months or so now).  Never had cough issues with this medication. The doctor had me cut this in half while starting on the Lisinopril, until I see her in December.

Also, I don't smoke, and haven't for quite a number of years.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:42:46 pm »
Thanks Ray!
 I have been on Hydroclorathiazide (geez what a dumb name of a drug) for years as well. I stopped taking it for about 4 months to see if it affected my chronic headaches but it didn't make a difference and it was much prior to my cough.

I'm interested to know how long you were on Lisinopril ?

I'm wondering if years of taking a HB med can suddenly make your body say enough already, try something else.

PS- I still am going forward with the lung capacity test.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 09:09:51 pm »

I'm interested to know how long you were on Lisinopril ?

I've been on it about 6 months now.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfthorn

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:21:52 pm »
ACE inhibitors can cause cough by raising bradykinin levels. Any drug that ends in "pril" is an ACE inhibitor. Try switching to an ARB... LosARTAN is the generic ARB. It usually will cut out the cough.
7/10/13: Oraquick at Home (+)
7/11/13: CD4 <20, VL 286,000
7/26/13: Start Stribild, Bactrim, Azithromycin
8/13/13: CD4 64, VL 1194
9/11/13: CD4 87, VL 511
10/14/13: CD4 164, VL 34
10/15/13: Stop Azithromycin!

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:58:57 pm »
My brother's partner takes Lisinopril (think that's right) and he has developed a cough in the last few years.  At first, I thought he was always getting colds, but he said it was the med. 

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 07:44:56 am »
ACE inhibitors can cause cough by raising bradykinin levels. Any drug that ends in "pril" is an ACE inhibitor. Try switching to an ARB... LosARTAN is the generic ARB. It usually will cut out the cough.

That's interesting to know ! And wouldn't you know it, last night I received this in my EMAIL box from Medical News Today, regarding ACE inhibitors.  :-\

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/268474.php

Clear association found between ACE inhibitors and acute kidney injury

Cambridge scientists have found an association between ACE inhibitors (and similar drugs) and acute kidney injury - a sudden deterioration in kidney function. The research is published in the journal PLOS ONE.

ACE inhibitors and related drugs known as angiotensin receptor antagonists (ARAs or 'sartans') are the second most frequently prescribed medicines in UK clinical practice, and are used to treat common conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease and kidney problems, especially in people with diabetes. Although concerns about a link between these drugs and kidney function have been raised in the past, the size of the problem had previously been unknown.

The researchers therefore examined the issue using data from the whole of England. They compared the admission rates for acute kidney injury to English hospitals with the prescribing rates of ACE inhibitors and ARAs. From 2007/8 to 2010/11, there was a 52 per cent increase in acute kidney injury admissions. During this same period of time, there was an increase in the number of prescriptions for ACE inhibitors and ARAs issued by GP surgeries by 16 per cent.

The results show a clear association between the increase in prescriptions and the increase in hospital admissions. The researchers estimate that 1636 hospital admissions with acute kidney injury - which has a mortality rate in the UK of around 25-30 per cent of patients - could potentially have been avoided if the prescribing rate had remained at the 2007/8 levels. They estimate that one in seven cases of acute kidney injury could be due to increased prescriptions for these drugs.

This is the first time that a study has been able to assess the extent to which these medications are linked to acute kidney injury. However, the researchers emphasise that we cannot assume that the medication was a direct cause of the acute kidney injury in this study, and no one should stop taking these medications unless advised by their doctor to do so.

Dr Rupert Payne, senior author of the study from the University of Cambridge's Institute of Public Health, said: "There has been lots of anecdotal evidence suggesting these drugs may be a contributory factor in patients developing acute kidney injury, and this work gives us an opportunity to estimate the size of the problem, as well as making clinicians and patients more aware of the importance of using these drugs in accordance with current clinical guidelines.

"As both a GP and clinical pharmacologist, it also highlights to me the importance of improving our understanding of the risks and benefits of drugs more generally in the real world of clinical practice, away from the artificial setting of clinical trials."

Dr Laurie Tomlinson, co-author of the study, added: "As a kidney doctor I have looked after many patients with acute kidney injury who were taking these medications prior to becoming unwell and have often worried that the drugs were doing more harm than good. These results are the first to estimate to what extent these drugs may be contributing to the growing incidence of acute kidney injury. Therefore, they represent the first step of research needed to better define when they can be prescribed safely, which should reduce the growing burden of acute kidney injury and save NHS costs and ultimately lives."

The researchers will next use large primary care databases to examine the association between the drugs and acute kidney injury for individual patients and, in particular, the role of other medication, patient factors (such as the existence of chronic kidney disease) and infections in causing acute kidney injury.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 11:28:53 am »
I'm still surprised that I developed this cough after being on the med for so long (about 12 years?) though it does appear to be the problem.

@ Wolftorn- I plan on calling my doc today to change meds. Thanks for the info.

@ Ted- Wonder if your brother's partner should consider a change of meds. Why deal with a cough if you don't have to?

@Ray- Thanks for the link. Just one more reason to change meds. Further studies are needed but there seems to be strong implications already with kidney issues.

Thanks again guys! :)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »
I'm still surprised that I developed this cough after being on the med for so long (about 12 years?) though it does appear to be the problem.

@ Wolftorn- I plan on calling my doc today to change meds. Thanks for the info.

@ Ted- Wonder if your brother's partner should consider a change of meds. Why deal with a cough if you don't have to?

@Ray- Thanks for the link. Just one more reason to change meds. Further studies are needed but there seems to be strong implications already with kidney issues.

Thanks again guys! :)

I know, and he's a doctor.  I will have to ask him how long after starting the cough started.  And, why he doesn't change.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 03:05:49 pm »
 ???

And I will be talking to my primary care, and ask for a change. I would rather just drop it altogether, I was hesitant in the fist place going on Lisinopril.

I am still convinced, if I can loose 10-15 pounds, which I am dedicated to achieving, I can drop the Hydroclorathiazide, and the lisinopril.

That will be my next goal, as soon as I get off this crazy graveyard shift. !

I am determined to do this !

Once again, the cough started just as I got home from work this morning and went to bed.

I know there is nothing in the house causing this, and I don't have allergies. This all started within 3 months of starting Lisinopril.

I will let you know what the doctor suggest to me in December. 

EDITED TO ADD :  I would love to be able to drop the simvastatin as well ! Perhaps a 15 pound weight drop will let this happen as well.

Ray

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:29:59 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 04:14:04 pm »
Ted,
I too am curious why he is sticking with it as well as how long he has been on this med.

Ray,
Best of luck on the weight loss. Retirement is coming soon for you. :) I wish I could stop every med, lol, but that's not in the cards but am grateful for those that work well. Looking forward to hearing back from you after your doc visit.

I called my doc today and am waiting to hear back. Will let you know....

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 04:20:53 pm »
???

I am still convinced, if I can loose 10-15 pounds, which I am dedicated to achieving, I can drop the Hydroclorathiazide, and the lisinopril.

I use the app, "Lose It."  I have lost 25 pounds, thus far.  I was getting kinda porky.  I began last year and lost about 20.  But, I got depressed during the winter and stopped using it; so, I gained back about 10.  Got back on it and 25 pounds lighter from my heaviest weight.  I am determined to keep with it and now I am learning what and how much I can eat, without even logging it.  But, it is important to log.  Gets complicated when you don't know calorie info, but even many restaurants now have nutrition info.  The more you loose, the less calories you're allowed.  That seemed backward to me, at first.  You can log exercise to gain back calories.  But, I usually don't for fear I will over-estimate the calories I burned. 

Good luck with however you loose it. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 05:47:34 pm »

Just got a call back from my doc and Losartan is the med he suggested.

side note: He said ACE inhibitors could be beneficial to diabetics as far as the kidneys are concerned. He also said that he has never heard of any relationship regarding hiv being an issue as far as developing a dry cough with this class of med.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:51:18 pm by mitch777 »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 11:07:40 pm »
I asked my "brother-in-law" about it tonight.  He said he developed the cough, after taking it awhile.  He said everyone is different-- some get it right away, some over time, and some never. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 10:55:10 am »
I asked my "brother-in-law" about it tonight.  He said he developed the cough, after taking it awhile.  He said everyone is different-- some get it right away, some over time, and some never.

So why doesn't he change meds?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 03:20:32 pm »
He acted like it was no big deal, for him-- comes and goes.  He has a lot of lipid/bp issues, and they are beginning to affect his kidneys.  Beginning to.  His dad had a few heart attacks, but just turned 80.  He also said its the med that works better than others, for him. 

Even being a doc, I wonder whether he's just settled into a routine and not seeking out other options with his doc, but what do I know. 

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 09:35:53 pm »
 ::)

Well, I've just been exploring and trying to educate myself a little more on Losartan and lisinipril.

Losartan is in the HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE class of drugs.

http://www.goodrx.com/losartan-hctz/what-is

So for me, instead of switching from Lisinopril to losatan,  Why not just increase the dose of the 25 mg Hydrochlorothiazide that I am already currently on. Makes sense to me, I think.

So I will also discuss this with my doctor .  The possibility of dropping Lisinipril and just increasing the 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide to a 50 mg dose.

I don't have a problem with the 25mg/ HCTZ, except that it makes me urinate a little more often. either way, I am not going to deal with the cough. Maybe I need a chest XRAY  ::)  it's been a while.

Ray

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:57:35 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 09:44:16 pm »
::)

Well, I've just been exploring and trying to educate myself a little more on Losatan and lisinipril.

Losartan is in the HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE class of drugs.

http://www.goodrx.com/losartan-hctz/what-is

So for me, instead of switching from Lisinopril to losatan,  Why not just increase the dose of the 25 mg Hydrochlorothiazide that I am already currently on. Makes sense to me, I think.

So I will also discuss this with my doctor .  The possibility of dropping Lisinipril and just increasing the 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide to a 50 mg dose.

I don't have a problem with the 25mg/ HCTZ, except that it makes me urinate a little more often. either way, I am not going to deal with the cough. Maybe I need a chest XRAY  ::)  it's been a while.

Ray

I just can't keep up with researching meds. Thanks again Ray. * head spinning*  :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 11:59:02 am »
Update:

Started on Losartan last Sunday. By Tuesday my most of my body was covered in a rash. It seemed to cause an allergic reaction so the doc said to stop taking it and call him once the rash is gone. Then onto another new med. (unknown at this point)

Silly me forgot to remove the Losartan from my morning pill box so I took another one by accident. lol. ::)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 04:09:54 pm »
Update:

Started on Losartan last Sunday. By Tuesday my most of my body was covered in a rash. It seemed to cause an allergic reaction so the doc said to stop taking it and call him once the rash is gone. Then onto another new med. (unknown at this point)

Silly me forgot to remove the Losartan from my morning pill box so I took another one by accident. lol. ::)

Mitch,..

Sorry to hear about the reaction to Losartan.  I took two HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE'S, along with the lisinipril, by mistake last week, and was pissing like a race horse.

Good luck when you get started on a new med, to replace the Losartan.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 05:57:34 pm »
Mitch,..

Sorry to hear about the reaction to Losartan.  I took two HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE'S, along with the lisinipril, by mistake last week, and was pissing like a race horse.

Good luck when you get started on a new med, to replace the Losartan.

Ray

Thanks Ray.
Off to the next med with the hope of no side effects. :)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 02:31:36 am »
Mit I also have difficulties with drug researching, I battle away at it when necessary , but I am fortunate in having access at no cost to the pharmacists at the Hospital who are proactive in this role.

I do wonder weather if I had to pay for any off my drugs ( people who are on health/ out off work benefits ) are exempt from the prescription charge  ) I would put more effort into in it.

The thin silver lining to your reaction was its immediacy , hears hoping the next drug behaves. Is your blood pressure behaving ?

All the Best
michael

"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 09:34:33 am »
I've taken Diovan for eight years and had no issues. At first they combined it with Hydrochlorothiazide to get my numbers where they wanted, but after ~6 months of that I was peeing so much that if I went to the movies I'd have to get up three times, so I went off of it and my numbers remained stable.

My mother had that coughing issue with whatever bp med they had put her on, and it was a known side effect. She was in denial about it for at least a year until I put my foot down and made her get the doctor to switch her to something else.

ps: t'ain't normal to go on bp meds at the age of 40 -- thanks AIDS!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 09:45:36 am »
I'm going to have to mention this to my mom , I think this may be a part of her chronic coughing problem .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 05:09:26 pm »
Update. The rash that covered by sensitive little body after trying Lozartan is still with me after more than 2 weeks. None of the red spots have gone away but the raised bumps have flattened out and the color is much more subdued.

So....
I started on Amlodipine on Wednesday. After 3 days I am itching from head to butt. Not sure if this is from the new med or just the healing of the rash. Hmm...

Just another unexpected trip down a road lined with poison ivy. ::)

boo.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 10:25:32 pm »
My mother had that coughing issue with whatever bp med they had put her on, and it was a known side effect. She was in denial about it for at least a year until I put my foot down and made her get the doctor to switch her to something else.

So that's what happened to your foot.  How hard did you put it down?  Ok, lame joke. 

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 08:14:09 am »
Mitch,..

I had an appointment with my primary care on Wednesday. I told her about this cough, after starting lisinopril.

So I will now be starting Metoprolol 25mg. It Should arrive in the mail by Saturday, or at least Monday. I will stop the lisinopril and start the Metoprolol, when it arrives.

She listened to my lungs, and said everything sounds great !

We'll see how this works for me.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 01:17:29 pm »
Mitch,..

I had an appointment with my primary care on Wednesday. I told her about this cough, after starting lisinopril.

So I will now be starting Metoprolol 25mg. It Should arrive in the mail by Saturday, or at least Monday. I will stop the lisinopril and start the Metoprolol, when it arrives.

She listened to my lungs, and said everything sounds great !

We'll see how this works for me.

Ray

Hey Ray,

Good luck! I seem to be doing fine now myself. I mentioned this whole topic to my sister last week. She said our dad had the same problem from a high blood pressure med. (not sure which one) He switched and his cough went away in days. Guess this is more common than I realized.

m.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 03:44:20 pm »

Ok ,...I received the Metoprolol tartrate, in the mail today.

Oh,  this looks like a fun drug,..  ::)

"Do not suddenly stop taking metoprolol tartrate. Sharp chest pain, irregular heartbeat, and sometimes heart attack may occur if you suddenly stop metoprolol tartrate. The risk may be greater if you have certain types of heart disease. Your doctor should slowly lower your dose over several weeks if you need to stop taking it. This should be done even if you only take metoprolol tartrate for high blood pressure. Heart disease is common and you may not know you have it. Limit physical activity while you are lowering your dose. If new or worsened chest pain or other heart problems occur, contact your doctor right away. You may need to start taking metoprolol tartrate again.

Tell your doctor or dentist that you take metoprolol tartrate before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.

Tell your doctor if you have a history of diabetes or if you take medicine to lower your blood sugar (eg, glyburide, insulin). Metoprolol tartrate may hide signs of low blood sugar, such as fast heartbeat. Be sure to watch for other signs of low blood sugar (eg, anxiety, chills, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting, headache, tremor, unusual sweating, vision changes, weakness). Tell your doctor right away if these effects occur.

Metoprolol tartrate should not usually be used by patients who have a history of certain lung or breathing problems (eg, asthma) or who have a certain type of adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma). It may worsen these conditions. Tell your doctor if you have a history of breathing problems or adrenal gland tumors. If you have these conditions and must take metoprolol tartrate, your doctor may need to adjust your dose or prescribe additional medicine to reduce the risk of side effects. Check with your doctor for more information.

Tell your doctor if you have a history of overactive thyroid. Metoprolol tartrate may hide symptoms of overactive thyroid (eg, fast heartbeat). Do not suddenly stop taking metoprolol tartrate; suddenly stopping metoprolol tartrate could worsen your condition. Your doctor should slowly lower your dose over several weeks if you need to stop taking it. Check with your doctor for more information."

I guess Ill start it tomorrow.  It's also a twice a day medication.

Ray
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 03:47:54 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 06:37:48 pm »
Ok ,...I received the Metoprolol tartrate, in the mail today.

Oh,  this looks like a fun drug,..  ::)

"Do not suddenly stop taking metoprolol tartrate. Sharp chest pain, irregular heartbeat, and sometimes heart attack may occur if you suddenly stop metoprolol tartrate. The risk may be greater if you have certain types of heart disease. Your doctor should slowly lower your dose over several weeks if you need to stop taking it. This should be done even if you only take metoprolol tartrate for high blood pressure. Heart disease is common and you may not know you have it. Limit physical activity while you are lowering your dose. If new or worsened chest pain or other heart problems occur, contact your doctor right away. You may need to start taking metoprolol tartrate again.

Tell your doctor or dentist that you take metoprolol tartrate before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.

Tell your doctor if you have a history of diabetes or if you take medicine to lower your blood sugar (eg, glyburide, insulin). Metoprolol tartrate may hide signs of low blood sugar, such as fast heartbeat. Be sure to watch for other signs of low blood sugar (eg, anxiety, chills, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting, headache, tremor, unusual sweating, vision changes, weakness). Tell your doctor right away if these effects occur.

Metoprolol tartrate should not usually be used by patients who have a history of certain lung or breathing problems (eg, asthma) or who have a certain type of adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma). It may worsen these conditions. Tell your doctor if you have a history of breathing problems or adrenal gland tumors. If you have these conditions and must take metoprolol tartrate, your doctor may need to adjust your dose or prescribe additional medicine to reduce the risk of side effects. Check with your doctor for more information.

Tell your doctor if you have a history of overactive thyroid. Metoprolol tartrate may hide symptoms of overactive thyroid (eg, fast heartbeat). Do not suddenly stop taking metoprolol tartrate; suddenly stopping metoprolol tartrate could worsen your condition. Your doctor should slowly lower your dose over several weeks if you need to stop taking it. Check with your doctor for more information."

I guess Ill start it tomorrow.  It's also a twice a day medication.

Ray

Geez Ray.

Was that your only alternative? I've read a lot of warnings before on med bottles but this one...
What did your doc say when he prescribed this. Just curious.

m.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 05:21:18 am »
Geez Ray.

Was that your only alternative?
What did your doc say when he prescribed this. Just curious.

m.

Hi Mitch,

I don't think that was the only alternative. However, She went over my history quite extensively, before deciding to give this one a try.

I don't have asthma , and I don't have overactive thyroid issues.  So that's a good thing. If I did, she would not have prescribed this.  I also don't have any other lung issues or breathing problems going on. I don't have , or never did have bronchitis.

So, she decided the Metoprolol. would be alright to try.

I am still on the 1/2 dose of HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE, ( until I see her again in June)  the simvastatin,  and starting today, the twice a day dose of Metoprolol.

I asked about Losartan, and that's med is not part of the VA's medication.

She stated that it may make me a little dizzy, but that's not a certainty.  I have the direct line to the Clinics office that I can call, or I can private message her , If I have any issues.  Hopefully I will have none!  :o

She also, prescribes this to some of her other patients, with no issues being reported.

I have a blood pressure monitor at home, so I can check the BP periodically, and can give her a report if necessary.

I've decided that I will take the Simvastatin and the first Metoprolol @ 8:00 this morning, and then I will take the 1/2 HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE and the other  Metoprolol @ 8:00pm tonight. ( or sometime before going to bed)

EDITED TO ADD I am also not diabetic. ( at least at this point in my life)

Yippy !  :-\      Lets see how this works-----Ray

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:35:57 am by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 01:59:26 pm »
Sounds good Ray!  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.