Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:55:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please clarify rpossible risk exposures  (Read 35219 times)

Offline brianyap

• Standard
Re: Please clarify rpossible risk exposures
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2011, 12:13:19 pm »
yes i am still fretting over that. crazy, i know.
well, i did get a test about 10 days after that frottage incident (DUO) and it returned negative. I know it's not conclusive at all but i guess since the "incident" was no risk, then i can just let that crazy event die already.
I just have been extremely paranoid ever since that real incident back in Feb. I have you, andy and this forum to greatly thank.  :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2011, 02:52:27 pm »
Brian,

Unless he has an unusually small penis (smaller than a finger), you'd feel it.

Are you still fretting about that incident from last April? If you cannot put that no risk situation behind you, then why don't you just go test, collect your negative result and get on with your life? It's a no-brainer. Seriously.

Ann

There's really nothing more to say or add to what you have already been told. Get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline brianyap

• Standard
Re: Please clarify rpossible risk exposures / New risk or No risk?
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2012, 02:28:41 am »
Hi Ann and Andy,
Been quite some time since i last posted here. Anyways, i'm just getting a bit paranoid, hoping you could clarify.
I had sex in Barcelona last March 30. The gave the guy unprotected oral sex. He tried penetrating me with a condom but it was too painful so we stopped after less than 1 min of trying. He was never able to penetrate me even with the condom. He just rimmed me for a few minutes and mutual masturbation after. However, when I was cleaning myself, I noticed that my anus was bleeding (probably from trying to penetrate me). I developed tonsillopharyngitis and needed an emergency operation a week later.
Just to clarify, I was absolutely at no risk from this, right? I mean, I'm just paranoid about him rimming me while I was bleeding.... saliva is not infectious and HIV is not contagious via rimming or oral sex, right? No need to test? I've never had anal sex since my last real risk more than a year ago...
Thank you!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2012, 06:53:33 am »
You never had an HIV exposure.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2012, 08:26:10 am »
Nothing you are reporting from your latest incident would have put you at risk for HIV.

The matter of tonsillopharyngitis was totally coincidental. There's no cause for further concern nor any need for HIV testing.

Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2012, 12:52:16 pm »
Thank you Rod and Andy.
Question- even if someone ejaculates and then some gets into your mouth isn't considered a real HIV risk, right?
Sorry, I was just a bit worried about the bleeding because I didn't know that I was.
Also about Tonsillopharyngitis, is this a symptom of HIV or does it usually manifest during ARS or when HIV is already getting bad?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2012, 05:33:20 pm »
Thank you Rod and Andy.
Question- even if someone ejaculates and then some gets into your mouth isn't considered a real HIV risk, right?
Sorry, I was just a bit worried about the bleeding because I didn't know that I was.
Also about Tonsillopharyngitis, is this a symptom of HIV or does it usually manifest during ARS or when HIV is already getting bad?

The sexual risks for HIV infection are:

Unprotected vaginal and anal sex.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2012, 12:27:04 am »
Okay I know that I shouldn't post repeatedly about something but could people please clarify?
This forum has always said that oral sex carries a risk but not a risk for HIV. I've been doing a little research and some websites from supposed HIV experts claim that there is still a risk and there are confirmed cases of getting HIV from oral sex. How valid is this? They say that it has something to do with HIV virus being absorbed by tonsils? Sorry, I'm very paranoid about my recent tonsillopharyngitis episode after giving someone oral sex and receiving anal rimming from him....
1) Based on your extensive experience, do you know of anyone getting infected from oral sex? with or without ejaculation?
2) how valid are these links: http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/insite?page=pr-rr-05 and http://aids.about.com/cs/safesex/a/oralsex.htm ?
3) So oral sex is 100% risk free in terms of HIV infection (but rsiky for other stds?) What if a positive person that has gonorrhea receives oral sex from someone and he ejaculates inside the person's mouth? No hiv risk?
Please, i just need to clarify these things.
Thank you!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 06:20:47 am »
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 07:17:31 am »
Hi Rod,
Thanks. i've actually read that post before. I'm just a bit worried but less now. The reason why is because I gave someone of unknown status a blowjob and he ejaculated in my mouth (unintentionally) and i immediately spat it out. Im just worried because a week later, I developed severe tonsilitis which ended up with me getting an operation. (Weather was really cold and I had sinusitis)
I just want to get one thing straight, I don't want to get tested, and I really don't need to, given this blowjob incident?
I haven't done anyl anal intercourse ever since that real risk which I tested conclusively negative for.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2012, 07:20:34 am »
Bryan,

1. I've known people who claimed infection this way, but I've yet to really believe them. Here in this section of the forums, I've yet to see someone come in all freaked out about giving blowjobs end up testing positive. In fact, the only men I've seen end up positive in this forum had unprotected receptive (bottom) anal intercourse.

I've never seen a woman claim to have been infected through giving blowjobs. Never. It's only men who indulge in this claim - probably because they can't bring themselves to admit to unprotected receptive anal intercourse - or anal intercourse period.

2. I've read that interview before and guess what - it heavily leans to receptive blowjobs (giving blowjobs) not being a risk. One of the interviewees said,

"I've been following cohorts for 20 years and I still have yet to see what I think is really a documented case.*

The San Francisco Men's Health Study cohort had 46 seroconverters; and the San Francisco Young Men's Health Study cohort had 38, and there was one case of an individual who reports no risks at all. He seroconverted--so I was never able to get what I thought was a plausible story out of him.

So I find it very hard to say that 10-15% of new infections are due to oral sex--I just don't see the evidence for it.

I think the best evidence comes from the cohort studies** for the reasons Kim points out. The cases who present to various clinics for various reasons come along with various stories and histories whereas in the cohorts, they are being questioned, prior to their tests, so you at least have that working for you.

But you still have as everybody has mentioned a bias for underreporting risky behaviors, underreported risk."

*A documented case is where the mode of transmission has been proven, without doubt. This usually but not aways includes genotype and possibly phenotype tests to make sure the virus has come from the person it has been said to come from.

**The "cohort studies" he's referring to are the three serodiscordant studies where one partner was poz and one was neg. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. These studies went on for years and involved hundreds of couples and the poz partners had varying viral load levels, from on meds and undetectable to treatment naive with VLs in the tens of thousands.

3. I wouldn't necessarily say oral sex was 100% hiv risk free, but unless you've got terrible oral health and you happen to get a hold of someone who is recently infected with a sky-high viral load (common in the first few weeks to a month or three of infection), then it is extremely unlikely to happen.

Oral gonorrhea is a growing problem, particularly in the SMS demographic. If you like to give blowjobs, you'd be wise to get your throat swabbed for gonorrhea regularly. How often depends on how many blowjobs you're giving to how many men. You can get it done anywhere from once a year to every three months. It all depends on how active you are.

You know, if you're going to freak out each and every time you give someone a blowjob, maybe you should just forgo that as an activity you're willing to participate in. Is five or ten minutes of pleasure worth weeks of worrying afterwards? It's up to you. Either stop worrying and just makes sure you're getting regular COMPLETE sexual health check ups (including oral gonorrhea swabs) or stop having these encounters. The ball is (or balls are) in your court mister.

I think we've told you everything we can regarding how to keep yourself hiv negative. It's up to you what you do with this information but remember, we're NOT here to hold your hand each and every time you have a new encounter. Got it? Good!

OK, you posted while I was writing. Has it occurred to you that maybe your tonsil problem was being caused by gonorrhea? That's the more likely explaination. Hiv doesn't manifest in that way, but gono could. And no, you don't need to test specifically for hiv over this blowjob. You only need to test if it's time for your regular routine test that every sexually active adult should have at least once a year.

Ann
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:22:22 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2012, 07:26:02 am »
Thank you for elaborating more.
It's just that based on my research which i mostly base on this forum, I always thought the giving blowjobs was considered not risky.
The doctors took a blood sample from me and I guess i've been cleared of STDs including gonorrhea.
And you're right, having sex isn't turning out to be worth my worries so I'm going to abstain for now until I feel more comfortable with it.
So to sum it up, that incident isnt considered risky and no need to test over this incident?

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2012, 07:33:46 am »
I don't plan to get any routine tests because I haven't really engaged in anal sex. The most that happened was this blowjob which you say I can just forget. Given this, perhaps I should get tested when I start becoming more sexually active again...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2012, 07:35:10 am »
Brian,

For the last time NO, you do not need to test for hiv specifically over this incident. How many times do you have to be told? I'm starting to feel like you're a brick wall and I'm repeatedly banging my head up against you. Knock it off before my head explodes - or I'll give you a time out.

Please consider yourself warned!!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 12:26:23 pm »
Thank you, Ann. However, ONE last question please... you mentioned that my tonsilitis could have been the result of gonorrhea. I have no way of finding out if I did get oral gonorrhea from the incident since I got a tonsillectomy.

IF ever that was ORAL GONORRHEA, does it in any way increase my risk of getting HIV from the person since he ejaculated inside my mouth (but I spat it out). Still very low risk and no need to test?

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »
Thank you, Ann. However, ONE last question please... you mentioned that my tonsilitis could have been the result of gonorrhea. I have no way of finding out if I did get oral gonorrhea from the incident since I got a tonsillectomy.

IF ever that was ORAL GONORRHEA, does it in any way increase my risk of getting HIV from the person since he ejaculated inside my mouth (but I spat it out). Still very low risk and no need to test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 04:17:26 pm »
Don't be duplicating your posts. Ann will answer you when she finds time to do so.

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »
sorry rod... for you, do you think aquiring gonorrhea through giving oral sex increased my risk of also getting hiv from the same act? (with ejaculation) or still no?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »
No, oral sex isn't a risk of HIV transmission and the math is 0x1 (gonorrhea) = O. You do not have an HIV concern.

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2012, 03:24:39 am »
Thank you RapidRod,

Anyways, before Ann gets the chance to give me some time off for repeatedly posting, I got the courage to finally just take the test to give myself absolute peace of mind.
I got a rapid test from an HIV counselor today and it's NEGATIVE. This is also the 3rd month since that not-so-risk-free "ORAL" incident with Ejaculation + Anal Rimming. So this is the end of the story.

A BIG THANK YOU to ANN, Rod, Andyand the others for being patient with people like me who can be very obsessive even if it's all theoretical.

Offline brianyap

• Standard
Anal Receptive Partner (with bleeding) but 100% condom use-- PEP needed?
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2013, 04:29:42 am »
Hello,
Been awhile since I last posted here. Anyways, here's the situation, I was the receptive partner of anal sex but my partner of unknown status used a condom throughout the intercourse. I was the one who put the condom on his penis and we used water soluble lubricant (as advised). I haven't been the receptive partner, so I noticed some bleeding after we had sex but the condom was on all the time and it did not break. I got the condom and ran water in it to check for any breaks or leaks and there was none.

The question is, am I at any risk and do I need PEP? I've been a member and I know that most would say it's no risk but I'm just getting paranoid since I bled a little and I read that SOMETIMES condoms can be ineffective despite proper use.

Although this was published in 1992-- perhaps this has been corrected and condoms are now better made?

Please help
Thanks

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:29:13 am by Ann »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2013, 06:35:19 am »
Brian,

Once again, I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

I removed the link to your outdated research paper. The last thing we need is for other worried wells to start freaking out about an "in vitro" (in a lab/test-tube) study that hasn't been borne out by real-life experience.

Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

You certainly do NOT need PEP over this NO RISK situation.

You're doing the right thing by using condoms and water-based lube. That's really all you need to do in order to prevent hiv infection.

I hope you've learned through your time here that as a sexually active adult, you should be getting regular, routine complete sexual health check ups, including but NOT limited to hiv testing. Most of the other STIs are MUCH more easily transmitted than hiv - some only require skin-to-skin contact - and many can be present with no obvious symptoms. The ONLY way to know the state of your sexual health is through testing.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2013, 06:43:01 am »
Thank you, Ann.
To add to that, he didnt really cum inside the condom either, so that makes the risk (but since there is none) even smaller.
It's nice to see you and the rest of the moderators still actively helping people out.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2013, 06:51:16 am »
Brian,

If you were testing regularly (at least once a year, twice if you're very active with several partners), it would probably go a long way towards reassuring you that you're doing what you need to do to remain hiv negative.

It worked for my hiv negative boyfriend. All we did was use condoms for intercourse and he remained hiv negative, and after a few negative results he really understood (in his heart as well as mind) that we were being safe.

And you're welcome, by the way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2013, 12:26:07 am »
Thank you, Ann.
Sorry, just to clarify, when u say condoms "slip off" do you mean it gets removed from the penis and is stuck inside your anus? That's the only thing apart from tearing that can become a risk, correct?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2013, 01:30:46 am »
Thank you, Ann.
Sorry, just to clarify, when u say condoms "slip off" do you mean it gets removed from the penis and is stuck inside your anus? That's the only thing apart from tearing that can become a risk, correct?

Yes, in some cases a condom will completely slip off. Though a low level risk, it is considered a risk nonetheless.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2013, 04:23:19 am »
Thank you. But just to clarify my risk (if any), the condom he wore did not slip off completely but after penetration it slipped a bit to cover 3/4 of his penis instead of covering it completely. This is no risk, right?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2013, 07:47:24 am »
Brian,

No, a partially slipped condom is NOT an hiv risk.

What's important from the insertive person's point of view is that the head is covered.

What's important from the receptive person's point of view is that any cum or pre-cum is contained within the condom.

The only time a slipped condom is an hiv risk is if it slips completely off the penis during intercourse and is pushed up inside the receptive partner. This means the subsequent intercourse, after the slip, is unprotected.

A condom that slips off during withdrawal is not an hiv risk for either person. The insertive partner is supposed to hold on to the base of the condom during withdrawal to prevent this happening.

I'm sure I've said it to you before, but I'll say it again; read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
Re: Please clarify possible risk exposures - new exposure
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2014, 11:26:00 pm »
Hi everyone,
I guess i'm back to this and this time i feel more stupid than ever.
Here's the thing, i've had a partner since early february and he swears he's been monogomous with me since feb to now. We've been having sex 2-3 times a week and had only 1 instance of penetration because of drug use. I recently have been diagnosed with gonorrhea and i've been treated for it already by my physician who injected me with antibiotics and 7 days of oral antibiotics.
Here's the timeline:

My partner's last time to have sex with someone else who isnt me was with a positive partner last Dec 7, 2013 but they wore protection.

Met him February 14  and he bought a rapid testing kit and tested himself in front of me and it was negative. How reliable is this? are false negatives common? Im not sure what kind or brand he used but it was a finger prick method that produced just one line at "C".

Had sex couple of times without penetration

February 26, he sat on top of me (i was top) but lasted only less than 10 seconds because i freaked without the condom. temporary lapse of judgement due to drug use.

March 5, had sex again, no penetration but used his cum as lube to jack me off. Is this an hiv risk?

March 11, i had a rapid test myself and it was negative

March 12 - discovered i had gonorrhea and got treatment.

My question is, how risky is my situation and does this warrant a lot of worrying? Another thing is, he just discovered that he has symptoms of gonorrhea now as well. The thing is, I have not had sex with anyone other than him a for the past year. I have never had any std or gonorrhea ever. He insists that his last sex was dec 7 and has been monogomous since then. Is it possible that his gonorrhea was dormant for months until recently? I'm sorry, im just so scared and feel so stupid at the moment.

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2014, 02:30:58 am »
just to add, i read that the use of drugs sort of delays or extends the window period... is this accurate or i misunderstood this.
the drugs i used were taken orally, mdma/molly. thank you!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:35:49 am by brianyap »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2014, 08:24:10 am »
Brian,

You cannot use the in-home hiv tests to serosort.

The only way you can use hiv tests to serosort is when you have been in a strictly monogamous relationship - where you have absolute trust that your partner truly is being monogamous - for at least three months before you test for hiv and all the other STIs TOGETHER. If you and your partner's hiv and STI panel of tests come back negative, then and only then should you consider not using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse.

If you've had unprotected anal intercourse with this person, you need to test out to three months past this incident. You've been here long enough to know the drill.

Regarding the gonorrhea infection the two of you have, it's completely possible that one or both of you had an oral gonorrhea infection and didn't realise it. Most people don't have symptoms of oral gonorrhea and often times doctors overlook giving oral swabs for gonorrhea, either because they don't realise how common oral gonorrhea transmission is, or the patient hasn't indicated that they give blowjobs.

Regarding drug use and the hiv testing window period, MDMA isn't going to affect it. The only people who might take slightly longer to seroconvert and test positive are those people who are on chemotherapy for cancer, anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, and those people who have been injecting street drugs, every single day, for years. Even these people will normally seroconvert and test positive within the three month window period.

You need to wise up and stop having unprotected intercourse and stop trusting what people you've only just met tell you about their testing and/or sexual history. It's almost like you want to be hiv positive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2014, 08:48:42 am »
Thank you, Ann.

In this case then, my only risk factor was as an insertive top, assuming that he is positive, right? And if he were, what would be my risk factor given that he was able to give me gonorrhea? Please help me understand, do STDs increase your risk if you had them and had sex with a positive partner or the other way around? And from what I recall you told me that HIV is harder to transmit from receptive to insertive, right? Also, given the circumstances that it was a very brief exposure, somehow at least makes it less? I will get that test on my 3rd month.

The ejaculation using his cum is not a risk factor, correct? How long can one person have oral gonorrhea and not know about it?

Again, I know I made another bad move and it is continuous learning curve for me. This is something different but nevertheless a risk.

Thanks, Ann for all your help and advice.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.