Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:04:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773164
  • Total Topics: 66330
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 255
Total: 256

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: newly diagnosed  (Read 6159 times)

Offline ctp3

newly diagnosed
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:47:22 pm »
I was diagnosed with HIV a few months ago I have yet to start treatment and I've been dealing with extreme lethargy since just before I was diagnosed. I'll wake up and be fine for a few hours and then just get really tired. My question is; is this common, is there anyway to fight it without meds or do I need to start treatment right away? Should I change my diet? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Please and tank you

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: newly diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:50 pm »
Hi ctp3 , and welcome to the forums . Many people do see an improvement in energy after beginning meds . If your lab numbers and doctor agree its time to begin meds its something I would advise you to strongly consider doing .

You must be ready to take them and be adherent to the regimen that you choose because the decision to begin ART is a lifelong commitment in the absence of a cure .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline ctp3

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:20:42 pm »
Hey Jeff! Thank you for the welcome and the reply. I haven't seen a doctor since I was diagnosed because I can't really afford to and I've  been trying to start testing and treating at the local health department but they ate ALWAYS busy. I've only been infected for about four months now and and i haven't really dealt with any physical symptoms except energy loss since maybe the first month . I'm just concerned cause I don't know if this loss of energy is normal or if it means my tcells  are too low or if i can rectify it by getting more sleep. I know looking for medical advice via the internet isn't very  smart but maybe speaking to someone who genuinely  understands what I'm going through will help point me in the right direction. I'm an otherwise healthy twenty year old and I've never dealt with any serious sickness before. I'm just a little unsettled

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:03 pm »
Hey Jeff! Thank you for the welcome and the reply. I haven't seen a doctor since I was diagnosed because I can't really afford to and I've  been trying to start testing and treating at the local health department but they ate ALWAYS busy. I've only been infected for about four months now and and i haven't really dealt with any physical symptoms except energy loss since maybe the first month . I'm just concerned cause I don't know if this loss of energy is normal or if it means my tcells  are too low or if i can rectify it by getting more sleep. I know looking for medical advice via the internet isn't very  smart but maybe speaking to someone who genuinely  understands what I'm going through will help point me in the right direction. I'm an otherwise healthy twenty year old and I've never dealt with any serious sickness before. I'm just a little unsettled

Have you been diagnosed conclusively with a western blot test ?

Either way I urge you to seek out a qualified doctor who deals with HIV to be assessed . This isn't something to let go and you could be in need of immediate treatment to prevent things like pneumonia ( PCP) .
Waiting until you can afford it may backfire on you and end up negatively impacting your health and costing far more then than now .   
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:37:02 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:36:27 pm »
I meant to say - people CAN speculate about the whys, of the fatigue. Better you get your numbers and see a doc, as well..

You were infected just a few months ago? Meaning, before the diagnosis, you had previous HIV- tests......
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:39:36 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:35:38 pm »
Do not wait to see a doctor until you can afford it.  Are you in the United States? If so, contact a local Aids Service Organization.  They can set you up with a case worker and arrange medical care for you.  There may be other options for treatment beside the local health department. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline ctp3

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:11:59 pm »
I meant to say - people CAN speculate about the whys, of the fatigue. Better you get your numbers and see a doc, as well..

You were infected just a few months ago? Meaning, before the diagnosis, you had previous HIV- tests......
Yes it was a few months ago. I'm bf twenty and have been getting tested for stds and hiv since since I was 18 my mom always stressed the importance of it when i came out.

Offline ctp3

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:52 pm »
Do not wait to see a doctor until you can afford it.  Are you in the United States? If so, contact a local Aids Service Organization.  They can set you up with a case worker and arrange medical care for you.  There may be other options for treatment beside the local health department.
I've been to an immunology place and they basically said I could become a part of their research, pay four thousand dollars for blood  tests or go to the health department.

Offline ctp3

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:31 pm »
Have you been diagnosed conclusively with a western blot test ?

Either way I urge you to seek out a qualified doctor who deals with HIV to be assessed . This isn't something to let go and you could be in need of immediate treatment to prevent things like pneumonia ( PCP) .
Waiting until you can afford it may backfire on you and end up negatively impacting your health and costing far more then than now .   
Yes, my diagnosis was conclusive. I got a blood test and a swab. I don't plan on letting it go though and you're right trying to wait til i can afford it is probably a bad decision.

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:56 am »
I'm bf twenty
Im so old, please be kind and tell me what does "bf twenty" mean?

Sorry for your diagnosis.

I would be discouraged too, if someone told me I needed 4K just for blood test....

Here's the thing. Which I guess you know.  You won't survive HIV (well, only a very few are non-progressors) without medical care. 

So you have two challenges yep - financial, and then sticking to medical care.

The financials might be a daunting challenge, so you need to buck up and start figuring out all your possibilities/solutions.  If its going to be tough going, that sucks.  But maybe the solutions will present, and you are at present, unaware of them, so wasting your energy worrying.

Same paradigm applies to medical care for living well with HIV.  You have to be proactive and then you'll stay healthy, and you'll have all the facts and know whats worth worrying about and what doesnt apply to you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:15:19 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ctp3

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 07:49:00 am »
Im so old, please be kind and tell me what does "bf twenty" mean?

Sorry for your diagnosis.

I'm sorry, "bf twenty" was a mistake on my part. I'm just more or less overwhelmed by the whole process. It's a lot of information to take in and I'm a naturally worrisome person so I'm beyond stressed, but you're right there may be solutions I haven't learned of yet because I have yet to exhaust all of my resources and all of my worrying is for nothing.

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:33 am »
Well there is plenty to worry about, and its human to worry, but pick your battles based on knowledge....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.