Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:35:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 185
Total: 186

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "...the most interesting new perspectives on HIV transmission...in years"  (Read 8446 times)

Offline Robert

Maybe there is something to oral sex and HIV transmission after all.  According to the latest findings from Germany, there is a protein in semen that boosts the infectious potential of HIV 100,000-fold.  They say it's another breakthrough in finding a cure and maybe it is.  There have been quite a few over the years and maybe someday they'll join forces and just do it.

In the meantime maybe we shouldn't just automatically debunk anyone's claim that they got HIV from swallowing sperm what with all that HIV protein swiming around in there. 

robert

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
Re: "...the most interesting new perspectives on HIV transmission...in years"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:32:05 pm »

In the meantime maybe we shouldn't just automatically debunk anyone's claim that they got HIV from swallowing sperm what with all that HIV protein swiming around in there.

Ummmm, you think?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:40:19 pm »

Shame the science to date does debunk it.

Hey OP! ;)

MtD

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:09:14 pm »
lets get this straight !, unless I am a complete idiot , could be !

you are saying  sperm  BOOSTS  the power of the HIV viral germ !

This being said , Me and my lover of 28  years  hardly  ever have sex . once a year ?.he is NEGATIVE !!!!!!!!

I am not interested anymore and Mr. willy is almost dead .

STORY :  I had sex a few months  ago , did him , swallowed !  and was DEATHLY  ill for  three weeks  fallowing this .

I got a call from my doctor at the Saint Louis V.A. Monday  and she says come up as soon as possible .

I am scared to death !  this is my first  cocktail of drugs , my HIV  remained  dormant for almost  18  years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after  starting drugs my viral dropped to undetectable in three months or so  and my  t cells are now   490 .

Last month I was undetectable and my T cells were   500 !!!!!!!!!

why would it start to fail me now ???????????????????????????????

Karl

My  viral load , witch  has been undetectable for two and a half years , POPPED into the 7,000 range   in three  month period !
" Live and let Live "

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 11:27:53 pm »

Oh MtD,

Ummm, no it doesn't...

b

Offline Patrick

• Where the determination is, the way can be found.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:51:34 pm »
lets get this straight !, unless I am a complete idiot , could be !

you are saying  sperm  BOOSTS  the power of the HIV viral germ !

This being said , Me and my lover of 28  years  hardly  ever have sex . once a year ?.he is NEGATIVE !!!!!!!!

I am not interested anymore and Mr. willy is almost dead .

STORY :  I had sex a few months  ago , did him , swallowed !  and was DEATHLY  ill for  three weeks  fallowing this .

I got a call from my doctor at the Saint Louis V.A. Monday  and she says come up as soon as possible .

I am scared to death !  this is my first  cocktail of drugs , my HIV  remained  dormant for almost  18  years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after  starting drugs my viral dropped to undetectable in three months or so  and my  t cells are now   490 .

Last month I was undetectable and my T cells were   500 !!!!!!!!!

why would it start to fail me now ???????????????????????????????

Karl

My  viral load , witch  has been undetectable for two and a half years , POPPED into the 7,000 range   in three  month period !

Well if your partner is HIV negative, then the fact that you swallowed won't effect the strength of your HIV infection.  The only thing I can think of is that perhaps your partner simply had the flu or another STD and you got that from him through oral sex.  The fact that you subsequently got sick shows that your immune system was working hard to fend off something and that may have allowed your HIV to flourish a bit.  I'd like to also give you a big congratulations for 18 years of med-free living.  It sounds like you're a long-term non-progressor.  Even after all this time, you may have to get on meds if your VL continues to rise or your CD4 starts dropping.  Get a follow-up test to check your VL and CD4 again in a couple weeks to see if it goes back to normal for you.  Of course, this is just "advice" is just an inexperienced guy trying to think through your situation logically.  Obviously , the best thing to do here is to see your doctor and take his/her advice.
Seroconversion - late October 07
11/14/07 - CD4 190   VL >750,000
11/14/07 - Started Truvada & Kaletra
12/5/07 - CD4 851     VL 710
2/19/08 - CD4 604     VL Undetectable
5/8/08 -   CD4 829     VL Undetectable
8/12/08 - CD4 915     VL 80 (blip)
11/11/08 - CD4 967    VL Undetectable

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 12:24:42 am »
Oh MtD,

Ummm, no it doesn't...

b

OP,

Yairs it does. :)

MtD

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 11:07:39 am »
thank you Patrick !,

any kind words  are greatfully  excepted !

Karl

PS  I am  53 and DO NOT speak code . so the other  good comments went over my head   , but thanks to you all  too !
" Live and let Live "

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 11:37:02 am »
Sorry, but science absolutely does NOT debunk (and never has debunked) the idea that HIV can be transmitted through oral sex. 

Science suggests that - given certain ideal conditions (monogamous relationships, perfect dental and oral health, not STIs, no colds, no sore throats, no ulcers, no sores, no bleeding gums, no inflamation etc) - it can be very difficult to transmit HIV through oral sex; but those ideal conditions aren’t exactly overwhelmingly present in the real world, where science generally accepts that HIV has the ability to piggyback and that a significant proportion of HIV transmissions are likely to have occurred through oral sex.

Can they conclusively prove how many are infected through oral sex? Perhaps not .. but nor can anyone prove that they weren’t. They can't actually prove how most people were infected.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:45:36 pm by vokz »

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 01:28:43 pm »

MtD,

I'll be sure to pass your opinion on to the prevention policy experts where I work.  They'll be happy to know they can save some dough and stop handing out flavored condoms.    :o  <<<< I just realized this emoticon looks like he's demonstrating the topic.  Wow!

b

Offline keyite

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 08:55:24 pm »
Sorry, but science absolutely does NOT debunk (and never has debunked) the idea that HIV can be transmitted through oral sex. 

Science suggests that - given certain ideal conditions (monogamous relationships, perfect dental and oral health, not STIs, no colds, no sore throats, no ulcers, no sores, no bleeding gums, no inflamation etc) - it can be very difficult to transmit HIV through oral sex; but those ideal conditions aren’t exactly overwhelmingly present in the real world, where science generally accepts that HIV has the ability to piggyback and that a significant proportion of HIV transmissions are likely to have occurred through oral sex.

Can they conclusively prove how many are infected through oral sex? Perhaps not .. but nor can anyone prove that they weren’t. They can't actually prove how most people were infected.

Couldn't agree more.

Offline srmn98

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »

I'm with you on this one too, minus the "significant proportion" statement. I just think it is possible to transmit via oral sex and that we should not be telling people it is NO risk. Lower risk, fine --- but people should know what they are getting into with this.  I don't understand how anybody can argue the possibility of oral sex as a route of transmission. (One study that gets thrown around this board does NOT disprove it) In fact, are there any doctors or HIV researchers out there that would disagree  ? 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 09:29:23 pm by srmn98 »

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 03:17:07 am »
I'm with you on this one too, minus the "significant proportion" statement.

Fair comment.

I guess it comes down to definitions of ‘significant’.

For my money, the two percent, or more, of UK infections quoted by the UK’s Health Protection Agency and the British HIV Association are important and unlikely to have occurred by chance (my definition of ‘significant’).

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.