Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:30:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thank You Captain Morgan  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Biggums

Thank You Captain Morgan
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:32:47 am »
It's been a rough time lately.  Me and my honey have been going through some rough moments as all relationships do.  I have been somewhat hesitant to post about it alot because, well I just have.  But here are some bullet points:

* I am 44 and he is 25.  The age difference alone causes some issues.  I am content at coming home from work, making dinner, going for a walk and watching a John Wayne movie!  He says sometimes I am so Old School!  lol  He needs to go out with his younger friends, mostly people I do not know.

* Finances are always a challenge.

*  Neither of our parents are happy with our relationship.  His mom feels I am way too old for him and even though she is a total horror of a mother who does nothing to support him emotionally, she doesn't like the fact that he has chosen me for his partner.  My family barely tolerates me being gay and some of them have made it clear I am not welcome on holidays if he is coming with me.

*  Since being diagnosed, his sex drive is in the tank.  This frustrates the hell out of me and I vacillate between trying to be this noble knight who understands his fears and concerns and this horny monster who needs what daddy needs.  I'd love to say nobility wins the day always but it doesn't and I find myself being selfish and demanding.

*  I'm Mr Emotional and he is Mr Laid Back, just roll with the flow.

All of this has caused strain and warning flags going up all over the place that we were heading for a meltdown. 

Last night we went to the ball game, a company outing with about 600 people there.  On the way he surprised me by asking if we could stop off and get a bottle of Parrot Bay.  We haven't drank anything for a long time and it threw me for a loop.  Mr. conservative that I am went into a sermon about how me might get caught sneaking it in, how it would look to others, blah, blah.  He gave me those sad puppy dog eyes and I relented.  As a result, he had a blast and so did I.  But the best part was when we got home and we was still drunk.  He told me to sit down and for the first time in a long time shared his deep feelings for me and about his HIV and his dreams and life.  I was stunned but man it was great. 

So I wanted to ask you guys a few things that I think will help me.  First, how long after your diagnosis did your sex drive come back, if it dropped off at all? Also, for those serodiscordant couples, how do you handle this.

Also for the emotional weenie in me, I am a clingy person and need constant stroking (no that kind although it helps alot) and daily affirmation.  That drives a kick back person nuts I am understanding.  What can I do to ease up on this so he doesn't feel smothered?

I love him with all my heart but realized last night that love doesn't conquer all things.  I need to make some changes.  Any advice would be appreciated.

And again, thanks Captain Morgan.
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Thank You Captain Morgan
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:14:12 pm »
First, how long after your diagnosis did your sex drive come back, if it dropped off at all? Also, for those serodiscordant couples, how do you handle this.

Hi Biggums. In my case it dropped off for a few days but I was 29 years old at the time. My then HIVneg boyfriend and I talked with an HIV doctor who simply said "condoms and good hygiene are your friends." We got back into the swing of things in about a wekk.

Wishing you the best

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 02:21:18 pm »
Jim,

I read your post, and I am happy for you.

The question you ask is way to personal for me to respond to here, but I might think about a PM, but please don't expect too much encouragement from this aging fart.

In Love
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 04:00:13 pm »
I would think the easiest most simple answer is....

Buy a CASE of Parrot Bay!!!  You know what they say.....

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Biggums

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:51:58 pm »
Tim,

I always welcome your Private IM's and you know it.  Will look forward to your reply.

AC, your reply cracks me up!  Maybe I should just go out and buy a case!  lol
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 05:13:18 pm »
It's hard to say how long the drive is diminished as it's totally different for everyone.  At the time of my diagnosis I was also battling other issues, so my taking a year may be a little unrealistic for him.  I also noticed a diminished sex drive since being on meds a year ago and that hasn't really changed much.  Then again, I have passed that thirty year mark, so who the hell knows anymore. 

Regardless of time and sex drive, the most important thing is that you've talked.  Keep the lines of communication open, whether it takes a fight or a periodic bottle of something.  ;D 

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 01:03:04 am »
I'll take two Pina Coladas, One for Each Hand...

Yeah, I have been setting sail with Captain Morgan since the night I ended my 10 day marriage.

Back to your question about having sex drive...  I had no sex drive for months after my HIV diagnosis but, before I knew it, I was back on top (literally).  I continued to be bold, brash and obnoxious in public through the first three years of my AIDS diagnosis.  A few years ago, I left my home of Los Angeles, spent years alone and finally meet someone.  We live on the same corner of the same streets but live miles apart.  One day, not unlike any other, I walked into his office, sat on his lap and said, I love you so what are we going to do about it.

He has job stress, situational depression from a former partner who died of AIDS and has been crushed by another former partner.  I can fix two out of three so I kissed him and said see you later.

I'll take two Pina Coladas, One For Each Hand, Set Sail with Captain Morgan to the Promised Land
This one is worth waiting for and I deserve the best.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.