Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:16:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773467
  • Total Topics: 66368
  • Online Today: 322
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 303
Total: 303

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Fake Cures"  (Read 8579 times)

Offline Almost2late

"Fake Cures"
« on: August 23, 2014, 07:17:52 pm »
Having trouble as to where the proper place for this article by NPR should be, thought maybe here: "Fake Cures For AIDS Have A Long And Dreadful History"

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/07/15/331677282/fake-cures-for-aids-have-a-long-and-dreadful-history

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: "Fake Cures"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:29:34 pm »
I moved your thread into a more suitable forum . Many of us LTS had friends that spent their life savings on snake oil back in the early days ... money that could have been spent on housing and food or medical expenses . Nothing can make the blood of a LTS boil like fake cures and claims that herbs and supplements can help you get to undetectable . We still get the fake cure scam posted on the forum every now and again but I or we try to take it down quickly before its read . The mods spend a good part of our day on approving new accounts for the forum and sometime it can be tedious and you would not believe how many spammers we turn away . There are a few times every year when its worse than others and we have had days where 60 - 100 approvals a day are rejected due to spam .

It heartless to scam the sick or us with chronic condition's but they do it because it pays . We had a young woman on the forum who was going to travel abroad for a cure and when we told her the truth she was in denial and did not want to accept it and then it turned to anger and hurt feelings .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 07:34:37 pm »
Sorry Jeff, I first thought here but then, I don't know I brain farted  :-[
Thanks

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:36:22 pm »
Sorry Jeff, I first thought here but then, I don't know I brain farted  :-[
Thanks

I have a cure for brain farts if ya want to buy one ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:38:35 pm »
I have a cure for brain farts if ya want to buy one ?
I'm scared to ask what that could be, lol

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:04:19 am »
still waiting for my kabob, wtf is the hold up anyway?

i think its a good thing to shine a blinding light on quackery and call it out every time it rears its head. almost a moral obligation. recently had someone start to bring up doucheberg, i felt it coming, could tell where they'd got the lines from. it never ceases to amaze me the depths of peoples stupidity

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:29:02 pm »
still waiting for my kabob, wtf is the hold up anyway?

i think its a good thing to shine a blinding light on quackery and call it out every time it rears its head. almost a moral obligation. recently had someone start to bring up doucheberg, i felt it coming, could tell where they'd got the lines from. it never ceases to amaze me the depths of peoples stupidity

It's not stupidity that motivates people to try anything... to avoid dying.  It's fear, plain and simple.

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 02:53:15 pm »
then call it naive ignorance... either way, chasing that rabbit goes down the wrong hole

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 03:57:35 pm »
then call it naive ignorance... either way, chasing that rabbit goes down the wrong hole

I have always avoided black and white thinking.  The reason we keep advancing in medicine is because of those people who insist on thinking out side of the box.  Having lived through the early years, I resist labeling anyone as stupid, especially when it comes to saving ones own life.  If I were to tell you about some drug trials I was in, you would think me crazy.

Personally, I want to live and I will never find any humor concerning "quack cures", because it exposes some people to possibly dangerous treatments, simply because they do not know any better.  Far from stupid, they are simply uneducated about HIV and treatment... just like we all were at one time.

We should direct our outrage at those who would propagate such "snack oil" and expose them as truly heartless human beings.

Joe

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:37:14 pm »
Well, its polite and generous and human to make this point about how ignorance does not equal stupidity.

However there is a percentage of people involved in quack cures who are not ignorant.  Not misinformed. 

Sometimes they are very well informed and for miscellaneous reasons still either put their personal hope in quackery. Or, sell snake oil. Or, promote fake medicine or cures out of "political" convictions.

I am sorry to report that there are in fact different doses of both critical thinking skills and (perhaps) intelligence and low doses of one or the other do contribute to how people live their lives and the choices they make, and the denials they carry.. 

Yes fear.  But other reasonings, and other emotions.

Also - culture.  Also - religion.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 05:42:00 pm »
I know a small number of people who become involved in quackery because their philosophy, thinking, strategy has been moulded by long experience of economic precariousness and a certain hopelessness and fatalism that science is not the answer.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 08:54:59 am »
Hi everyone, thought I would open this old thread again to add a couple of links to articles I ran into this morning... I do not pretend to know a great deal about HIV and I'm still learning about the politics of research and how its presented to us on the internets, lol.. All research is a good thing but we must be careful not to invest too much hope in every little discovery made by scientist.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/06/all-these-aids-cures-are-a-fantasy-one-that-can-cause-real-harm.html

http://www.newsweek.com/so-called-hiv-cure-not-actually-cure-282606

Offline zach

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 09:06:46 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVMUGyFsDMU

a headshot is only way to kill a zombie thread

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 09:52:37 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVMUGyFsDMU

a headshot is only way to kill a zombie thread

Oh come on, it ain't that old.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.