Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:03:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 203
Total: 206

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An Activist Goes to the White House  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
An Activist Goes to the White House
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:53:56 pm »
Dear All,

Through my having worked for the International AIDS Society as liaison to the activist community at several international conferences, and because of my activist background as well, I have been invited to participate in a planning meeting in early October which will be largely be focused on the 2012 International Conference to be held in Washington, DC. This will be a small group representing various organizations and key figures in HIV/AIDS. It is  being hosted by Obama's top HIV/AIDS advisors at The White House.

I've been talking to various community peeps and fellow activists about issues related to the July 2012 DC Conference, which is expected to be a hugely attended one. It is especially meaningful because it is the first one to be held in this country since the ban has been lifted on those living with HIV being allowed to enter the U.S.  That 2012 is a presidential election year kicks it up even further.

I see this as an opportunity to carry voices that might not be otherwise heard or at least not in quite the same way. It is both humbling and exciting to have this chance to speak up. Let me tell you as someone who in the past has many times been outside the White House demonstrating, including throwing the ashes of friends on to the lawn in protest, walking in as an invited guest this time is guite a personal trip to be making.

If you have something you want me to keep in mind for this meeting, please say so. All I can promise is that I am just going to do my best, and I am thanking you and I will very much appreciate your support.

In solidarity.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:42:02 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: An Activist Goes to the White House
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »
That's awesome news! Congratulations!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 06:13:21 pm »
Wonderful news Andy..stand proud.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:37 pm »
I'm hoping the current ADAP disaster will be one of the first items on the agenda. Personally, I think the federal government should step in and take over its administration. That way states like Florida wouldn't suffer so much.

And congratulations on this achievement and recognition. I'm sure you'll do us all proud.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 06:46:09 pm »
Wow that's great!
Ask about the role the federal government (Congress) and the executive branch (Obama) is willing to take on in guaranteeing HIV care and treatment these years during the transition to "Obamacare".  The squeeze is on.  What if state budgets are even tighter, next year?

edit: LOL posted same time as Ann! Well I guess this must be the most important!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:28:09 pm »
hey andy,
i got an update email from blog.aids.gov about a meeting this month. Was that the one you talked about? Did you get to go?
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:40:25 pm »
Hi Andy...I'm sorry I missed this particularly worthy post, what a worthwhile endeavor, did it go well or have you been left disappointed?  You are an inspiration to us all.  Keep up the great work dear man!

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.