Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:10:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 660
Total: 661

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Might have to say goodbye.  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Might have to say goodbye.
« on: June 28, 2006, 05:36:20 am »
So, a lot of you guys know about my little mouse, Morgan, who I rescued from a pet shop with horrible bloody bruises and scabs all over him. And how I stayed up with him for days treating him and making sure he didn't rip his wounds open and putting antibacterial cream on him constantly until he finally healed up, and his scabs disappeared and his fur grew back in nice and thick and black.

And how he managed to contract lice somehow, and got an infection from the bites, and how he needed to be brought the vet every week for shots to clear up the mites and how I had to force feed him orange-y smelling antibiotics.

Today he started twitching and spasming uncontrollably for no reason and finally curled up in a little ball in the corner of his cage and just laid there. I noticed he has lice again. He's breathing, strongely, but he isn't moving much and only seems to get up to grab a seed from his bowl and nibble on it, and then falls back into a heap and just lays there looking kind of straight and rigid and breathing hard and deep. He also lets me pick him up without any sort of struggle, which is wierd for him because he isn't much of a fan of being held.

I have an appointment schleduled at the vet for him for today at 5:20 PM. My mom is driving me and I'm paying. It's like 23 bucks. Or more. I don't know yet. I have like nothing though and I don't know where the money for whatever treatment they give him is going to come from.

Part of me feels they're going to suggest I put him to sleep though. And I'm scared because I don't know if I can make a decision like that.

I haven't slept tonight. I'm kind of in a fog. I've been through everything with this mouse and he sort of represents to me something small and weak that can just fight through all kinds of wicked awful shit and still make it out okay. And his dying would tear me apart in ways I cannot even describe. Since I took him home I've had the mentality that if some little shitty runty little mouse can survive crazy shit then surely I can, cause I'm considerably bigger than him (though some may debate this) and certainly stronger. But now I don't know. I think this is as much about me as it is about him. He can't die on me right now.

Edited cause I forgot to add:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 05:39:08 am by Mouse »

Offline JeffInNYC

Re: Might have to say goodbye.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 07:23:50 am »
Cute mouse.  But how does he keep getting lice?

Anyway, maybe he just isnt feeling well and they can fix whatever is troubling him.  Whats the lifespan of a mouse?

I know metaphorically you are somewhat making it about you.  And when it comes to a pet you love, it is somewhat about you.  But you have to try to put those feelings aside and see what the vet says and do what is best for your pet - even if that means putting him down.  You know I just got my first dog a year ago and it took a month or two for me to realize what pet lovers feel.  I cannot even imagine not having this pooch in my life.  He is great!  And assuming I outlive him, it would be very painful to have to put him down one day.

Anyway, Jaser, take care and dont be so hard on yourself...you did way more for that mouse than I think most people would.  Thats something to pat yourself on the back for.

Keep us updated.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 07:29:06 am »
I think the treatment didn't work, he had eggs left on him, and now they've hatched.

Mice live 2 or 3 years. He should have some time left to him. He really should.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:19:50 pm »
He's astonishing. I don't know how. But he's okay.

We brought him in today to the vet. My vet, by the way, adores both of us and thinks we're a great pair. She checked him out, took him in back and gave him a shot for the lice. I'm going to have to start bringing him back every two weeks for shots.

She said he had no infections and didn't need antibiotics this time. :) She said he's probably feeling very crappy from itching and scratching all the time, that he's a tad underweight but if he's eating properly it's most likely just a normal weight for him, considering he's very small for an adult mouse. He's next to me in a smaller cage right now so I can clean him out easier twice a day to keep from getting infected.

He's sort of just sitting in the middle of the cage in a mound of bedding itching away at his ears and scratching and biting. She promised me he'd stop itching like that in the next couple days or so. :)

I feel so much better that my little boy is gonna hang on a bit longer.  :D

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 09:24:19 pm »
goodun's on you bubby

Offline BB

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 09:46:09 pm »
Death is a reality we all must deal with.

But as long as your little buddy has a good quality of life don't give up on him.

Good for you being an angel to your pet.

BB

(who has lost to many little buddies in the recent past.)
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:16:55 pm »
Glad Morgan is doing better! Hes lucky to have you!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.