Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:28:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773295
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 608
Total: 608

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: mad @ cvs pharmacy !  (Read 3773 times)

Offline fairfaxguy

mad @ cvs pharmacy !
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:34:17 am »
CALL ME STUPID .
BUT I TRUSTED CVS PHARMACY WHEN I FILLED MY HIV MEDS . AND
THEY LET ME TAKE TWO MEDS THAT HAD A BAD INTERACTION
FOR OVER A YEAR !
THE CVS STORES WHERE IN ALEXANDRIA VIRGINIA AND FALLS CHURCH VIRGINIA ... 

fairfaxguy

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: mad @ cvs pharmacy !
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:47:48 am »
OK, I'll bite.  What were the meds and why did your HIV doctor not know of this interaction as well?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 11:54:48 am »
Farifax,

I deleted a duplicate thread you created in the Treatment and Side Effects forum. Please do not start the same thread in more than one forum.

I've also moved your post to the Living forum, as this is something related to living with hiv. The Off Topic forum is where we discuss things not related to hiv.

Please read our Welcome Thread so you can find out what else this website has to offer, as well as gaining an understanding of our posting guidelines.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 01:56:48 pm »
  What were the meds and why did your HIV doctor not know of this interaction as well?

Hello,

I will have to ask that question also. The phamicist is filling a prescription that your doctor wrote out.
Why did you take meds for over a year, That obviously didn't work right for you, without saying something to the doctor? Did you ask the CVS pharmacist, about any possible reactions to the meds that they filled per your doctor request? Walgreens ask me each time if I have any questions regarding the meds that I am on. You would think that after 5 years they wouldn't ask anymore, but they still do.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 02:47:14 pm »
My guess would be that the scripts came from two prescribing doctors.  The patient should always take care that both doctors have a record in their charts of what medications you are currently on, especially when your intake from each doctor where you were queried on this subject might be out of date, etc. though most doctors if they're doing their job will have you update such things yearly.

Of course, the pharmacist should still be looking at these things but really it's the doctors job first and foremost.  I've routinely been on so many medications for the past 15 years that I'm very careful, when prescribed a new medication, that the doctor go over everything that I'm currently on with scripts from all my various other doctors.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 03:10:52 pm »
I also agree with Ms. Philicia. Every appointment I go to my doctor asks if I have started any new meds or which ones I am still taking. If your doctor has never done this then I would suggest looking for another one. I also ask a lot of questions too.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 09:01:57 pm »
My guess would be that the scripts came from two prescribing doctors.  The patient should always take care that both doctors have a record in their charts of what medications you

Yeah, I didn't take that into consideration. I only have one doctor, that is prescribing meds to me. The only other doctor that may prescribe something on occasion, is my dermatologist, and there is no problem with interactions there. I guess things can always slip by the pharmacist though.

Heck, I have had them short change me on the number of pills in the bottle a few times. But that hasn't happenned in a while. But I still count my pills, after I get them home.

If that is the case , where you have different doctors prescribing meds, they need to work together.

Ray
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:05:31 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 09:32:10 pm »
I think it's critical to ask questions and participate in my healthcare.  Healthcare is a team sport not a farming activity.

I read everything I can, ask my docs lots of questions, and listen carefully.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 02:15:37 am »
My doctor's office has signs in the waiting room to bring your pill bottles with you to every visit.   

Like, I'm gonna lug that many pill bottles around with me -- but I do bring a list with all the information on it ... including how many refills I have so I don't ever run low.   :)

Once I had a doctor write 3 prescriptions for me at an office visit ... only 1 was right.  The 2nd was unsigned and the 3rd had a different patients name.   :o   I check all my prescriptions before I leave the office now!

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline bill1322

• this summer after I cut off the pony tail
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 09:25:11 am »
Yup, I've had these problems too, and it gets worse if you use more that one pharmacy - like the CVS for a onetime scrip and the mail-order pharmacy for the long term scrips.

It is very important to be you own advocate - pharmacist as well as doctor - I tell everyone (esp. my docs) that I've gone to medical school and pharmacy school - at Google. ;)

Poz.com has some very informative areas where you can check your meds interactions and side effects and check out meds that you're not even on to see if they might be better for you. I use those often - even for the stuff the dermatologist prescribes.

Kinda like Sally Field says, "It's your body and your life." If you don't take responsibility and get involved and find out everything and ask a million questions, no one else will do it for you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 11:11:28 am »
I use CVS/PharmaCare for my meds. When they call to fill the order they go over all the meds I'm getting sent and all the meds that I have allergies to and then they ask if I would like to talk to the Pharmacist. When I receive my order I also get the information on the drugs with a list of contraindications and side effects along with overdosing info. I've never had a problem with them.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 11:24:27 am »
I use PharmaCare too, and likewise have never had a problem.  It's a specialized pharmacy division of CVS, not the actual "in CVS store" pharmacy.  I'd not used one before moving to Philadelphia, but at least here the one I go to -- and I go in the actual pharmacy myself instead of having things delivered -- seems to cater almost totally to HIV patients.  This may have to do more with the fact that until last year it was directly across from my HIV clinic though.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 11:58:35 am »
THEY LET ME TAKE TWO MEDS THAT HAD A BAD INTERACTION FOR OVER A YEAR !

Welcome FairFax,
Glad you found these forums and I hope that they can give you the support that so many else have found here.  ;D  (Just a nice reminder that cap lock means you're yelling at us  ;) )

besides Philly's questions about what meds, and why didn't your doctor notice this situation, I have to ask what kind and how "bad" an interaction this was if you let it go on for a year?

mikie
who has also had unsigned scripts when he's gotten to the pharmacy, but it was my fault for chatting with the doc too much as he was writing them out. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.