Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:25:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Latest From My Guest Blogger  (Read 4498 times)

Offline HopeandCope

• Hope and Cope
The Latest From My Guest Blogger
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:31:40 pm »
This is the latest installment of "J"s blog about living with her love's HIV.  For those that want to leave her a comment directly can go to http://magneticlearningcurve.blogspot.com/2008/11/tears-for-fears.html

TEARS FOR FEARS by Where Do We Go From Here

The other night D was asleep and I was watching one of our favorite TV shows on DVD. In the show the main character has been widowed after her husband suddenly died after a heart attack. She is still relatively young and all of the sudden alone. In this particular episode the last scene shows her sitting on the floor of her bedroom watching a video tape of her and her late husband together and crying.

I am usually unmoved by even the most heart wrenching movies, but that night, watching a fictional character cry I suddenly understood exactly what she was feeling. She had lost her partner, she was alone, she was scared, it's hard to explain, but I felt not only sad for her, but also fearful of one day doing exactly what she was doing. Sitting on the floor crying, not knowing what to do without my partner. I started crying and looked back at D, peacefully asleep. I though about it for a minute and decided my tears were tears of fear. I was afraid of losing him. I was afraid of his disease taking him away.

But then I realized that for one half of every partnership loss is just a fact of life. We will lose the ones we love. And it will always be too soon. We are never promised another second  in life, but we all seem to take for granted the blessing of every breath we take, every moment we enjoy. One day I will lose D, or he will lose me. You never know. He could get sick, or die in a car crash. He may outlive me by years and years. I could find out I have terminal cancer, or get hit by a bus. None of us, healthy or well, are promised more than this moment we are in.

Once I realized that I stopped crying, not because I wasn't afraid anymore, but because I realized something. The saddest part of the show for me was that her husband died suddenly. She had no warning and no idea what to do afterwards. She wasn't ready. She had taken for granted that he would be there always.

D and I have not been afforded the luxury of allowing ourselves to think there will be an always. His diagnosis has reminded us of just how precious and fragile life is. With today's modern medical treatments it is very likely that D may well outlive me, but he may not. I may eventually  lose him one day to his disease, or maybe tomorrow he won't make it home from work. Who knows, I may even just lose him to a failed relationship. I may never lose him at all, He may be the one to lose me. There are just no promises, save the one I made myself at that moment. I will not take for granted what we have. I will enjoy every second we are given. I will not allow little things to ruin otherwise happy moments and I will hope for a very long time together, but live every moment like it might be the last we ever share.

I wiped away my tears, turned off the TV and crawled into bed. I didn't sleep for a long time, I just laid there enjoying his warmth, his smell, the peaceful expression he wears when he sleeps just barely visible in the light leaking through a crack in the bedroom door. I cuddled up next to him and was grateful for every moment we have been given and for the one I was enjoying. I eventually I fell asleep content in knowing that while most of us will lose our partners one day many will have taken for granted that time they spent together and realize how much of it was wasted, but I have been lucky in being reminded that I may only have today and I will make the best of it.
Jude
Hope and Cope Support Site
A Safe Place for Families & Friends of HIV+ People
http://hopeandcope.blogspot.com/

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.