Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 350
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Finally made the plunge  (Read 68689 times)

Offline wolfter

Finally made the plunge
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:05:55 pm »
Finally put an offer in on a property that was surprisingly accepted by the seller.  He retired to Florida 3 years ago and is elderly.  This place has sat for over 3 years falling into disrepair. 

My realtor is probably happier than I am.  I finally accepted that I'd have to settle and not get what I had my heart set on.  I'm 2 blocks off the lake  :( but it's only a short walk.  But at least I have boat access. 

It's not a brick and mortar home either.  Another disappointment.  It's a huge double wide on a raised foundation that's about 15 years old.  It sets on 3 lots which is rare this close to the lake.

The greatest news is that I was able to put a substantial amount down and got creative with financing.  I was approved for an unsecured loan for the balance so I'll end up with a clear deed.  This allows me to not pay the ridiculous flood insurance premium.  I go to the bank at 1:30 today to do the final signature and pick up the check.

It's all been kinda strange as we've been in direct communication with the seller.  My ultimate goal is to either put some sweat equity into the place and turn it for a nice profit and buy my dream home, or maybe build one on the side lot and rent the existing doublewide.  I've certainly got my work cut out for me but am also quite excited.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Finally made the plunge
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:33:22 pm »
at first reading of the title, I was afraid you had fallen yet again. :o Don't laugh! ::) With you, anything is possible. LOL Speaking of which, how are the burns?

now that I've read this piece though, let me say CONGRATS!  ;D
(even if it does sound like you're piling enough more work onto yourself) :o
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »
at first reading of the title, I was afraid you had fallen yet again. :o Don't laugh! ::) With you, anything is possible. LOL Speaking of which, how are the burns?

SSH now, I've quit sharing my accidents/injuries here.   ;D  The burns are healing quite nicely.  I shared with Mitchy though about smacking my face the day before yesterday.  During humid days, I usually have to jerk the storage shed door pretty hard.  Well, I did just that and it opened freely and smacked me right in the face...lol  Thankfully, I own several pair of glasses exactly for events like this.  At least when I fell in the huge hole, I wasn't injured thanks to it being filled with mud and water.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:45:52 pm »

now that I've read this piece though, let me say CONGRATS!  ;D
(even if it does sound like you're piling enough more work onto yourself) :o

It's kinda strange that I have more energy now than any previous period in my life.  I don't know if it was the back to back episodes of being laid up for so long?  It's like I need to be productive every moment of every day.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 12:58:06 pm »
It's like I need to be productive every moment of every day.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
sounds like you need counseling. LOL  :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:08:55 pm »
sounds like you need counseling. LOL  :-*

Probably, but I haven't seen my regular bartender for a while.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:21:07 pm »
Congratulations on your plans for a new home . I always look forward to moving into a new space in the past because I enjoy the process of making it my own .

We will need a pictorial update on your progress ! .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »
PICTURES!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline britchick

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:29:47 pm »
That's fantastic news.Enjoy your new home.
britchick x

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:37:12 pm »
I've seen some of your handy work Wolfie so I know you have the talent to make this into a great home..keep busy but for God sake stay away from nail guns..oh no wait a minute it's OK, thank God the life insurance policy I have out on you covers those nasty things. ;)

Look forward to seeing some photo's.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:09:53 pm »
..keep busy but for God sake stay away from nail guns..

LOL but at the same time, my coworker's husband, in some freak action, shot himself in the chest with a nail gun last week and punctured his lung, barely missing his heart, so please take Jan's advice and stick to hammers!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:12:59 am »

During humid days, I usually have to jerk the storage shed door pretty hard.  Well, I did just that and it opened freely and smacked me right in the face...lol 

I did that once, and gave myself a multicoloured black-eye on Christmas Eve. Admittedly I'd just come home from the pub after having a few, which made me forget that the front door was sticky due to dampness. I unlocked the door and it stuck after opening about a foot, and I smashed my face right into it. Luckily I was wearing contacts instead of my glasses. Good times! lol

Be careful with the nail-gun. Be careful with that hammer - watch those thumbs! Get someone else to deal with the nails!!!! ;D

As for saws..... ::) God help you!

Hope everything goes well with the new place!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:37:13 am »
Thanks all.  I'm several steps closer, but we ran into a snafu.  I went to pay all the back taxes on the property (almost $10,000) and was informed they couldn't accept the payment from me since the property has already been filed for tax foreclosure.  We need to pay the tax and court costs via certified bank checks only with those checks being issued in the current owner's name.

He contacted the treasurer's office yesterday and they'll give him an exact amount that needs remitted.  He is also checking to see if he can issue a power of attorney for the purpose of paying the taxes.  The only other option is to wire him the money and have him overnight certified checks.  That option has me really concerned and I'll seek legal advice before proceeding with that.

Once that is done, it's a simple quit claim and I can immediately put the deed in my name. 

@ Ann, I might have been arriving home from the pub too.... :)  Surprisingly, I have never had a major construction accident.  But I do have a steadfast rule, no alcohol ever if I'm using anything that has to be plugged in.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:28 am »

But I do have a steadfast rule, no alcohol ever if I'm using anything that has to be plugged in.

Good thing vibrators are battery-operated, eh? ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 09:20:53 am »
Good thing vibrators are battery-operated, eh? ;D

Puleze, I'm still young enough and cute enough to not need such a thing.  All I need to do is hang out at a straight bar at closing time.   :o

Offline weasel

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 09:56:36 am »
 " @ Ann, I might have been arriving home from the pub too.... :)  Surprisingly, I have never had a major construction accident.  But I do have a steadfast rule, no alcohol ever if I'm using anything that has to be plugged in. "

Oh Dear ! That makes for bland sex   :-X

Weasel

P.S.  Good luck on the house  !
" Live and let Live "

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:00:12 am »
OK, I'm being so unproductive just sitting here anxiously awaiting the phone call.  It's time to go do something...anything.  I have 2 different decks I'm building for people and I'll go finish one.  It only needs the railing installed.  Good thing they let me work within my timeline.   8)

I might post pictures of these as it's the first time I've added some additional creative features.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 05:22:59 pm »
Got er done today!!!!   I made the seller provide a notarized statement that he did not rent or give authorization for anyone to live in the home.  One of our post members has been squatting there for a while now I guess.  Even had telephone service recently installed...imagine. 

He asked if I would be gracious enough to give him 2 weeks to get out.  He "allowed" me to tour the inside of the place.  Surprisingly better than I imagined, but still filthy.  Obviously, all new flooring and some serious bleach cleaning and paint.  And the yard is atrocious.  He had the nerve to tell me that he preferred that I not take pictures of the inside.  I'm being more passive than ever as I don't want a battle to have him removed.

Here are the before pics.  I certainly hope to post some new and improved ones soon.

I am so nervous, yet excited about the entire adventure.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »
Very well done ! . Just remember , no upholstered furniture on the front porch . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 05:29:29 pm »
By the time you are finished with it Wolfie it will be a dream home, look forward to updated photo's once you get started.

Aroha

Offline wolfter

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 05:33:39 pm »
Very well done ! . Just remember , no upholstered furniture on the front porch .

UM, didn't you notice there's already a sofa there?  I actually kinda felt bad as I wouldn't touch anything.  I had him turn all the door knobs to each room and I only glanced into them.  Luckily, I still have several pair of sweats that I can burn after each night of cleaning.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 05:34:48 pm »
By the time you are finished with it Wolfie it will be a dream home, look forward to updated photo's once you get started.

Aroha

Thanks darlin.  I'm heading over tomorrow to start on the outside.  Probably a good solid week to get that all cleaned up.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 05:40:43 pm »
Congrats Greg!
Hey, what's up with the 2 barns?
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 05:45:25 pm »
Congrats Greg!
Hey, what's up with the 2 barns?

I know!!!   I absolutely hate that.  I'm moving the smaller one around back for equipment storage.  The other one is huge and will make an awesome work shop.  That's gonna be my first priority so all my projects will be perfectly facilitated.  I tend to go OCD a bit on planning.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 05:48:39 pm »
I know!!!   I absolutely hate that.  I'm moving the smaller one around back for equipment storage.  The other one is huge and will make an awesome work shop.  That's gonna be my first priority so all my projects will be perfectly facilitated.  I tend to go OCD a bit on planning.

I thought one would be for clothing storage. ;D

Offline wolfter

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 05:53:14 pm »
I thought one would be for clothing storage. ;D

Nope, the 3rd smaller bedroom is adjacent to the master walk in closet.  A little simple reconfiguration and I can have the closet room of my dreams.  Complete with a lighted vanity station and amplification mirrors. :o  Oh, and of course a floor to ceiling shoe rack several feet wide.

Offline Habersham

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 06:00:51 pm »
What sort of body parts is the current tenant storing in the large barn?
Because I Can

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 08:32:19 pm »
You need to make sure there isnt a meth lab in that barn storage shed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:59:31 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:31 pm »
Congrats Wolfie....  can't wait to hear the renovation stories........ 

Hugs,
M

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:36 pm »
Nope, the 3rd smaller bedroom is adjacent to the master walk in closet.  A little simple reconfiguration and I can have the closet room of my dreams.  Complete with a lighted vanity station and amplification mirrors. :o  Oh, and of course a floor to ceiling shoe rack several feet wide.

If it doesn't end up looking like this then I'm not visiting.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 12:40:32 am »

Offline wolfter

Offline wolfter

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 03:59:09 am »
I did the wolfie thing this evening.  I felt bad for squarters  until I was told I couldn't take picss   After wanting to be frisked several more times, I gave him a break.   I have squatters and I had to prove I own the property. 

Offline Habersham

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 06:40:33 am »
I was just reading in a novel - and also in a NYtimes article about Detroit - if a squatter pays property taxes on an abandoned house - THEY own the property. Let's hope his name wasn't on any of those checks. In any event - it doesn't take two weeks to pack. Good luck!
Because I Can

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 07:50:40 am »
I did the wolfie thing this evening.  I felt bad for squarters  until I was told I couldn't take picss   After wanting to be frisked several more times, I gave him a break.   I have squatters and I had to prove I own the property. 

Im intrigued ... please tell us more about the squatters , you left me wanting more .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Bowie-esq

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 08:10:41 am »
What a beautiful house. Enjoy the adventure!
Infected: +\-01/2010

Tested positive 08/2010
28/07/11 CD4 420 9% v.l. 20500
16/10/11 CD4 320 10% v.l. 185000
10/11/11 begin Truvada/Viramune
29/12/11 CD4 410 13% v.l. 115
14/4/12 v.l. undetectable
05/7/12 CD4 520 19% v.l. UD
21/08/13 CD4 470 20% v.l. UD
19/12/13 CD4 430 23% v.l. UD
8/12/14 CD4 600 21% v.l. UD
4/2/15 CD4 600 v.l. UD. Cholesterol 6.2 ....

Offline wolfter

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »
Im intrigued ... please tell us more about the squatters , you left me wanting more .

someone called the police on me last night.   >:(  When I visited the property yesterday afternoon, the drunken squatters made me nervous.  I can't obtain insurance until next week since my agent indicates I don't have an insurable interest yet.  I was simply doing a security check on MY property....lol

This same fool was investigated when his own home was foreclosed on.   Within mere minutes of him leaving, and taking his dog for a walk, it went up in flames.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 02:16:38 pm »
I was just reading in a novel - and also in a NYtimes article about Detroit - if a squatter pays property taxes on an abandoned house - THEY own the property. Let's hope his name wasn't on any of those checks. In any event - it doesn't take two weeks to pack. Good luck!

Luckily, the only squatter's right in Ohio pertain to someone using a property for more than 21 years and then can claim a legal ownership to the property.  I wrongly have used this term myself.  This would only be a case of tenant's rights which they have none.  It's their responsibility to prove they had a legal right to be there which they didn't. 

I remitted almost $10,000 in back taxes to be able to clear them and be able to transfer the deed.  They've not paid one dime since just helping themselves to the property.  The Sheriff's office said I could have them forced immediately.  Since I've known the parties involved for quite a while, I again agreed to two weeks. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 12:50:39 pm »
I'm such an idiot, I thought Thursday would be the 2 weeks since I gave them the notice,  It's actually today.  Will be heading over there shortly.  Hoping they left it unlocked as we don't have keys yet.  Rec'd the deed yesterday so I'm all good to go as long as they don't attempt something funky.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2013, 04:38:03 pm »
I'm such an idiot, I thought Thursday would be the 2 weeks since I gave them the notice,  It's actually today.  Will be heading over there shortly.  Hoping they left it unlocked as we don't have keys yet.  Rec'd the deed yesterday so I'm all good to go as long as they don't attempt something funky.

Update please. Hope all went well! :)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 05:33:06 pm »
Update please. Hope all went well! :)

Yes ^ this ^.  I was thinking the same thing last night, but figured I'd be patient.  Now I need to know what went down!!!

Hugs,
M

Offline wolfter

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:52 am »
I'm suffering a bit today thanks to being angry and thinking I was still a young thug.  ;)  Thankfully, I'm related to the leadership of the police department and my step father was a retired deputy. 

I was given the option of pressing charges last night after being attacked.  I declined as I  choose to deal with these types of situations differently.  The one idiot tackled be from behind as I was walking away.  I ended up having him in a head lock that could have resulted in him having a broken neck if he resisted.

This has gotten way uglier than I imagined.  Sorry for their situation, but it is what it is.

Wolfie, who once again has an ankle that is bruised, swollen and bleeding. 

Oh yeah, did I need to disclose even though I was attacked?  :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:57 am »
Yikes!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:08 am »
Yikes!

I was admonished also.  supposedly, it's best to deal with these situations while totally sober...lol 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 09:39:57 am »
So I take it he/they aren't moved out yet?

ps- I think it's best for the police to handle this.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:42:55 am by mitch777 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:21 am »
They will be out today.  ;)  I could have done it last night but deputy Ron ( who has now touched me twice and I liked it) suggested waiting til this morning.  Shall be heading that way soon.  And thanks to CCW, I shall have extra protection ;)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 05:51:57 pm »
Will be thinking of you Wolfie....  make sure to rely on the police to do their job here.  No more broken bones allowed!!!!

Hugs,
Mike

Offline wolfter

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 05:59:26 pm »
Thanks Mike.  My uncle made contact with them this morning.  They agreed to be out today and are calling him when they are finished to let me know it's done.  I wanted the Sheriff's department involved, but they indicated it was more appropriate for the local PD.  I just didn't want it to look as if I was receiving special treatment.

He has also advised his officers to make continuous drive-bys.  He said he'd turn the keys over to me as if I'll use them.  Already have new locks and dead bolts ready to install.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 07:08:01 pm »
deputy Ron ( who has now touched me twice and I liked it)
gotta love a man in uniform

I shall have extra protection ;)
yes, you bring the protection to use with Deputy Ron; he'll have the handcuffs  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
How about an update Wolfe ? . How is the new place coming along ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 10:14:12 am »
I'm stressed beyond belief about the entire situation.  I had to have an evening out yesterday to forget about it all.  I still have trashy squatters that I will be dealing with today.  I've went from having deep compassion for someone about to be homeless to having hatred.  I absolutely hate that feeling.

I'm thinking I made yet another great mistake in life as I don't even anticipate enjoying any aspect of this.  I've been so stressed about it all that even I realize I've become too thin.  I've not been able to eat due to stress (long term pattern) and I simply don't generally feel well.

As I was typing this, I rec'd a phone call from the guy I bought this place from.  He wants to know when I plan on switching the electricity into my name.  He's getting annoyed as I told him I have no such plans.  I might own the property, but I'm not required to have electricity in my name.  I just paid a 3 month water and sewer bill as that's attached to the property and therefore is my responsibility and I'll be damned if I pay anything unrelated.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2013, 10:16:27 am »
I thought the sheriff was putting the illegal tenants out last week . What a mess . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 10:22:41 am »
They will put them out on the spot, but I keep being too nice.  They keep promising "just one more day".  These people are associated/related to people within my circle of acquaintances and I was trying to be compassionate but it has turned out that I'm simply a chump.

I'm deeply sickened at the thought of what I'm doing today but I have no choice.  I can't continue paying the costs for other men to live. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2013, 10:24:13 am »

As I was typing this, I rec'd a phone call from the guy I bought this place from.  He wants to know when I plan on switching the electricity into my name.  He's getting annoyed as I told him I have no such plans. 

I dont uderstand, all he has to do is call the electric company and stop the service since its in his name. Has he been paying for the squatters electric? Also if there was no electricity wouldn't the squatters leave?

I too thought all the sheriffs or whatever got them out a week ago.

Im getting lost
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline wolfter

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:23 am »
I dont uderstad, all he has to do is call the electric company and stop the service since its in his name. HAs he been paying for the squatters electric? Also if there was no electricity wouldnt the squatters leave?

I too thought all the sheriffs or whatever got them out a week ago.

Im getting lost

That's why I told him.  Simply shut the damn utilities off.  If he wants to be financially responsible, that's on him.  When I went there with the PD, I was convinced to give them a couple more days to get out.  I'm stressing about returning with the police again as I don't want to witness someone being thrown out.  I struggling with the entire anger/compassion thingy.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2013, 10:49:56 am »
  I'm stressing about returning with the police again as I don't want to witness someone being thrown out.  I struggling with the entire anger/compassion thingy.

Didnt these people just assault you and cause injury? I really think the time for compassion has passed.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline wolfter

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2013, 02:14:44 pm »
The deed is done.  I could barely stay in there long enough to take photos.  Had to come home in order to change into some of the sweat pants that I will gladly throw away after cleaning this sty.  For your pleasure, have included a few.

It already comes with furniture...lol

Heading out shortly to buy enormous amounts of bleack.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2013, 02:29:09 pm »
You will have it shined up in no time I'm sure .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2013, 02:34:55 pm »
Heading to Lowes now to pick up supplies and new locks.  Goodness, what have I gotten myself into?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2013, 02:36:36 pm »
Just remember , Home is where you drag it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2013, 03:34:59 pm »
I see the Salt Lick SWAT team swooped in suddenly and cleared out all of the miscreants.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2013, 04:19:27 pm »
Congrats Greg!
Celebrate by eating.
Are you really tossing out those lovely furnishings?
I'm happy for you and I know you will make it into your own comfy abode.
Still want to hear how it went today prying them out of there.
Fireplace. :)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2013, 05:34:24 pm »
congrats and good luck!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2013, 05:48:57 pm »
Happy that you have your place now!!  You were far more compassionate then most would have been.  Can't wait to see your progress as you turn this into "Greg's Place".

Only one pair of sweatpants??  don't you need a different outfit for each room (plus one for each trip to Lowes's)??   ;)

Celebrate with a nice meal!!  you must eat

Hugs,
M

Offline wolfter

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:57 am »
I tried googling, but I figure you all might have knowledge.  I spent the entire evening just doing the first cleaning in the kitchen.  My mother spent the entire evening cleaning one bathroom while my sister-in-law spent her time doing the other one.  My dear brother ran the wet vac for several hours.

Anyways, under the kitchen sink, we found around 15 instant coffee jars with a black residue in them.  There were also several jars of tongue depressors (Popsicle) sticks.  along with the razor blades all over the place led us to believe this was drug paraphernalia. 

OH, and here is what 6 hours in one room does.  I'm quite surprised that it was mostly filth.

OH, they also stole the appliances but I'm actually happy about that.  I can't imagine how nasty they would have been. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:59:40 am by wolfter »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2013, 12:00:02 pm »
I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but considering the caliber of the formerly illegal occupants I might be tempted to have an exterminator come over and give the place a once over. The last thing you want to discover once you move furniture in are bedbugs.

I wonder if that black residue is this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:02:18 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »
Good Job Wolfie ! . I once bought a repo mobile home and it was so filthy I spent weeks making it right and longer than that to do the repairs . There were 11 fry daddy deep fryers under the cabinets in the kitchen and I had to use a product to degrease car engines to cut the kitchen grease that over every surface .   

I had to use a yard rake on the floors before I ever thought about vacuuming , that and cut gummy bears out of the carpet with scissors  .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:36 pm »
I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but considering the caliber of the formerly illegal occupants I might be tempted to have an exterminator come over and give the place a once over. The last thing you want to discover once you move furniture in are bedbugs.

I wonder if that black residue is this.

I don't find anything smartass about that comment as I've been told the same thing by everyone who has stopped by.  I already set off 12 bombs that are supposed to kill any critters.  It's kinda sad that we swept all the carpets to simply prepare to rip them all out. 

I should have taken pictures of me stripping on the porch last night as I placed my clothing in plastic bags.  Of course, I immediately showered then went back outside and watched said bag burn in the fire pit as I sipped some refreshments.

I suspected black tar heroin as there were little black dropplets all around the place. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2013, 12:20:54 pm »
Good Job Wolfie ! . I once bought a repo mobile home and it was so filthy I spent weeks making it right and longer than that to do the repairs . There were 11 fry daddy deep fryers under the cabinets in the kitchen and I had to use a product to degrease car engines to cut the kitchen grease that over every surface .   

I had to use a yard rake on the floors before I ever thought about vacuuming , that and cut gummy bears out of the carpet with scissors  .   

:)  We actually did that too.  My brother suggesting bringing a leaf rake and we quickly discovered we needed a garden rake.  The funniest aspect of the entire evening was watching the reactions of others each time they found something gross.  In one of the bedrooms, my brother discovered a pile of shit (hopefully from the dog) that he promptly declared that I did in deed have "squatters"...lmao

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2013, 12:24:01 pm »
Just wait until you see what under the carpet , wear a respirator . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:51 pm »
I'm sure I've read that bombs aren't effective for bed bugs -- is that right or wrong?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2013, 12:42:46 pm »
I'm sure I've read that bombs aren't effective for bed bugs -- is that right or wrong?

I'm not well versed in this, but I don't think the bombs kill bed bugs.  I was fearful of fleas and roaches which surprisingly, we saw no evidence of. 

I've been calculating what it'll cost to replace all the floor surfaces.  I can put down laminate floors for around $2,000 which qualifies for 6 months, interest free.  that's still over $300 a month.  Yikes.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2013, 02:33:12 pm »

I think I read that too.  For bedbugs you need a pro exterminator,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2013, 05:12:27 pm »

Congrats on the new place Wolfie.  You'll have it looking great in no time.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »
I'm definitely convinced some drug activity was happening there.  I had the radio blasting while bleach cleaning with the doors propped open.  I then heard someone yelling JJ.  Walked into the living room to discover a distressed, crack head looking lady standing in the middle of the room.  All she could keep repeating was she needed to talk to JJ. 

Thinking about posting a sign on the door, something such as "This is now a crack free home".  Or perhaps, "Your dealer has moved to Hebron".

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2013, 08:37:53 pm »
I'm definitely convinced some drug activity was happening there.  I had the radio blasting while bleach cleaning with the doors propped open.  I then heard someone yelling JJ.  Walked into the living room to discover a distressed, crack head looking lady standing in the middle of the room.  All she could keep repeating was she needed to talk to JJ. 

Thinking about posting a sign on the door, something such as "This is now a crack free home".  Or perhaps, "Your dealer has moved to Hebron".

You will need a security system.

For real.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline wolfter

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:48 pm »
Have so far managed to get a few layers of grime off of everything.  I'm quite surprised that it's cleaning up a nicely as it is.  I expected to have to replace all the cabinets, now I'm thinking just counter tops.

Working 3rd shift tonight, so nighty night all.   :D

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2013, 12:16:09 am »
that's the same pix you posted 12 hours ago. LOL
(use a flash maybe to cut some of that yellow coloration ;) )

you are using adequate ventilation with your cleansers I hope. I do know someone (my mom's best friend's son) who passed away one night after having been in a closed up mobile home cleaning all day.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2013, 07:48:08 am »
that's the same pix you posted 12 hours ago. LOL
(use a flash maybe to cut some of that yellow coloration ;) )

you are using adequate ventilation with your cleansers I hope. I do know someone (my mom's best friend's son) who passed away one night after having been in a closed up mobile home cleaning all day.

I really must be getting exhausted.  I thought I posted a different one.  Lordy, I have a difficult enough using the camera portion of my phone without the added stress of learning how to change the settings.

And yes, I'm leaving all the windows and doors open as I'm cleaning.  The entire place now smells of bleach instead of skank. 

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2013, 01:57:04 pm »
I bet it won't take long for word to get around that your "drug house" is no longer a drug house. 

I have friends who bought a house 10 years ago after they got married and when they tore the paneling off the wall coke and meth fell out.  They took it all to the police.  The police knew it used to be a drug house and told them what they could expect to find.  They also had a professional come out and exterminate the place for the meth stuff before and after they did the remodel.

Enjoy your new place and change your locks asap.

Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2013, 02:20:45 pm »
If coke and meth started falling out of my walls I'd have a party, not call the police.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2013, 09:23:37 pm »
Where can I get one of these coke trailers?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:34:25 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline wolfter

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2013, 09:35:06 pm »
Hoping someone here has some home remedy answers.  My first several days working on the property, I never saw one sign of fleas.  They only seemed to appear after I started ripping the carpet out the Master.

I felt fleas all over my legs and went running out.  I had literally, 100's of them on me.  Obvious more infested than I though.  I immediately went and bought enough foggers for more than twice the amount needed.  Set them off and returned 8 hours later.  It appears to have made no difference.

I'm not walking back in there until I have a game plan.  I develop severe reactions to flea and mosquito bites and have a bunch of little welts over my beautiful legs.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2013, 09:42:47 pm »
Hoping someone here has some home remedy answers.  My first several days working on the property, I never saw one sign of fleas.  They only seemed to appear after I started ripping the carpet out the Master.

I felt fleas all over my legs and went running out.  I had literally, 100's of them on me.  Obvious more infested than I though.  I immediately went and bought enough foggers for more than twice the amount needed.  Set them off and returned 8 hours later.  It appears to have made no difference.

I'm not walking back in there until I have a game plan.  I develop severe reactions to flea and mosquito bites and have a bunch of little welts over my beautiful legs.

I think boric acid works . Also pot a lamp over a big ass bowl of water and they will jump in and drown . Use a desk type spot light about 12 inches over the water , I promise it works .

The hearts flea spray for carpets and furniture is the cheapest and surprisingly it works well too . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2013, 04:01:54 am »
www.stopthefleas.com is a comprehensive site Wolfie, although from reading the thread I think Miss P point about calling in the professionals might be the best move.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2013, 04:14:04 am »
They mention Boric Acid and under links will take you to the nearest professionals.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline wolfter

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2013, 05:55:50 am »
One of my buddies mentioned boric acid.  He agreed to go over and do his magic for $50 bucks.  SOLD.  When I stopped by again, it was only that one area that has them. 

I walked into every room except the master and didn't see any.  As soon as I went in there, they treated me like a celebrity.

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2013, 06:35:14 am »
Family owns rental properties. Been there, done that.

Fleas are attracted to vibrations. Walking across that carpet is what attracts them to you. Vacuums work wonders. So does the 'death by drowning' Jeff mentions. Foggers will kill them, just not immediately. The sooner you get the carpets out, the less places they have to hide. Expect a new batch in a week or two. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have to wonder what the crawlspace is like on that. You may need a respirator and hazmat suit to get under there. Winter's coming, make sure your pipes have working heat wraps.

Instead of burning your sweats, consider these. Someone said that Lowe's or Home Depot sells them. Much cheaper than replacing your clothes.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2013, 11:54:16 pm »
I got a new contractor to help with some of the work.  Not sure if I'm more excited about him or the work.   :o  He says he's a reformed Amishite.  He is married with kids, but I totally understood the nuances.  That's a totally different aspect but I suspect I will google amish porn later.  ;)

Anyways, after consulting with him, I'm not sure about knocking out a wall to make a master walk in suite.  I envisioned a cherry line wardrobe area that I could easily hang out in and be comfortable.  He's advising against it as it would reduce the resale value as there aren't many clothes obsessed gay men in the area.  ;(

We started the destruction in order to make it proper. He accomplished this all in one evening.  Of course I provided pizza and beer. 

Offline Fisher

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2013, 02:16:56 pm »
Great News! Lots of fun work ahead.
- fisher
06/15 CD 365 %24 VL<20
01/15 CD 468 %24 VL<20
09/14 CD 385 %22 VL<20
07/14 CD 391 %20 VLUD
04/14 CD 486 %23 VL<20
11/13 CD 351 %21  VL<20
10/13 CD 390 %16  VL<20
06/13 CD 315 %19  VL 22
02/13 CD 396 %14  VL<20
12/12 CD 392 %13  VL320
11/12 CD 428 %13  VL1200
*Started Meds: Atripla
10/12 CD 427 %11  VL 139000 -- 09/12 CD 408 %13 VL 92928
09/11 CD 745 %27 VL CLOT -- 10/10 CD 863 %29 VL 2782
10/09 CD 597 %30 VL 2537 -- 05/08 CD 809 %28 VL 1504
04/07 CD 797 %25 VL 3558 -- 11/06 CD 720 %28 VL 1214
06/05 CD 731 %25 VL 1575 -- 12/04 CD 1176 %30 VL 1329
01/04 CD 959 %26 VL 1011 -- 11/03 CD 1000 %28 VL 1581
12/02 CD 748 %28 -- 10/01 CD 860 %25
08/00 CD 1022 %28 -- 04/99 CD 854 %27
11/98 CD 899 %28 -- 02/97 CD 1400 %37
11/96 CD 1325  VL <500 -- 09/96 – Western Blot
05/83 – 04/98 - Mon - Pa

Offline Habersham

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2013, 05:12:08 pm »
OK, I can tell by looking at the plumbing that the toilet goes over there in the corner.

Help me out, is this your kitchen?
Because I Can

Offline wolfter

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2013, 08:44:39 pm »
OK, I can tell by looking at the plumbing that the toilet goes over there in the corner.

Help me out, is this your kitchen?

This is the master bathroom.  I really don't like the idea of having the walk in closet in there...but it's too costly to build a proper sized one.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2013, 05:04:40 am »
Realized I hadn't updated for a while.  going this weekend to finally get
paint and flooring.  Took this long just to be able to see the under the grime surfaces.  ended up agreeing to carpeting in the bedrooms and laminate in the rest of the place.  Already hired the carpeting guy.

I totally decided a grey on grey scheme for the entire place.  color-blindness has its benefits.  :)  Haven't decided on the grand scope of things, but if it's sold, will make enough to have my legit dream home. 

I will be on the lake one day without renting a boat slip.  I'll have to act quickly as the cheaper, smaller places are selling quickly.  The million dollar homes are out of my age bracket since I'm too old to have a pappy.  :)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2013, 09:47:07 am »

I totally decided a grey on grey scheme for the entire place.  color-blindness has its benefits.  :)  Haven't decided on the grand scope of things, but if it's sold, will make enough to have my legit dream home. 

I'm confused. Are you flipping this property for something larger now?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2013, 10:05:05 am »
Is flipping trailers a thing? Maybe you should start a show on Bravo

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline wolfter

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2013, 01:41:34 pm »
Is flipping trailers a thing? Maybe you should start a show on Bravo

Really?  So many thoughts that I refuse to display.  I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny at my expense or if it's just your nature.  Each time I think we're making progress, you make such asinine comments.  Where are the mods when they think something is over the top?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2013, 01:45:35 pm »
Really?  So many thoughts that I refuse to display.  I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny at my expense or if it's just your nature.  Each time I think we're making progress, you make such asinine comments.  Where are the mods when they think something is over the top?

I think Willy meant no harm Wolfe and I think all of us are happy you are doing something you like doing .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2013, 01:48:36 pm »
I think Willy meant no harm Wolfe and I think all of us are happy you are doing something you like doing .

BS, that was a demeaning comment and I see it for what it is. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2013, 01:56:44 pm »
BS, that was a demeaning comment and I see it for what it is. 

You are very well liked and I bet Willy will be sorry he offended you although I bet it was good natured ribbing .

My aunt just bought a mobile home and it cost much less than half as much as my house and is twice as nice , I'm a little envious myself and wish I had gone that route instead of living in the city . 

Check out what she bought for $67K , its the 2005 Keller , it never as been lived in and was a demo model   http://sehomesestates.com/?s=keller&submit=Go
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:49:59 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2013, 06:02:51 pm »
Wolf I apologize if I offended you.  At times I forget you have a delicate disposition and clearly my "nature" conflicts with that. I will bow out of this thread and take my ribbing elsewhere... MissP is about due for a dose anyways.

keep up the good work though, I will watch your progress from the sidelines.

Btw, I've seen plenty of trailers on sales lot here that are 10 times nicer than my house, and that I would have no probs living in.

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2013, 07:21:45 pm »
MissP is about due for a dose anyways.

Why bring me into this? That is just so rude and I am offended. What does this even mean? I asked wolftie a legitimate questions about flipping because the post I initially referenced was somewhat vague and I didn't understand the meaning.

You really need to stop playing games with people here.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2013, 03:23:37 am »
Wolf I apologize if I offended you.  At times I forget you have a delicate disposition and clearly my "nature" conflicts with that. I will bow out of this thread and take my ribbing elsewhere... MissP is about due for a dose anyways.

Btw, I've seen plenty of trailers on sales lot here that are 10 times nicer than my house, and that I would have no probs living in.

-Will

-Will

I apologize since some of your aren't aware of all I'm dealing with.  As I read through this thread and I am totally apologetic .  I've tried to understand humor in the scope of illness and death.  I hope you can all understand ,  my mother was recently diagnosed with the worst case of what's I'm dealing with.  She is a stubborn ass person.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2014, 03:16:35 pm »
OK, hoping you all might have some expertise in the heating field.  This place has a natural gas furnace that was working great until a couple of days ago.  Lost heat and had to shut the well down and drain the water lines until we get heat back.

I've contacted several furnace repairmen, but imagine....they're all booked up.

the issue:  the pilot light stays lit and fires up properly.  After the combustion chamber get hot, the fan kicks on.  Instantaneously, the flame goes out.  I can relight it over and over but it always shuts off as soon as the fan kicks on.

It appears as if there's some sort of kill switch that is telling the gas to shut off.  Any knowledge out there?

Wolfie

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2014, 03:41:56 pm »
OK, hoping you all might have some expertise in the heating field.  This place has a natural gas furnace that was working great until a couple of days ago.  Lost heat and had to shut the well down and drain the water lines until we get heat back.

I've contacted several furnace repairmen, but imagine....they're all booked up.

the issue:  the pilot light stays lit and fires up properly.  After the combustion chamber get hot, the fan kicks on.  Instantaneously, the flame goes out.  I can relight it over and over but it always shuts off as soon as the fan kicks on.

It appears as if there's some sort of kill switch that is telling the gas to shut off.  Any knowledge out there?

Wolfie

This sounds very similar to what we experienced.  It would kick on and then shut down.  One chamber wasn't lighting, due to the chamber rusting through.  I think there are 3 or 4 chambers.  It is designed to shut down, if all chambers don't light.  Otherwise, you have gas coming out with no flame burning it in that chamber.  Good protection. 

We were told by 2 HVAC guys that it would cost like $1,000 to fix.  I think that was due to the age of the furnace.  It was about 25 years old.  We opted to just upgrade.  Hopefully, that won't be the case with you and they can fix it and maybe yours is a totally different issue.  But, if it is older, they said this is a common issue. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »
This furnace has a single combustion chamber.  The home is 14 years old and the furnace worked fine until this happened.  It wasn't used for almost 3 years and I had it serviced after I bought the place.  It's strange as the pilot stays lit until the blower kicks on.  I don't know if there's some sort of relay that tells the pilot to shut down.  I'm googling like hell.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2014, 04:10:41 pm »
That happened to my water heater and the repair guy said some thingamajiggy went bad . Hope this helps .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2014, 04:22:32 pm »
You may have already found this.  I googled too. 

"It can be one of two things. A limit is being tripped and killing 24v to the gas valve and bringing on the blower or you have a crack or hole in your heat exchanger and when the blower kicks on it blows the flame away from the flame sensor. In any case it could be dangerous and you would want to get the system checked out."

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/furnace-lights-has-flame-but-shuts-off-when-blower-starts-413424.html

This also talks about flame sensor with pics.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,23422513

Offline wolfter

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »
That happened to my water heater and the repair guy said some thingamajiggy went bad . Hope this helps .

I found several thingamajiggies, just don't know to test them.   ;D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2014, 04:30:14 pm »
Im going out on a limb here because I do not know the right terms . Sounds like the pilot light thing is going bad and that's the problem . I had to light my water heater about 3 times a week before I figured out the wind in my attic was not the problem as I assumed .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »
You may have already found this.  I googled too. 

"It can be one of two things. A limit is being tripped and killing 24v to the gas valve and bringing on the blower or you have a crack or hole in your heat exchanger and when the blower kicks on it blows the flame away from the flame sensor. In any case it could be dangerous and you would want to get the system checked out."

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/furnace-lights-has-flame-but-shuts-off-when-blower-starts-413424.html

This also talks about flame sensor with pics.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,23422513

thanks for the link.  I already tested the thermostat and eliminated that.  I'm suspecting something is killing the voltage causing the pilot to immediately extinguish.  Oh well, I'll just use the fireplace when I'm there and wait on the repairman. 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2014, 04:43:32 pm »
  I don't know if there's some sort of relay that tells the pilot to shut down.  I'm googling like hell.

Hey Greg,...

A couple things here.  First, you may want to see if you can adjust the pilot light flame. Most of these are adjustable, and you may have to turn it up a little.  If you look at the pilot light, there should be a small gas line, running from the pilot light to another small gas control unit.  There should be a small slotted screw, that is used to adjust ONLY the pilot light flame height. It should be marked.

Second. Connected closely to the pilot flame ( In fact it is probably partially in the pilot light flame, is a small rod. ( about 1 1/2 inches long, and smaller in diameter than a pencil )

This rod is the thermocouple, that turns the flame off ( cuts the gas, to the pilot), should the flame become extinguished, for whatever reason. Once the flame goes out, the rod cools and causes the control mechanism, to stop feeding gas to the pilot.  Older furnaces ( many years ago) never had these, in which case, should the flame go out, there would be a small amount of gas leaking.

The thermocouple has a small line that runs to the gas control unit also.

The 3 things I would check, is two make sure the flame is adjusted properly on the pilot light, and that the thermocouple is functioning properly.

I would also check all access panels to make sure they are secured properly.  Seems to me, that I remember a shield of sorts around the pilot light, to help prevent the flame from going out. I would look for any possible missing sheilds or deflectors, around the pilot light

If any of the above is unfamiliar , then you really need to call someone to check the pilot flame and thermocouple. You don't need an explosion!!  :o

Pilot light thermocouple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNd2TAddg78

Good luck ---Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2014, 04:48:31 pm »
thanks Ray.  I'm going to change the thermocouple first.  I doubted it was the problem since it does light.  Normally, a pilot won't stay lit at all once it fails.  For no more than it costs, it's worth trying.  This unit doesn't have an adjustable pilot.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2014, 04:52:45 pm »

By the way, Gas hot water tanks have this thermocouple also.  It's code.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2014, 04:54:27 pm »

By the way, Gas hot water tanks have this thermocouple also.  It's code.

Ray

You sir are making me look bad with all your fancy correct information  .  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2014, 12:19:14 pm »
The repairman discovered the problem.  There is in fact a slight crack in the combustion chamber.  I made the problem worse by turning the heat down below 50 while not there.  When it suddenly got so cold, it was sucking too much air, thereby putting out the flame.

Because it's warmer, he was able to get it going again.  He says as long as I don't turn the heat down that low again, it should last through the season.  It'll be cheaper to replace it in the Spring as opposed to now.

I'm considering converting it to electric anyways. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2014, 03:08:12 pm »
Here are the latest pictures of the place.  I have the front rooms and one bathroom capable of being used.  I can tolerate painted subfloors until I get everything else done.  I have a pair of devoted slippers while hanging out there.

I divided the LR into several different areas.  That is too large for one room.  It also has a decent sized DR that I'll just put a more formal set that'll seldom be used.  My next goal upon healing is the floors.  In the mean time, it's relaxing to have a place to hang out and be alone.  :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2014, 03:29:38 pm »
That's a big space Greg! Looking forward to seeing the flooring.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2014, 04:50:21 pm »
where do the double doors lead?

you should provide us floor plans LOL

that place is looking SO much nicer. You have done a lot of very good work!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2014, 09:52:33 am »
where do the double doors lead?

you should provide us floor plans LOL

that place is looking SO much nicer. You have done a lot of very good work!

Those lead to the master suite.  That entire area measures 28' x 16' so I should be able to end up with a fabulous master closet.  I will custom build it.  I can't afford my desired cherry wood so I'll use birch with a cherry stain.  That area had the worst damage and I had to gut it to the joists but already have the subfloors all reinstalled. 

I had a foundation expert over a couple of days ago.  I wasn't sure why so much of the trim had come loose and was afraid of settling.  He said it was perfect and a lot of the issues probably arose from sitting empty with no heat for so long...thank goodness.  More money saved.  :)  I'm happy beyond belief that all the mechanicals were fine and simply needed servicing.

I already bought the components for my dry bar.  That large alcove in one picture will house a fabulous bar area. 

My dream was always to rehab an old Victorian or farmhouse, and this actually taught me a lot. 

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2014, 05:01:58 pm »
WOW you have had a major project on your hands.  The place looks huge!  Just a matter of weeks and you will have those windows open to let in the warm spring air. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2014, 08:53:42 am »
My closet update.  I've spent a week now customizing my closet.  I built my own shoe rack that still needs a couple of more shelves added and a casual clothes unit. Not too shabby considering this was a complete tear out and rebuild.

It has been a stressful year, dealing with this place, mom's illness and such.  Several times I was on the verge but somehow dealt with it better than I have in the past.  I even considered selling it as it seemed so daunting.  I also considered taking out a loan so I could pay to have it all completed.

Now that it's pert near done, I am ever so grateful that I didn't have to finance anything.  It feels awesome to have a sense of financial freedom that comes from not having a mortgage or rent payment.  I also petitioned for a tax abatement and was granted one for 2 years.  It's part of a program where they're encouraging people to buy distressed homes and fix them up.  They'll eventually garner more tax revenue in the long run so it benefits everyone.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2014, 09:01:43 am »
remodeling in our bedrooms - including my closet where some of the improperly installed racks have ripped out of the wall!! - commences next week.... maybe. LOL I still have a ton of cabinet doors to paint in the kitchen; but that shouldn't hinder my brother and his crew from doing the two bed and bath rooms.

Good work on your house!!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:32 am »
As I told you Mikey, I was amazed at your recent remodeling projects. 

Another goal I had was to replace all the 80's style, gold plated fixtures.  After an expensive ceiling fan and table lamp, I decided to temporarily fix all the problem gold plated items in the house.  I wanted everything in brushed nickle, but lord it's costly.  I bought several cans of brushed nickle spray paint.

The dining room ceiling is the last one that needs painted but that god awful gold fixture was driving me crazy.  A little paint and I can at least live with it for a while.  More pics for your pleasure.  :)

I just noticed that I need a little more ceiling paint around this fixture.  :(

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2014, 10:20:13 am »
replace all the 80's style, gold plated fixtures.  After an expensive ceiling fan and table lamp, I decided to temporarily fix all the problem gold plated items in the house.  I wanted everything in brushed nickle, but lord it's costly.  I bought several cans of brushed nickle spray paint.
ROFLMAO
we've been changing out those gold fixtures for brushed nickle too! Lord! Are switch plates expensive!!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2014, 10:08:23 am »
I like the brushed nickel Greg. Great solution!

For some reason I think the pics of your shoes is just the tip of the iceberg. Where are you hiding the rest?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2014, 11:27:18 am »
Jeff, here are the problem cabinets I was discussing with you.  I HAVE to get rid of the gold inlay design.  I was thinking of maybe just replacing the glass with simple colored glass but if you have any suggestions I'll listen.  Perhaps pay someone to create something unique?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2014, 12:18:26 pm »
I'm familiar with those type cabinets and its not to terribly difficult to pop the glass or plastic out to change it up but it is really expensive to buy that much stain glass in that large of sheets . If you had some one do leaded glass it would be thousands to have it done ... copper foil would allow you to foil and solder smaller pieces together but is very expensive also .

Have you considered primer and paint as an option ... or decorative tin like old ceiling tile ?     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2014, 12:33:00 pm »
Wow so industrious and such good results. I like those cabinets. I like the gold but of course now it doesn't go with your theme. Why not just put in clear glass. Or frosted plain glass.

I know Im a bit eclectic but what do people have against mixing gold and silver? My kitchen has mostly brushed stainless but I have brass mixed in and it looks homey. I even put glittery gold stars and comets stickers on my silvery fridge. Anyway I like it.

To me mixing gold tone and silver tones with wood warms up the silver.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline zach

« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »
whats the final look you're going for wolfie? punched tin panels in the cabinet doors would look very cracker barrel country, but would blend with the brushed nickel

Offline wolfter

« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:31 am »
I'm trying to achieve a toned down Turkish theme with a little French Riviera thrown in.  Definitely not doing a country theme.

Any sort of tin or punched metal will definitely produce a country feel.  I had a friend who's a real estate agent give me a detailed list of things that should be replaced based on the current market.  He says that's the number one complaint from home seekers is 80's style fixtures.

He says this will be an easy sell if I choose to go that route.  He knows of no other properties this close to the lake that has 3 lots.  I sit directly across from the Yacht club and boat launches so this would be ideal for some of the seasonal people. 

I guess I'll settle for colored glass as I see stained glass panels are out of touch with my pocketbook.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25:41 am »
The reason I mentioned tin was because they are not always punched or country ... some are contemporary in design and very easy to work with . I do like the idea of glass though .

Wolfe ... I used to go to glass company in town and raid the dumpster with their permission . They installed new windows for folks and brought back the old ones with the old wavy glass .

I would take the glass and foil the edges in copper and solder them together its super easy to do . I have a cabinet in my kitchen that I used old glass I found and threw a in few bevels I bought to dress them up .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2014, 08:35:52 am »
One of the things I like about copper foil work is you can incorporate anything interesting into the piece as long as it can be foiled and soldered . I have made windows out of everything to bits or metal to geode slices ... the geode slices are beautiful when back-lit or in a window . This is not specific advice advice for your projects but considering all the possibility's can get your creative juices flowing and lead to the perfect plan .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2014, 09:00:57 am »
I've been searching and I found some really pretty options.  Home Depot has different colored glass and I'm really drawn to the bold red.  It has that wavy look to it.  I think that means it has a higher led level?  removing the existing glass will be a piece of cake.  It is only caulked into place.

There's a product also available where you can frost existing glass but I know the existing design will be visible.  And I'm a dumb ass, my sister is the office manager at a glass manufacturing plant so I'll give her a holler and see if she has any thing I might be able to use.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2014, 10:25:47 am »
Awesome!!!!  I got the replacement panes ordered today at an unbelievable price.  FREE!!!!  My sister's company has both P516 obscure glass and frosted acid etched glass.  She is bringing them to me next week and I told her I prefer the acid ones.

She is bringing me a sample of the obscure just make sure.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »
having relatives in certain professions sure can be helpful. That whole island we installed in the kitchen came at almost no expense.

pictures. i wanna pix of these new panes when you get them installed. :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2014, 10:14:13 am »
A bit off topic but I rec'd other pretty good news yesterday that was the antithesis of the original news that I was initially upset about.  Right after my mother's diagnosis, she took out a loan on her pick up truck to finance a long, around the country vacation visiting all her sisters.  I didn't even know about this until we were going through her financials.  I've obviously changed my mindset and am glad she did that.

I made a ridiculously low offer to the finance company expecting that they would reject it.  None of us really need another truck and weren't willing to pay what they loaned her on it.  They accepted my $500 offer to settle the debt.  I asked each of my siblings if they wanted it and none did.  So now my 30 year old S10 has a younger companion S10.  It's purple, but what the heck.  :) 

We've also all reached the point where we're ready to deal with her personal affects.  Every time I've entered her bedroom, I became overwhelmed.  None of us have been able to sort through things.  We're going down later to pack it up to donate to a local church that provides free clothing to the needy.  I see an emotion packed evening.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:11 am »
A bit off topic but I rec'd other pretty good news yesterday that was the antithesis of the original news that I was initially upset about.  Right after my mother's diagnosis, she took out a loan on her pick up truck to finance a long, around the country vacation visiting all her sisters.  I didn't even know about this until we were going through her financials.  I've obviously changed my mindset and am glad she did that.

I made a ridiculously low offer to the finance company expecting that they would reject it.  None of us really need another truck and weren't willing to pay what they loaned her on it.  They accepted my $500 offer to settle the debt.  I asked each of my siblings if they wanted it and none did.  So now my 30 year old S10 has a younger companion S10.  It's purple, but what the heck.  :) 

We've also all reached the point where we're ready to deal with her personal affects.  Every time I've entered her bedroom, I became overwhelmed.  None of us have been able to sort through things.  We're going down later to pack it up to donate to a local church that provides free clothing to the needy.  I see an emotion packed evening.

I know that when my dad died I payed off his credit cards although it was my understanding that his estate was not under any obligation to do so ... not sure about an automobile loan though . It could be they were happy to get anything they could from you .

I had to gather my dads possessions when I sold his home and it was hard to part with things and very emotional ... it took me a few years to get rid of the things I had no need of so I am looking back and remembering that when I read where you are in the process .

Hope you can get through this with some happy memories ... its a tough part and almost like having to say goodbye again . Hugs . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:13 am »
Hope you can get through this with some happy memories ... its a tough part and almost like having to say goodbye again
sorting through someone's belongings is the second worst part of them dying. :-X It really is a time when you say goodbye. Goodbye to things in your childhood (often parents will still own things we made/bought/had as children), goodbye to times you shared together and just goodbye.

My thoughts when doing this "sorting" was to get rid of as many things as possible and only keep the things I could really use or that really "mattered". Things I didn't know what to do with or didn't know if I should part with, I simply boxed up. Then during my subsequent moves (which happened yrs later), I've revisited those boxes and threw away more. It was easier to pare down to the essential items to keep when some time had gone by.

Hugs my friend <3
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2015, 02:48:39 am »
I realized I hadn't update this thread for a while.  It kinda turned into dealing with mother and this place.  I have one bedroom that is full of boxes.  My brother and I simply boxed up everything of mom's and it's stored floor to ceiling in one of the bedrooms.  We still haven't went through it as it hasn't even been a year yet and will get to it.

Other than that, I've managed even with all my injuries to continue what I could.  It's actually fun now that I got the new flooring down and doing the decorating aspects.  Greg has been awesome and enjoys helping me do the girly touches.  He said how much he enjoys being here and how comfortable the place is.  I have seen the home he lived in the last 15 years and this doesn't compare but he indicates that he feels more love here than that place. 

And of course, I have to post a photo of one finished room.  I was given my maternal grandmother's cherry dining room suite that just brings a sense of her into my home.  I loved her so very much.

I think this room turned out pretty OK.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2015, 05:44:13 am »
Very nice Greg !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:49 am »
I recently finished up the walls in the last room (my den) at our house. Gone is the old wallpaper and a beautiful color (called "tea and honey") is on the newly patched, plastered and sanded walls). We still have to put flooring down in the den and my bedroom; but that's all that's left (well except for the baseboards after the flooring LOL) after the remodeling because of the black mold.

Your dining room looks lovely! Do you have placemats for the table?

Glad to hear you and the other Greg are still going strong.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2015, 02:01:34 pm »
Looks great Greg!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2015, 03:15:06 am »

Your dining room looks lovely! Do you have placemats for the table?

Glad to hear you and the other Greg are still going strong.

Placemats?  Absolutely NOT!  :)  I didn't even want curtains but relented on sheers.  I even reupholstered the seats with a high grade, marine grade vinyl.  Anything made of material kinda freaks me out a bit.  I like all my surfaces to be able to bleach clean.  And I like a very minimal look.

I tolerated things on the counter top for about a week.  I stared at that clutter (he called it decorating) and finally had to put everything away.  IMHO, only a coffee pot should be visible. 

I'm just glad to be done to the point where I can focus on the outside when the weather permits.  I spent a lot of last summer indoors constantly working. 

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2015, 08:02:59 pm »
What a difference Greg !
don't know how I missed this thread ,
I love renovations , just not the mess .
can't believe you accomplished that with all your injuries !
Looks ready for a cozy pot roast dinner !!!
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:21 am »
What a difference Greg !
don't know how I missed this thread ,
I love renovations , just not the mess .
can't believe you accomplished that with all your injuries !
Looks ready for a cozy pot roast dinner !!!

Thanks.  I've been searching for stock blueprints for the new place but am not having much luck.  I hope to break ground in early Spring so I can have it finished before the end of Summer.  Years ago, Bill and I looked at a house that sat atop of a huge garage and I fell in love with it.  I couldn't convince him it wasn't exactly an apartment...lol 

I want a smaller ranch house around 1200 sq ft.  But I want it to sit on top of a 1200 sq ft garage.  Lots of obvious benefits but the greatest being that I wouldn't have to carry flood insurance.  We're noticing these types of homes being built quite often around here.  Flood insurance is quite expensive when you sit below a lake. 

This entire region was created in the middle of a swamp.  They built an earthen damn to hold the swamp at bay creating a huge lake.  It was built to provide water for the newly formed Erie Canal.  So all of the homes here sit below lake level.  And god help us if the earthen damn ever gives way.  20 years ago or so, the huge spillway damn started cracking and bowing.  They had no choice but to open all the locks and flood the village.  Had it completely collapsed, the area would have been swept away.  The fortunate part was that all the derelict homes couldn't hold up and were razed.  There were a lot of thrown together cottages to house workers and weren't even built on foundations.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2015, 11:11:46 am »
Hey Wolf,
Stay out of that flood zone !
Cost us dearly when we sold our house on the water.
Had to lower the price to get a cash buyer,
A bank would require the new owner to pay a 5,000 $ premium,
Not to mention wind insurance , and homeowners.
Big bunch of shit !

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2015, 10:28:19 am »
How odd that I previously mentioned the dam and it possibly breaching.  The Army Corp of Engineers recently declared that there is a high probability of a complete breach.  They have all but drained our beautiful lake and said it could take upwards of 5 years to shore it up.

The housing market is already suffering and the other Greg said they wouldn't even consider a home mortgage loan in this area.  He says that they would consider loaning 75% of an independent appraised amount.  Which means the average lakefront home buyer would need at least $100K down payment. 

At this point, it's so unsure that I'm probably going to hold off building on the side lot.  Or perhaps I'll build the garage now and wait to erect the apartment portion.

I'm totally screwed if this dam does breach as I don't have flood insurance and can't obtain it now.  I'll be one of the first people swept away as I sit right in front of the earthen dam.  My Allstate agent says they won't add flood insurance to our existing policies if we didn't already carry it.  Makes sense actually.

I did just finish one of the guest rooms but I doubt anyone would feel comfortable staying in there. :o

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2015, 10:47:14 am »
I did just finish one of the guest rooms but I doubt anyone would feel comfortable staying in there. :o
If you replace your mattress with an air mattress, you'll have an instant raft when then waters sweep across town. Since they deflate and will pack well, I'll bring some of my pool floats when I come visit.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline zach

« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2015, 10:51:31 am »
no love for the COE, less than 1% of american rivers run free... to damn many dams

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2015, 03:07:40 pm »
Seriously Wolfe, stay out of the flood zone.
The new implemented flood zone rules are crazy ,
and are subject to change with out warning.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2015, 06:56:13 pm »
He's already in the flood zone. At least I think that's what he said. 

Greg thinking of you dude.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2015, 08:30:43 pm »
I called the bait store before walking several yards.  Being prepared once my box went empty.  We must be like the koch family as we were discussing how far to go in debt to snacht up distressed properties

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2015, 10:35:15 pm »
Greg, you want to be a landlord?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bocker3

« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2015, 07:46:34 am »
I now have a vision of Greg, the property mogul, running around with a bad comb-over on his head, yelling "You're Fired!".   ;D

M

Offline wolfter

« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2015, 09:57:32 am »
Greg, you want to be a landlord?

I'd prefer not to as I'd be charged with discrimination.  I'd only rent to cute, thin single guys.  :)

Seriously Wolfe, stay out of the flood zone.
The new implemented flood zone rules are crazy ,
and are subject to change with out warning.

We have no choice, our entire region is in the flood zone.  The lake is the highest point and everything sits below lake level.  Most of the newer homes around here are built atop garages.  It's one way to avoid costly flood insurance as the garage isn't considered living space.  It's already a requirement that the foundations must be raised to 6 feet so you might as well build it on top of a garage.

It's quite odd though as double wides can be put on a property and must only be raised 3 feet. 

I now have a vision of Greg, the property mogul, running around with a bad comb-over on his head, yelling "You're Fired!".   ;D

M

I actually quite like the Donald.  I never miss the apprentice. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2015, 09:59:51 am »
I never updated the photo after I replaced the horrible glass in the cabinets. 

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2015, 10:25:54 am »
Well that makes sense, I didn't realize the entire region was in the zone.
Most new structures in flood zones
must be raised .I think the garage is a wise move , at least it's a
Functioning space, also really nice feature for winter ! I would love one.
Keep our fingers crossed on the damned dam not bursting !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2015, 03:55:02 pm »
The guest room is done and usable!  Part of that process involved moving all of my mother's boxes into the dining room so I could put the new floors down.  There was no way I was moving those boxes again and so I reached out to my siblings several times.  Kept getting the same answer; "soon". 

I don't do well with disorder and sent them another message indicating I was sorting through it all yesterday and if I did it alone, I'd make the decisions on what to do with it.  2 of the 3 texted back and said that was fine.  I made 3 trips to the Goodwill store in additional to filling my trash tote and have the back of the Durango loaded with stuff to pitch at work in the large dumpster.

I'm happy with the few pieces that I kept that remind me of her but also that I like.  The only thing left is a huge box of vhs tapes that span 30+ years.  Not only will that be time consuming but also very emotional. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2015, 02:08:06 am »
have to show a pic first to explain the story.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2015, 07:07:05 am »
is that the other property?
I hope the sale goes through for you!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2015, 01:45:35 pm »
Yes, and I can't believe I'm starting the same process all over again.  Same exact scenario as my existing property.  Once the property owner was notified that it was in tax foreclosure; he immediately moved out.

He basically told some of his homeless friends that they could stay there for as long as they wanted.  So I'll once again have to fight to remove squatters.

If I win the auction bid, I can finally get rid of this eyesore and trash.  I'll have almost an acre which is unheard of in this community.  This crappy trailer is also my only obstruction of seeing the lakefront.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2015, 11:14:01 pm »
This crappy trailer is also my only obstruction of seeing the lakefront.
I can't wait to see pix of the demo ;)  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2015, 12:49:12 am »
If I get that property, I can finally have my personal dream home.  A total downstairs garage and workshop that's about 1,000 sq feet.  That would almost dictate that'd be the size of my home above it.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2015, 10:46:47 am »
Well, I've owned this property for 2 weeks now.  Paid a $98 sewer bill for grown ass adults to shit.  I walked over a few days ago and confronted them.Thankfully, I was 10' tall and bullet proof.  :)

Even though this is a civil matter, I have an advantage with our local pd.  My uncle had one of his officers make contact with them and it might become epic historical legend

Offline wolfter

« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2016, 10:20:34 pm »
So I had to file a court motion to evict these fools.  We went to court last Thursday.  The judge threw it out because they claim to have a valid lease with the previous owner.  I have to pay another filing fee of $120.00 and change the wording.  WTF????  I was so upset over this knowing they'd suck up yet another month of expenses for me.

When I told some of my good buddies at the post about this, they were pissed and continued to convince me to let them handle it.  I finally said if they think they could help, have at it.  They stopped over there yesterday to "discuss" the matter with them.  They've been loading pickups all day.  Not sure what transpired, nor do I need to. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2016, 01:10:21 am »
Finally put an offer in on a property that was surprisingly accepted by the seller.  He retired to Florida 3 years ago and is elderly.  This place has sat for over 3 years falling into disrepair. 

My realtor is probably happier than I am.  I finally accepted that I'd have to settle and not get what I had my heart set on.  I'm 2 blocks off the lake  :( but it's only a short walk.  But at least I have boat access. 

It's not a brick and mortar home either.  Another disappointment.  It's a huge double wide on a raised foundation that's about 15 years old.  It sets on 3 lots which is rare this close to the lake.

The greatest news is that I was able to put a substantial amount down and got creative with financing.  I was approved for an unsecured loan for the balance so I'll end up with a clear deed.  This allows me to not pay the ridiculous flood insurance premium.  I go to the bank at 1:30 today to do the final signature and pick up the check.

It's all been kinda strange as we've been in direct communication with the seller.  My ultimate goal is to either put some sweat equity into the place and turn it for a nice profit and buy my dream home, or maybe build one on the side lot and rent the existing doublewide.  I've certainly got my work cut out for me but am also quite excited.

Wolfie

I kinda wrote my last few years on the forum.  how awesome

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2016, 11:02:31 am »
Well Greg ....did you get rid of the wingnuts ?
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2016, 09:09:34 pm »
have to show a pic first to explain the story.

This trailer sits on the 2 lots we bought.  I've hauled over 20 loads of trash from there.  We're gonna turn it into a unique shelter house.  It can't be rehabbed but has other uses since it's already there.  I've developed the designs in my head that'll soon come to fruition. 

Thankfully, I have friends whom love to demolish walls for mere beer.  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:12:10 pm by wolfter »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2016, 07:20:38 pm »

Been so long, not sure if I know how to post photos correctly. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2016, 09:48:40 pm »

Been so long, not sure if I know how to post photos correctly.

this is now all law

Offline wolfter

« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2016, 09:50:38 pm »
this is now all law

think I meat lawn

Offline bocker3

« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2016, 10:49:07 pm »
think I meat lawn

Hmmmm??  is the box empty now?   ;)  :P

"meat lawn" -- like Lady GaGa's dress........

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2016, 11:56:54 pm »
Wolfter, baby, I think you need to knock off the vino when you're visiting the forum ;)

The thing is, I understand what you mean ("lawn," not "law" and "meant," not "meat"), and I'm sober, so at least you've got an excuse.  What's mine? :o
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2016, 04:37:43 am »
I think you need to knock off the vino when you're visiting the forum ;)
or..... simply pop off that "N" key and clean up the keyboard so it works all the time. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2016, 02:24:52 am »
I type better after vino.  Been a rough little patch of late but am getting things in order.  Sad when long beliefs get shattered.  I'm doing ok now and am pefecting my game plan. \\

I can zoon my screen but not the keyboard so sometimes I can't see the needed buttons.\\

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.