Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:12:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 606
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible infection through ulcers and blood  (Read 4754 times)

Offline howdythere

• Standard
Possible infection through ulcers and blood
« on: May 25, 2013, 11:07:53 am »
I recently perfomed oral sex on a guy I didn't know (casual encounter). I asked him what his status was; he said it was negative . . . . but you can never be sure because many people are sexually active and don't get tested. Anyway, the reason why I'm worried is because I had a herpes simplex outbreak in my mouth and had ulcers in my upper gums and roof of the month (just on the left side). I get this outbreak about once a year (recurrent). In addition to herpes, I had had a tooth extracted two weeks prior to giving oral sex. Blood was still visible in the cut even after a week, but I think that at the time of performing fellatio, it was half-way healed--though I wouldn't be surprised if I still had some blood in that area. The guy did pre-cum some, but I performed fellatio for probably less than 5 minutes and stimulated him more with my hands than my mouth, and he didn't ejaculate in my mouth. I'm going to get tested at 4 weeks, then at 8 and finally at 12 just to be on the safe side; but I am a little stressed out. Should I be worried.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Possible infection through ulcers and blood
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:28:56 am »
Hi Howdy , you didnt have a risk for HIV in the situation you described but you probably gave the guy you were blowing herpes . Both Herpes Type 1 and 2 are communicable and can present on the genitals as well as the face and mouth .

Your tooth extraction wouldn't be a factor after a week and the red you saw where the tooth was is probably healing tissue and not an open wound . Your saliva contains dozens of proteins and enzymes that damage HIV and render it unable to infect , so you did not have a risk even if he had HIV .   

There have been no fewer than three separate serodiscordant couples studies (where one person is HIV positive, the other negative.) These couples were tracked for three. five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative vaginal and anal sex, but NO BARRIER at all for oral sex. Any kind of oral sex.

These studies yielded NO infections.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline howdythere

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 12:46:21 am »
Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it.

Offline howdythere

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:16:36 pm »
   Two nights ago I had sex with a man whose status I don’t know. Honestly, I don’t think he knows either because the last time he got tested was over a year ago. Before we did anything, he inserted meth and water through a syringe into his rectum (booty bump). I put on a condom, although there was perhaps an inch that was left uncovered, and then I topped him. It lasted less than a minute because I got nervous and began to lose my erection. We continued to do this three times, but I switched the condom for a new one each time. The sex was not very rough and it didn’t last long. I couldn’t see if the condom broke because it was a little dark in the room. When I went into the bathroom, I didn’t notice any blood on my penis. I’m wondering how risky this experience has been for me. I plan on a getting tested in September.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 02:14:10 pm »
If you had protected anal sex then there is no risk or reason to test at this time for this incident . If you cant be sure if you had protected anal sex then you will need to test at the appropriate time . You can test at 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months to confirm the results .

Please do not start any other threads and keep all of your questions and post here in your original thread . You can find your thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline howdythere

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »
27 days ago I had unprotected sex with a guy I didn't know. We met online and decided we would meet and hook up at his place. Before having sex he told me that he had gotten tested, and even before I arrived at his house, he had texted me that he only played "safe." When it came down to it, we never used a condom.

I was the top. Since he didn't have lube, we starting using some hand lotion, which after some time was starting to burn him and me. So we washed off and then used Vaseline. The sex was a bit rough at times but not too bad. It lasted maybe around 20-25 minutes. I had to go slow most of the time, so I pulled out a lot. After we got done, I asked him if I could see the document that proved he had been tested. He started to look for it but couldn't find it. He tried to assure me that he had tested negative for all stds except hiv; he was still waiting for his hiv results. I asked him if he knew he didn't have hiv, but he tried to distract me saying other stuff that was irrelevant. He told me not to worry, that he wasn't a "slut." I started to worry at that point.

I knew I shouldn't have had unprotected sex, but I believed him at first when he told me that he was negative. Thing is I should've specified if he was negative regarding hiv. Anyway, I sent him an email and a text a couple of weeks later asking him if he had gotten his results back, but all he said was that he didn't remember who I was. He never even replied my email. That wasn't encouraging, but I wasn't going to harass the guy into answering my question.  Furthermore, for days after we meet, I had a small reddish/pink area on the shaft of my penis, like a little rash that was not painful. It could've been from irritation, but I wasn't too worried about it because it didn't look like an std.

22 days after we had sex, I started having symptoms: terrible abdominal pain, wheezing, vomiting, and severe nausea. I was pale and had a very mild fever. I also kept going back and forth to the bathroom. I was thinking that the pain would go away after vomiting and going number 2. It kept me up all night till about 3, when I decided to go to the emergency room. The nurses took blood samples, did ct scans, hooked me up to an iv with serum, and I was even injected morphine to kill the pain. I was there till about 8 in the morning. I was prescribed hydrocodone and promethazine for pain and nausea and was told to follow up with a doctor at the hospital after a few days. The doctor said that more than likely what I had was a stomach bug (she was making a diagnosis based on symptoms.) I told the doctor about the possible hiv exposure I had and asked if she could order a pcr test. After she inquired about it with hospital staff, she informed me that I would have to contact the health department or talk that over with the doctor I had been referred to.

I've been sick for 4 days since the visit to the hospital. my symptoms have gotten better, but I'm still taking the medication, and from time to time, the nausea come back. though not as strong as the first time. I don't have much appetite, but I've been eating as much as possible and drinking plenty of water and Gatorade. It's strange to have viral gastroenteritis last for more than a couple of days.

Anyhow, Tomorrow will be 28 days since my last possible exposure, and I'm going to a clinic in my city to get a rapid test. I know it's still too early to get accurate results, but I've read online where people say that 28 days is a somewhat good indicator of your status. I'm very nervous.

Do you think based on my symptoms and my situation that I could have been infected? I'm sorry that I've written so much.
Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 04:37:49 pm »
Your 3 month post exposure test will be conclusive.

Offline howdythere

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:40:14 pm »
27 days ago I had unprotected sex with a guy I didn't know. We met online and decided we would meet and hook up at his place. Before having sex he told me that he had gotten tested, and even before I arrived at his house, he had texted me that he only played "safe." When it came down to it, we never used a condom.

I was the top. Since he didn't have lube, we starting using some hand lotion, which after some time was starting to burn him and me. So we washed off and then used Vaseline. The sex was a bit rough at times but not too bad. It lasted maybe around 20-25 minutes. I had to go slow most of the time, so I pulled out a lot. After we got done, I asked him if I could see the document that proved he had been tested. He started to look for it but couldn't find it. He tried to assure me that he had tested negative for all stds except hiv; he was still waiting for his hiv results. I asked him if he knew he didn't have hiv, but he tried to distract me saying other stuff that was irrelevant. He told me not to worry, that he wasn't a "slut." I started to worry at that point.

I knew I shouldn't have had unprotected sex, but I believed him at first when he told me that he was negative. Thing is I should've specified if he was negative regarding hiv. Anyway, I sent him an email and a text a couple of weeks later asking him if he had gotten his results back, but all he said was that he didn't remember who I was. He never even replied my email. That wasn't encouraging, but I wasn't going to harass the guy into answering my question.  Furthermore, for days after we meet, I had a small reddish/pink area on the shaft of my penis, like a little rash that was not painful. It could've been from irritation, but I wasn't too worried about it because it didn't look like an std.

22 days after we had sex, I started having symptoms: terrible abdominal pain, wheezing, vomiting, and severe nausea. I was pale and had a very mild fever. I also kept going back and forth to the bathroom. I was thinking that the pain would go away after vomiting and going number 2. It kept me up all night till about 3, when I decided to go to the emergency room. The nurses took blood samples, did ct scans, hooked me up to an iv with serum, and I was even injected morphine to kill the pain. I was there till about 8 in the morning. I was prescribed hydrocodone and promethazine for pain and nausea and was told to follow up with a doctor at the hospital after a few days. The doctor said that more than likely what I had was a stomach bug (she was making a diagnosis based on symptoms.) I told the doctor about the possible hiv exposure I had and asked if she could order a pcr test. After she inquired about it with hospital staff, she informed me that I would have to contact the health department or talk that over with the doctor I had been referred to.

I've been sick for 4 days since the visit to the hospital. my symptoms have gotten better, but I'm still taking the medication, and from time to time, the nausea come back. though not as strong as the first time. I don't have much appetite, but I've been eating as much as possible and drinking plenty of water and Gatorade. It's strange to have viral gastroenteritis last for more than a couple of days.

Anyhow, Tomorrow will be 28 days since my last possible exposure, and I'm going to a clinic in my city to get a rapid test. I know it's still too early to get accurate results, but I've read online where people say that 28 days is a somewhat good indicator of your status. I'm very nervous.

Do you think based on my symptoms and my situation that I could have been infected? I'm sorry that I've written so much.
Thank you.
I almost forgot to add that, on top of everything, I have canker sores (I think that's what they are) or ulcers in my lower lip and a herpes outbreak in my mouth. I get a herpes outbreak if I'm too depressed or ill. I don't know why I have the other type of ulcers though.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 04:42:53 pm »
Please do not start any other threads and keep all of your questions and post here in your original thread . You can find your thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . I have asked that you do not start any other threads so please do not do it again no matter how long or what the subject matter is .

You had a risk and will need to test at 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months to confirm the results . We do not discuss symptoms that could be caused form many other things than HIV .

You can never trust if a person really knows or is honest with their HIV status so please use condoms each and every time you have sex . You probably should not bother the guy again because the bottom line is you will know your status when you test and not from what he may or may not say .

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV. Some of the other STDs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid HIV infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.