Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:37:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773297
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 609
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First blood test since initial Dx  (Read 9412 times)

Offline Charles.M

First blood test since initial Dx
« on: July 06, 2023, 10:22:49 pm »
I was DX on 5/20m first Vl on 5/26 was 63400 with  CD4 of 72. I just took my first test after taking Biktarvy for exactly 30 days and my Vl has dropped to 63 a 1000% drop. I know below 200 for 6 months is virally suppressed. So it looks like I am on my way, all other blood test were within normal ranges. The Dr did not order CD4 yet. I go see her again on the 21st of July.
05/22/23 INITIAL DX
05/26/23 CD4-72/VL-63,400
06/06/23 STARTED BIKTARVY
07/05/23 CD4-NT/VL-63
08/08/23 CD4-163/VL-21
09/15/23 CD4-NT/VL<20
10/17/23 CD4-162/UD
12/25/23 CD4-149/UD

Offline harleymc

Re: First blood test since initial Dx
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 04:55:45 am »
Charles, that's great news.

You're on the right track baby.

Very happy for.this.first step on the way back to great health.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 07:28:43 am »
That's great news to hear!
Having such a low VL with other blood work numbers good is a great thing!

below 200 for 6 months is virally suppressed.
actually a VL < 200 is virally suppressed/successful treatment.
I would imagine by the next VL test you'll probably be completely UD at that point.
Being UD for 6 months means you can't transmit HIV through sex.

That really is good news. Keep up on those daily meds and you'll see your cd4s creeping on up soon too. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Charles.M

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 04:40:31 pm »
Went to Id doctore today all went well, she was thrilled that my VL went from 63,400 to 63 after only 4 weeks of Biktarvy. She stated that I am now officially virally supressed. While I am happy about this it is my understanding that you need to be below 200 for six month to be officially virally supressed? All numbers are good and she scheduled me for another VL test and CD4 count in 4 weeks from now. This will be about 10 weeks since starting Biktarvy. Mine only issue and she did not seemed that concered was BP @ 150/90, I normally run @ 110/70. This result is technically stage 1 hypertension. Personally I think it is stress of being newly diagnosed and lack of sleep.

I know the mental part of it is very tough! She has suggested I see someone, I do not feel I need that. I do wish that there was a better support network in my area but they just no longer exist. I assume this is because of the lowering amounts of infections. I also assume that many folks are reluctant to participate and as they progress thru treatment want to keep their condition secret and private. I thank god for this forum it really is the only thing i found. I informed her about the monthly video conference and she thought that was good for me. I really have become somewhat at peace with this condition maybe seems quick to some.

So i ask for those who have had this for awhile, does everyone need to see someone to reconcile thier condition? Also will I ever get a decent nights sleep?
05/22/23 INITIAL DX
07/05/23 CD4-NT/VL-63
08/08/23 CD4-163/VL-21
09/15/23 CD4-NT/VL<20
10/17/23 CD4-162/UD
12/25/23 CD4-149/UD

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 05:20:49 pm »
She stated that I am now officially virally supressed. While I am happy about this it is my understanding that you need to be below 200 for six month to be officially virally supressed?

She is essentially correct. Your viral load is currently supressed.

The viral load is supressed in term of treatment and had been in study for new drugs etc anything below 50 copies would count as "fully supressed"or. "UD" so you are close to study perfect.

However, TaSP (U=U) that's different, you need a supressed viral load, defined as being below 200 copies for six+ months, after that you can't pass it on sexually. See https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71848.0

The issue is this is blood viral loads vs genital fluids. Genital fluids the vl drops at a similar rates with some delay as seen in the blood work, but it might take a bit longer, this and several other reasons is why the Swiss statement (U=U today) includes the 6 month of having supressed viral loads in he blood test results before saying you can't pass it on sexually
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 05:41:59 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 05:39:00 pm »
Not sure if that made sense. Lost my glasses and typing on the phone tonight doesn't help matters, so I apologize for any spelling or grammatical issues because I can barely see what I'm typing
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 05:43:15 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 12:09:59 pm »
Mine only issue and she did not seemed that concered was BP @ 150/90, I normally run @ 110/70. This result is technically stage 1 hypertension. Personally I think it is stress of being newly diagnosed and lack of sleep.
Like a lot of bodily function results, a one time snapshot doesn't mean much. Statistically, you need to have at least 3 data points to graph a trend. It's a little early ;D to self diagnose hypertension based on one reading.

Every time I have a doctor appointment I have to have my BP checked twice, once at the start of the visit and again by the time I'm through giving blood to the phlebotomist. The first reading is ALWAYS high, the bad kind of high. The doctor and I have concluded, after this high number happened a number of times, that in a rush after Larry gets off early from work, driving an hour out of rural SC through Charlotte traffic, guzzling Coke and playing name that tune, artist, year, and lyrics to the area's 60s-2020s radio station seems to jack my BP right up. LOL TBH though I don't mention it to my doctor (it's that whole they don't have enough help for mental health care), simply visiting the doctor gives me anxiety that's a much bigger factor to my high BP than no matter how many crappy drivers I cuss out and flip off on the way through town.

I know the mental part of it is very tough! She has suggested I see someone, I do not feel I need that. I do wish that there was a better support network in my area but they just no longer exist. I assume this is because of the lowering amounts of infections. I also assume that many folks are reluctant to participate and as they progress thru treatment want to keep their condition secret and private.
The history of HIV patient mental/emotional health support is a crappy one. In the beginning everybody was just dying....and there was no mental health support for going through that shit, unless you were lucky enough to get a more caring nurse or hospice worker. Then HIV meds happened and the industry decided that simply not dying was good enough mental health support. But then a lot of PLWH advocacy and some Ryan White funding put together some really good peer support and support groups for a while. As you noted though, that support depends on where you live and how many PLWH live in that area. (HIV healthcare is like that because of how few people are HIV+. How many PLWH live in your area decides how far you have to drive for a doctor/support). These days there is less support because there are fewer PLWH.  Thankfully, treatment has turned HIV into a chronic manageable disease so there are fewer PLWH whose lives are disrupted enough by HIV to need support.

While some PLWH may not use support services because of privacy or stigma (although when you're seeing doctors or peers to deal with support for HIV, I don't see how either of those issues is a real issue); actually, as evidenced (by that many, many, many peer support groups and programs I and others have created/worked on) the fact seems to be that most PLWH don't seem to want to put in the effort to support or use mental health support interventions.

I really have become somewhat at peace with this condition maybe seems quick to some.

So i ask for those who have had this for awhile, does everyone need to see someone to reconcile thier condition? Also will I ever get a decent nights sleep?
Everyone comes to grip with this at their own rate. Some need help; a lot don't. Sometimes it's quick and easy; other times, it's a constant drumbeat in our lives. Sometimes both those situations are possible even. At first dealing with this diagnosis is troublesome to many because, quite frankly, you have to talk about it so much. Your doctor, you pharmacist, your partner, your friends, your family. A lot of disclosure can happen at first; but after a while the people who need to know, know; and the people who don't need to know don't.

Really however you want to reconcile your thoughts or feelings is fine. You'll incorporate this new aspect of life, when you're ready.

As far as sleep, between the diagnosis and adjusting to meds, it's not unrealistic to have sleep problems for a while. Although ..... I would be remiss if I didn't point out that age could be a contributing factor too.  ;) :) Have you mentioned this to your doctor? Have you tried any over the counter sleep aides?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Charles.M

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 03:19:36 pm »
Got some good news today from the vampires.
I started treatment Biktarvy on June 6, with a VL of 63,400 and a CD4 of 63
blood tested on August 8 VL of 21 and a CD4 of 163. I feel this is huge jump.
Almost UD and almost to stage 2 Hiv vrs Aids.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 03:45:53 pm by Charles.M »
05/22/23 INITIAL DX
07/05/23 CD4-NT/VL-63
08/08/23 CD4-163/VL-21
09/15/23 CD4-NT/VL<20
10/17/23 CD4-162/UD
12/25/23 CD4-149/UD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 04:14:43 pm »
Congratulations!!!
Thanks for sharing your good news with us :)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 04:44:32 pm »
Congratulations having a UD viral load.

So fully supressed viral load a few times in a row now, great stuff and if you keep taking your meds the viral load will remain fully supressed
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 04:46:34 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.