Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:49:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 625
Total: 626

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 2 year old's Temper Tantrums  (Read 3694 times)

Offline SecretKeeper

2 year old's Temper Tantrums
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:32:20 pm »
My "adorable" two year old is maxing out the number of tantrums she has in one day.  ???  She is pushing me over the edge (and I think she's happy about it).  Any suggestions on dealing with the truly terrible twos?  (besides something that would land me in jail  ;) - lol)

Offline Dachshund

Re: 2 year old's Temper Tantrums
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:42:46 pm »
Do gypsies still buy children? :o

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »
I'd lock her in a closet, but then I can only deal with ANY child for about 2 minutes.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 02:02:58 pm »
Gypsies huh?  Know of any in Iowa?  It might be worth looking into. - Heck, I'd pay them to take her!  I could lock her in the closet until they arrive.   ;D  Thanks for the help! 

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 02:37:04 pm »
I'd lock her in a closet, but then I can only deal with ANY child for about 2 minutes.

It's called Hide-Indefinitely-&-Don't-Seek, and it's hours of fun. If you're concerned about her making a mess in the closet, a simple roll of duct tape works almost as well.

Brent
(Who cannot respond seriously to a child-rearing thread because he's not very paternal)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 02:48:23 pm »
I remember what worked with my sisters when they were two. You begin taking things they value away. And when they were behaved and were able to sustain the good behavior, they would get things back one at a time.

In this day and age, you can get sued by your kids if you lock them in a closet... ;)

But, try taking valued items away...not just a toy here and there...but it helps teach that for every choice there is a consequence, good or bad. It's similar to puppy training...I hate to make the correlation, but it's true...

Good Luck...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 05:18:15 pm »
Secret, before offering any suggestions seriously, can you say more about the circumstances under which they have been happening, how they begin and how they end?

Children of course are emotional  and physical cannibals. You're there to be her servant and she doesn't want you to ever forget that. Not even when she's 30. But within those lovely parameters you can learn to deal a bit. In general it does help if you can avoid losing your temper, as difficult as that maybe. 

So say some more about it. A parent needs lots of support in coping because it can become awfully overwhelming otherwise.

Cheers, 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 05:20:17 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 07:40:53 pm »
You know Secret, people used to tell me to go to Tough Love, do this and that.  Let me tell you, the only thing that I could do when my daughter (who's now 23) acted like that at that age, when she took it to the extreme, was to go into another room, or send her to her room.  Just to GET AWAY from her for a little bit.  Otherwise, I would have lost my mind.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 10:36:31 am »
Thanks for all your suggestions.  I am making baby steps - I've started eliminating movie time - her favorite.  Which, of course, causes a whole new temper tantrum, but I've been working through it and sticking to my guns (most of the time).  Would anyone else like to raise her until she's "normal" again? ;)  The sticking to it part is the hardest, but I now realize, the most important.  Maybe someday I'll be good at this motherhood thing.  (Maybe by the time I'm a grandma!)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 04:14:39 pm »

:)  How about an exorcism ? !!  Sorry, I really can't give any advice. I haven't been around a two year old, in probably 40 years. Although, I have been around some adults that act like two year olds.

I wouldn't know what to do. Good luck though. Hope things get better. Can you bribe them with money ?  ;)

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 06:16:23 pm »
you know some people say.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 06:18:52 pm »
  I can remember my grandmother taking me into the bathroom, and sitting in front of the door so I could not get out.  She would then read bible stories and tell me how disappointed Jesus would be in me if he were in there with us.  LOL  By the end of the session, she was driving me nuts, and I would have done anything to get out.  Ahh, but good behavior was not good enough to get let out.  No, She Was In Control Now.  When She Decided You Had Heard Enough, Then you could get out.  LOL LOL LOL  LOL      ::)
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 06:31:21 pm »
Hang in there ...I am on my second set of two year olds......children all grown  now but grandchildren are in the  2 to 4 range.......we have dealt with tantrums in different ways...depends on the child.....girls who value their "dollies" or some special item of food  are denied that until they accept that "tantrums" cost you something....not love but something...the boys seem to respond better to physical issues......losing certain "territory"..like not being allowed to sleep on the bed...but on a mat on the floor...or can't sit at the table to eat with everybody else...must sit by themselves on a stool or at the counter...of course every child responds differently but so far that is my experience with mine,my families and grandchildren....make specific actions and time to regain whatever they lost...  and of course there are always the hugs and "I love yous at any time"
You just have to hang in there and be consistent, firm and loving....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.