Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:05:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 454
Total: 455

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How many latent reservoirs identified for HIV till now?  (Read 11901 times)

Offline barbod

How many latent reservoirs identified for HIV till now?
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:30:22 am »

Scientists are working on hiv eradication found latent reservoirs in the body. The only reliable reservoir that all scientists agree on, is the T memory cells in the blood, but some other researchers point to other latent reservoirs such as macrophages, bone marrow...

Everyone that knows anything about this topic please share updated news.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:51:47 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline barbod

Re: How many latent reservoirs identified for HIV till now?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 06:48:36 am »
I wanted you to share your ideas about it.
do you think that in the near future we may expect the solution to the eradication of virus from body?

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:59:01 am »
i ask this question all the time "are there any trials testing certian compounds that could target latent reservoirs,other than new HAARTs and gene therapy?"
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline georgep77

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:25:53 am »
I wanted you to share your ideas about it.
do you think that in the near future we may expect the solution to the eradication of virus from body?
The answer to your question barbod is: Nope !!! the Big pharma is not looking for that kind of solution, they need to keep getting profits from HAART at least another 25 years.

Ps: Hopefully I'm wrong.
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline barbod

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:05:32 am »
I hope it wouldn't be so.
If there is profit in HAART therapy so it would  be more in cure. because the number of infected people in the world guarantee the turnover. The governments prefer to spend on cure than the medication.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 10:38:56 am »
i ask this question all the time "are there any trials testing certian compounds that could target latent reservoirs,other than new HAARTs and gene therapy?"

There have been trials that looked at valproic acid which did not pan out.

Other compounds and/or drugs have been found to stimulate latency such as Zolinza a/k/a SAHA (a drug already approved and used for treating cancer).  It was only discovered to affect HIV latency earlier this year so one would hope that clinical trials will follow soon enough.

There is also prostratin, which I believe is in pre-clinical studies looking at how it affects HIV latency.

The most exciting and promising research in this area is what was announced recently in which Robert Siciliano and his team were able to develop an in-vitro model for latency.  This is very big news, it allows many compounds to be tested in a fairly short time, it speeds up considerably the process of finding something that works.

LINK:

More Progress Toward The Goal Of Eradication

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=29205.0

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/recent/2009/101609_b.html
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:11:54 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 11:07:35 am »
This commentary in the Philadelphia Inquirer discusses the state of research and goals toward eradication:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=30131.0
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:53:06 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline veritas

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 06:35:06 am »

Study to test therapies to eradicate virus --- just beginning:

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/hotnews/therapies-to-eradicate-hiv-infection.html

v

Offline xman

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 01:02:03 pm »
I found another study currently in phase II and sponsored by Pfizer and Merck.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01019551?term=eramune&rank=2

Detailed Description:
The overall strategy of the ERAMUNE 01 Trial is to treat selected patients with an optimal synergistic antiretroviral regimen plus one or more immunomodulating agents. Among immunomodulating treatments the candidates include therapies from two functional classes: 1) agents that target actively replicating cells and 2) agents activating latently infected cells31.

The novelty of this approach is three-fold: first, the use of highly potent antiretroviral therapy combining drugs with different HIV enzymes targets or receptors and different penetrations in cells, with the aim to suppress virus to truly undetectable levels as measured by the most sophisticated viral quantification techniques; secondly, the addition of an immunomodulatory therapy that specifically targets viral reservoirs to this intensification strategy; and lastly, the rigorous selection of patients having already a low HIV reservoir as measured by peripheral blood HIV DNA content. To our knowledge, this type of strategy has not been implemented. We believe this strategy is feasible.

It's curious that Pfizer is sponsoring a trial for eradication considering they founded with GSK a new company, ViiV Healthcare, to develop new antivirals.  ???

Opinions?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:05:13 pm by xman »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:31 pm »
Basically they are trying treatment intensification with raltegravir and maraviroc but also adding IL-7 as an immunomodulator.

There have been trials that have looked at treatment intensification alone, which did not show any evidence of any effect on reservoir size. The difference here is they are adding IL-7.

There was a recent non-randomized study, discussed in the thread linked below, that looked at intravenous immunoglobulin [IVIG] given in high dosage together with effective antiretroviral therapy [ART] to see if had an affect on reservoir size. They did find a decrease in reservoir size and also noticed that levels of IL-7 increased. They found a spike in the plasma viral load of most of the participants and were able to show that this virus was coming directly from the reservoirs. This is important because it is in the plasma that the virus is then susceptible to ART.

Since they noticed a spike in levels of IL-7, this new trial is going directly to IL-7 and bypassing the IVIG, which I understand is very expensive and maybe not realistic as a treatment option for the masses.

LINK:

High-Dose Intravenous Immunoglobulin May Reduce Latent HIV Reservoir

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=27241.0
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:49:02 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline barbod

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 03:01:42 am »
If the mentioned researches are promising, so what about the researches that are going on by Siliciano(John Hopkin's) or Wender(Texas U.)!?
The new strategy for decreasing reservoirs may be efficient by these trials but I think there is lack of enough science related to latent reservoirs. Beside, by allowing stem cell researches I hope that it would be helpful in finding cure.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 11:48:56 pm »
There is a supplement that has been shown in the lab to stimulate latent HIV.  I have used up my first bottle and am about to start the second.  Not recommended to use beyond a certain number of days (maybe 30 or 60).  As far as I know, there has been no attempt to determine if this may work in humans.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=29505.0

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 04:01:48 am »
Mitch,how long have you been using it for ? have your blood tests shown any differance ?

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 10:30:38 am »
Mitch,how long have you been using it for ? have your blood tests shown any differance ?

The standard viral load tests that those of us with HIV regularly get measure copies of virus in the plasma, not in the reservoirs. There are different tests that can check reservoirs, these are the tests used when doing clinical trials and research studies, which to my knowledge are not available from a regular lab.

It's possible that if there is a depletion of some latent HIV from reservoir sites it can cause a spike in plasma viral load, as was seen in the study linked below. So if mitch has a spike in viral load it could possibly be due to virus coming from the reservoirs but the only way to know for sure is to perform the more sensitive tests that check reservoirs specifically.

LINK:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=27241.0
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:17:20 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline veritas

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 08:52:10 am »

See this study done in 2007.  Transient viremia, Plasma Viral Load, and Reservoir Replenishment in HIV-infected patients on ART.

http://www.eeb.cornell.edu/lej4/Publications/ProofsJonesPerelsonJAIDS2007.pdf

There is a more sensitive VL test given by the Mayo Clinic which can detect <5copies. I'm sure it is available elsewhere, however, Mayo is the only location I'm familiar with since my blood was sent there one time.

v

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 11:27:13 pm »
I've only used one bottle which took about 3 weeks to consume.  I was really busy for about ten days and then started the next bottle.  After I finish that one, I'll stop for several months, then recycle.  The active ingredient is a natural herbicide, know to protect the black walnut tree from invading shrubs.  For this reason, it is not recommended for continual use.  It is most frequently used as part of a regimen to eliminate certain intestinal parasites.

I haven't had any blood work done recently.  I no longer have VL load tests taken since I'm 100% adherent and have been undetectable for nearly 7 years.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:48 am »
There is a supplement that has been shown in the lab to stimulate latent HIV.
I haven't had any blood work done recently.  I no longer have VL load tests taken since I'm 100% adherent and have been undetectable for nearly 7 years.
so you're doing your own experiment on yourself by taking a supplement that stimulates HIV, yet you have no base line tests, nor have taken any tests to check for a viral load spike which you're hoping your meds eradicate rather than the virus developing immunity/resistance.

How will you know/prove if any of this has actually done anything positive?
How will you know to stop this experiment in the event it has an adverse effect?
how do you even know that you have been UD for that long if you are not having tests done?

wow. your method leaves something to be desired to understand if it's having any benefical effect. Just saying.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 02:57:02 am »
 I no longer have VL load tests taken since I'm 100% adherent and have been undetectable for nearly 7 years.

huh ???

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 10:59:15 pm »
I had VL tests done for 5 years.  I'm no longer insured and given the high cost of VL tests and studies available that suggest the odds of resistance is extremely low for those who have been undetectable > 2 years and are 100% adherent, I don't see the reason to spend thousands for something unnecessary.

As far as an experiment, I'm simply taking a supplement that MAY arose latent HIV... but if it doesn't, there's nothing lost except a few dollars and the time to take it.  Actually, it seems to make my mind more alert... not sure why.  At any rate, it would seem I have everything to gain and nothing to lose by taking this supplement... right?.. regardless whether I really know it's working on not.  The only way I would know would be to have tests run that are not commercially available to detect latent HIV and very low levels of VL (well below 50).

Here's an article published today on blood work and HIV:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/173735.php

ARTs Safe Without Routine Lab Tests, Lancet Study Finds
Main Category: HIV / AIDS
Also Included In: Primary Care / General Practice;  Clinical Trials / Drug Trials
Article Date: 11 Dec 2009 - 6:00 PST

email icon email to a friend   printer icon printer friendly   write icon view / write opinions   rate icon rate article
Current Article Ratings:

Patient / Public:   5 stars    

5 (1 votes)
Health Professional:   not yet rated    

Article Opinions:    0 posts

A Lancet study published online Tuesday validates the safety of administering first-line antiretroviral therapy (ART) to patients with HIV without routine toxicity and efficacy lab tests, "but tests of immune-system function might still be a good idea to monitor the progression of the disease and guide the second year of treatment," HealthDay/U.S. News & World Report reports. Patients in Africa "often receive [HIV] drug treatment ... without routine laboratory monitoring," according to the article.

For the Development of Anti-Retroviral Therapy in Africa (DART) study, researchers examined the benefits of routine testing for side effects experienced by patients on ART and measured the efficacy of the drugs. The researchers divided more than 3,000 HIV-positive adults from Uganda and Zimbabwe into two groups - one group received monitoring in a doctor's office and laboratory; the other only received monitoring in the doctor's office (12/9).

"The results of one group of patients were given to doctors routinely after each three-monthly test," the BBC reports, adding that "for a second group the results of toxicity tests were only passed on to doctors if they gave cause for concern - and this hardly ever happened."

The news service continues: "The results show that 90% of people whose results were routinely passed to a doctor were alive after five years compared to 87% in the group whose results were only passed over if abnormal." There were no differences in side effects between the two groups, according to the BBC (12/9).

However, the authors did note that "CD4-cell count monitoring has a small but significant benefit in terms of disease progression and mortality, probably owing to slightly earlier switching to second-line ART," according to HealthDay/U.S. News & World Report (12/9).

The BBC adds: "For health policymakers in Africa, DART provides evidence that more people could be treated for the same amount of money by not using routine laboratory tests," said Diana Gibb, of the Medical Research Council, who was involved with the study. "This would substantially reduce the number of people dying with serious disease due to HIV infection" (12/9).

Health-e also examines the results of the DART trial and features comments by Francois Venter, president of the Southern Africa HIV Clinicians Society, and HIV/AIDS advocate Gregg Gonsalves (Thom, 12/9).

"DART results have major implications for ART programmes in Africa at a time when there is uncertainty about long-term funding and sustainability and when most people still cannot access treatment," the study authors conclude. "With less need to provide routine monitoring, particularly for toxicity, funding can be focused on drug procurement, strengthening of diagnostic laboratory services, and training and supervision for health-care workers to foster quality clinical monitoring, to support scale-up of ART rollout to rural Africa where 60% of the HIV-infected population live" (Lancet, 12/9).

A Lancet comment also examines the results of the DART trial (Phillips/van Oosterhout, 12/9).

This information was reprinted from globalhealth.kff.org with kind permission from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. You can view the entire Kaiser Daily Global Health Policy Report, search the archives and sign up for email delivery at globalhealth.kff.org.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:01:24 pm by MitchMiller »

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 10:29:05 pm »
Inch thanks for posting your research updates and links!  - waiting sorta anxiously for results of the trials including the IL-7 trial. It does seem that things are moving with some pace in the right direction...
I know it is a bastard of a virus though.
I was thinking maybe the fact that this virus does not survive in animals makes research move faster as trials must be carried out on humans (except maybe the SIV trials in monkeys). Difficult for those who volunteer for treatments that are not successful but then spectacularly successful in cases like the Berlin patient.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.