Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:45:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 641
Total: 641

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently tested + and am lost,  (Read 8992 times)

Offline Despondent

Recently tested + and am lost,
« on: January 01, 2023, 06:05:51 pm »
Hi,

Diagnosed Mid Nov 2022, had simply gone for a regular check up and test to get on Prep. No reason to think I would be +.  Never been sick, never did anything that made me concerned or second guessing, no symptoms. Dr. was surprised.

Initial results. VL 100,000 CD4 180 - Started on Bitkarvy immediately.

All other normal checks were good for a late 50's guy. I'm fit, in great shape, and up until now lived a fairly quiet, normal life.

I am now, per my username, despondent, anxiety riddled, lost, unable to focus, concentrate, cannot get it out of my head, it's like a bad song - but never goes away. I don't know what to do, where to go. It's soul destroying to be honest.

I had no side-effects of medication, apart from slight nausea but that could be my anxiety as well, it's so bad my skin feels like i've got electricity running through me.

Test results after 1 month. VL 100, CD4 just shy of 300.

My Dr said this was excellent. My CD8's are really high - and I have read conflicting articles on what this means. If someone could explain in plain english?

My cholesterol has gone through the roof, my potassium is through the roof. I am hoping these will settle down - the potassium is in line with kidney issues - again, i'm hoping this is just temporary, as everything I read indicates it is quite serious.

I know I said I had no symptoms prior to diagnosis, but some skin issues, nothing major that were odd to me, cleared up after being on medication after about 2 weeks.

I have read every entry in this blog, at least 5 x, I have researched ad nauseum. I know so many have gone through so much more than me, I don't mean to diminish anyone else, and all the stories have been enlightening, but I'm having a pitty party like I've never experienced in my life. I'm a good guy, who feels like I've been kicked to the kerb. Thank you for allowing me to post.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Recently tested + and am lost,
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 06:29:49 pm »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but glad you have started treatment and, within one month, have seen great VL results.

As for the cholesterol, any details about what you mean when you say it is elevated? This can spike slightly when starting treatment; give it time to settle; it doesn't sound like your doctor monitoring this is bothered.

My CD8's are really high

Yeah, it would be you have HIV and had untreated HIV with it only being suppressed recently. What exactly do you mean by high, though? The average count is 150 to 1000, more interesting to look at the CD4:CD8 ratio

Anyhow, an elevated CD8 count is common enough with untreated HIV; no surprise, the immune system is being attacked, and the CD4 count is declining. After treatment, the CD4:CD8 ratio can remain inverted for some, slowly getting somewhat better usually but not always, and it can indicate ongoing inflammation.

Nothing much you can do about it other than take your HIV meds to suppress the virus and let your immune system have time to recover.

https://i-base.info/qa/20
https://www.aidsmap.com/about-hiv/cd4cd8-ratio

Take it easy.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 06:38:38 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Despondent

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 06:49:02 pm »
Hello Jim, thank you for your reply. My CD8's were 1760.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 06:54:40 pm »
Hello Jim, thank you for your reply. My CD8's were 1760.

Oh okay, not the end of the world stuff.

Now your VL has started to be suppressed, give it a few months, and the CD8 should start to settle. What did your doctor say?
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Despondent

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 07:08:07 pm »
He didn't mention them, but it was over the phone, so hopefully that means he's not overly concerned. Thank you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.