Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:22:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 262
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 262
Total: 263

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Aging, HIV and, of all things, retirement?!?  (Read 11199 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Aging, HIV and, of all things, retirement?!?
« on: October 22, 2020, 11:05:59 pm »
Hello all,
It's been a while since I've posted. Time seems to get away from me.
I am facing a situation that, while not dire, is somewhat unsettling.
When I was diagnosed in 1985, the doctor told me I had three years to live and that I should get my affairs in order. I didn't do either.
But it did leave a lasting impression on me.
Like many of my LTS brothers and sisters, I always lived with the knowledge that death was just a cough or sniffle away. Even after starting meds in 1996, that thought still guided my life.
So, I lived to the fullest, but never really planned for retirement. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would live long enough to even consider retiring.
It seems I may have been wrong.
My employer announced they would be closing my branch office at the end of the year.
Another agency is considering hiring some of us, but, at 63 and on my third career, the idea of retiring is something I find very attractive.
But, it is also frightening, because I never really thought it could happen to me.
Anyone else facing this type of situation? I'm just wondering how you adjusted, and whether you approached it with the same trepidation I am feeling.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BKKKevin

Re: Aging, HIV and, of all things, retirement?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 11:01:58 am »
Sadly a major side effects of just about every HAART regime is growing old...

Offline allanq

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:03:50 pm »
Mark,
Right now it sounds like you have a kind of generalized fear of retiring. Perhaps it would help if you broke that down into the specific things that you’re afraid of. Is it the financial stress of living on a reduced income? Is it that you depended on work to provide structure to your daily life? Is it the social connections that work provided? If you are offered a job in a new agency, what are your main concerns about taking it?

Good luck.

Allan

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 03:17:20 pm »
Very relevant discussion topic for me too. Am semi-retired on SSI which is greatly reduced income. Up for a few gigs to supplement retirement income to meet living expenses.

Trying to keep self in mental and physical good shape now almost age 70 and past 35 years Positive.

It is stressful and challenging at times.

Keep going as best as I can.

Take Care All,

OT

👍🙏🏽♥️
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 10:52:47 pm »
I know, I was remiss about not posting a follow up.
Thanks for the responses. They were helpful and gave me food for thought.
I decided to postpone retirement until 2022. I think the thing that was really concerning me was that I was being forced, in a sense, into considering retirement when my former employer decided to close my office.
I did take a position with another agency, and it has been an interesting change. It is an agency that is run by and for Native Americans, primarily, although they take anybody with HIV.
That said, I am still planning on retiring in July 2022. I chose that date because that is the month I will turn 65. I will be enrolling in Medicare, and then begin taking advantage of the state programs I have helped others use for years, including letting the state pay my premiums for a Medicare C plan.
I know my income will decrease, but, I think I will be able to adjust.
More than that, it is a time of my choosing that I have been able to plan for.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:55:38 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 01:09:45 am »

That said, I am still planning on retiring in July 2022. I chose that date because that is the month I will turn 65. I will be enrolling in Medicare, and then begin taking advantage of the state programs I have helped others use for years, including letting the state pay my premiums for a Medicare C plan.
I know my income will decrease, but, I think I will be able to adjust.
More than that, it is a time of my choosing that I have been able to plan for.

HUGS,

Mark

Good to hear from you Mark.  your plans, sounds like a winner. One of the reasons I was able to retire in 2013, was because I was fortunate enough to have the VA healthcare to take care of me. Thanks to our beloved Moffie ( Tim) for that conversation, which gave me the motivation I needed.  Without that, It could have easily been a different story. I just turned 62, when I left the workforce in December of 2013, and while at times I kind of wouldn't have minded to work a few more years, I have no regrets leaving when I did.

You never know,... when July of 2022, comes around, and depending on the current situation, you may just decide to try to push it up another year. It would mean an increase in your social security. Not sure how much that would be though, you would have to see the chart on how each year is calculated.

What I can tell you is this, retiring and getting out of the workforce, was a feeling that was so great for me. Felt as good as when I got the first Covid shot. It was such a great feeling of relief.

I decided on age 62, when I was 55, and I still remember that last year working, and knowing how great it was.  My supervisor at the time, thought I was just kidding around, But by the time the last 30 days were coming around, she knew I was dead serious !  8)  I even trained the person in the last month that ended up replacing me.!

Take care---Ray  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.