HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

99% sure I have HIV, could use some help

(1/7) > >>

WannaHaveHope:
Hello everyone

I was exposed over a month ago, and since then I have been very sick. Long story short, the person took off the condom at the end and came in me without consent. Based on things I've learned about HIV and otherwise since then, it's 99% likely he has HIV, lied about it, and has had it for a long time.

Since exposure (started shortly after, within the 1st week and symptoms have arisen or gotten worse or more consistent since), I have overall elevated temperatures with low grade fevers (100F) for many hours of the day, sometimes 101ish for a bit or higher quick spikes (it normalizes later in the day though it is slightly elevated from what my normal temp used to be, at night its normal/lower but im very very cold), I have muscle aches and pains and twitches all over my body, especially my forearms, back thighs, in the beginning calves, and butt muscles, along with joint pains. I have lost over 10lbs in a week or 2 (muscle as well), which eventually stabilized but now I am losing weight again, and since losing weight my body shape has changed and my thighs and butt are thinner but my lower belly and chest are taking on more weight in those areas then before. My skin has on and off bumps and skin blemishes that are not normal for me, my mouth has sores/bumps on the inside that come and go in multiple spots that are not normal for me, my tongue has a burning feeling most of the time and has a light white coating/color most of the time as well (not sure if its thrush or very light grade of it?). Also have subtle neurological issues as well, and have not been able to sleep properly, keeping waking up on and off every night.

I got an HIV RNA PCR test and 4th gen antigen/antibody test 19 days after exposure, and also 4th gen tests 28, 30, 37 days after exposure. I also got a 4th gen test that seemed less modern (a CMIA) and some type of NAT (TMA Panther something?) viral load test at 33 days after exposure as well from an infectious disease doctor (who doesnt seem to have updated his information since the early 2010s from HIV and is stubborn and I dont trust his judgement at all). All these tests are negative so far but based on my continuing symptoms I cant trust them. I also had a CD4 count of 675 33 days after exposure, which while technically in the normal range, seems low for me (I havent had a cold or flu in over 10 years, I RARELY get sick, also always had strong reactions to the covid shots too). My CD8 and CD3 counts were on the higher end if that means anything in this, and from 30 to 33 days after exposure, i had my platelets measured and it dropped 20 points, which I know is a sign of acute infection potentially (my lymph % dropped a little bit too).

I think the person who exposed me has had HIV for a long time and has a drug resistant strain. I learned that mutated drug resistant strains dont replicate as fast as wild HIV strains do, so that would make sense why it hasnt been detected thus far. I also have a reactive immune system so that would make sense why i got sick/symptoms so quick and continuous

I hope I dont offend anyone saying I'm pretty sure I have HIV without confirmation, but based on all my symptoms that have been continuous (severity has gone up and down and up but overall consistent) and how it lines up with acute HIV infection symptoms and how and whom and when I was exposed too, I dont see how it doesn't turn up positive soon.

I will be getting one more 4th gen test right after the window period, and will be seeing a more competent infectious disease doctor in weeks time, but overall think it will be positive. Just looking for overall advice and opinion and input if anyone could spare it. If you have read this far, thank you for your time

WannaHaveHope:
Also important I have been extremely tired and worn out multiple times, 2nd-3rd week was consistently bad and last weekend was extremely bad as well. Overall very tired worn out and weak, work has not been busy or anything that would wear me out otherwise. And my overall bloodwork hasn't shown anything out of the ordinary other then what I've mentioned

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

Read your post three times.

Sorry to hear that the person took the condom off during intercourse and that you have been feeling unwell. 

About your issues, nothing you mentioned is HIV specific, and some of it has nothing to do with HIV from this recent event, regadless of your HIV status. Please continue to work with your healthcare provider instead of focusing on HIV, and I hope you feel better soon.

Regarding your HIV status, we recommend you test at six weeks post-exposure with a blood-drawn lab HIV antibodies test, and a non-reactive result at that time would rarely ever change. Generally, retesting isn't needed, but you can at three months if you wish.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms, and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will removed.

WannaHaveHope:
Hey Jim, thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my comment. I've been reading POZ forums for information and advice the last month +, and I see you a lot (moderator, duh). Regardless of my HIV status, thank you and everyone here for the information and advice for everyone who comes here for advice and help.

I unfortunately don't have links at the moment, but from what I've read a lot of these symptoms (including some odd ones) did seem to overall match up with acute infection and with timing I thought. Just seems like too much of a coincidence of timing, but yes I will test myself one more time at the 6 week mark and see from there. Unsure who to go to at this point if it's not HIV, but I will figure it out. Thanks for the well wishes Jim, same to you

Jim Allen:
You're welcome.

--- Quote ---but from what I've read
--- End quote ---

Coincidence happens, I had a piss this morning, flushed the toilet and then it started to rain. This does not mean my having a piss caused it to rain.

The same goes for your issues, and I have given you some insights; no offence, it is obvious you have been reading/collecting bits of information however it means nothing without correct context or more profound understanding that you simply can't gain within the short time span of weeks or months by reading stuff on-line.

My advice is to stop reading up stuff and instead work with your healthcare provider and test at the six-week mark. 

Jim.

p.s

--- Quote ---Unsure who to go to at this point if it's not HIV, but I will figure it out.
--- End quote ---

You start with seeing your general practitioner. Explain to them what you are experiencing and keep your theories to yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version