Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: MUNI Passports  (Read 7862 times)

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
MUNI Passports
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:51:50 pm »
Hey AMG Attendees,

This sound like a real deal and a way to get about the city for a very reasonable fee.

Passport prices are effective September 1, 2005.

Muni Passports are good for unlimited rides on Muni, including cable cars. 3-day and 7-day Passports are good for three or seven consecutive days.

1-day Passport $11 (where to buy)
3-day Passport $18 (where to buy)
7-day Passport $24 (where to buy)

Passports are also sold every day from 8 a.m. to midnight at the information booths in the baggage claim areas at the San Francisco International Airport. Muni Maps are also sold at the information booths for $3.00.
Passports may be purchased online and may also be purchased in advance. For more information on Muni Passports, call Muni's Revenue Department at 415-923-6050.

An alternative to a Passport is the CityPass.

Note: Using any Muni Passport on Special Services requires an additional payment of $3. Muni Passports are good on Muni only, not BART.

Remember that San Francisco is a city of seven hills.  By this I mean that ten blocks is not as the "crow flies" but as your "dogs" have to walk the hills.  Seems like a good investment to me.

See you in September, Ric 

Offline AMG Coordinator

Re: MUNI Passports
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:04:24 am »
I am currently in communication with SFMTA and the CityPass office regarding these items.  Not promising anything as of yet but may have something to offer the group in the near future.

Offline Ric Wilke

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:09:45 am »
Hey AMG Coordinator,

Thanks for your efforts.  I always knew it was a good idea to have a Travel Agent on our team.  You rock!

Hugs man, Ric

Offline allanq

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 01:51:54 pm »
These passports are an especially good deal if you plan on taking a cable car ride, since the one-way cablecar fare is $5. (The cablecar turnaround is a 5-second walk from the front door of the hotel.)

Regular fare on buses, underground Muni Metro, and above-ground F-Line trolley is $1.50, including a transfer good for 90 minutes. You can use the transfer on the return trip as long as it falls within the time limit. The F-Line trolley runs colorful vintage trolleys from all over the world from Pier 39 to Castro Street. It stops on Market & Powell, near the  hotel. There's one unusual open-air trolley that I occasionally see.

The location of the hotel at Market and Powell Streets makes it extremely convenient to use public transportation to get to all areas of the city. The buses presumably have a schedule, but as anyone who regularly uses them knows, the schedule is strictly theoretical. Wait times are often totally unpredictable.

You should probably count on riding Muni four times a day (not including cable car rides), so you can do the math to see if the pass is worth it. One advantage of the pass is that you won't have to come up with exact change when you ride the buses, Muni Metro, or F-Line trolley. (Bring lots of quarters if you don't get a Muni pass.)

Allan

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 07:12:15 pm by allanq »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 10:49:06 pm »
I've been looking online at transport costs, and I think this would be beneficial to me.  But to be clear, here's my interpretation:

A MUNI pass, purchased at baggage claim at SFO, will get me around the city, but I still need to count on paying $6 to get from SFO to the hotel on the BART train.

Am I informed?

Offline allanq

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 11:35:22 pm »
BART is a regional transportation system separate from Muni, so the Muni pass doesn't cover BART. The BART fare from SFO to Powell Street is $5.15. It's best to buy a ticket for $10.30. That way you can use the ticket for the trip back to the airport. The machines accept coins and $1, $5 and $10 bills.

If you don't have a Muni pass, you'll have to stock up on quarters. The surface buses and trolleys accept dollar bills, but the machines for the underground Metro take only coins. The change machines in the stations are often out of commission. Above ground, you can use a dollar bill + 2 quarters. (The underground Metro is included in the Muni pass.)

Allan
(who hopes he didn't make this too confusing)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:45:20 pm by allanq »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 11:52:29 pm »
(who hopes he didn't make this too confusing)

Allan, of course it's confusing to those of us who are used to climbing in our trucks and driving 1100 miles, but you are a great guy to spell it out!  I had to talk to three different people to travel from JFK to Penn Station, but we made it. I'm arriving early enough that I should be at the hotel by early evening ( touchdown at 9.50am )  ;D

I once walked 4 miles through not-so-pretty Chicago when the trains shut down one day, and I'd walk a lot further to see you in SF.

iViva La AMG!

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 04:58:10 am »
Believe you me, the MUNI pass is worth its weight in gold for the convenience of NOT having to fumble around for change for bus, MUNI Metro subway, and streetcar fare.

Figure on taking the cable car (probably round trip) once....and that's 10 bucks right there.

Just flash your pass at the bus/streetcar/cable car operators or at the MUNI Metro subway turnstiles, and you stroll right on.

BART ticket machines at most stations accept credit and debit cards also, in addition to cash for your tickets.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 03:01:16 pm by JohnOso »

Offline Nadine

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 07:00:21 am »
Very good info...Thanks guys!

Offline mjmel

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 05:02:24 pm »
Yes, great suggestion. I shall buy a 3 day pass on my way to baggage claim at SFO.
Just 4.5 months to go folks!
I'd like to say that I wish two people on our forum were attending: philly267 and MtD. Both characters intrigue me.
 :)
Mike

Offline Ric Wilke

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 12:49:05 am »
Hey AMG Coordinator,

Thanks again for all your efforts with regards to AMG 07 and every thing you have done for us in the past.

Could you please update us on the MUNI Passport deal you have worked out with the local transit authority?  I think I remember reading somewhere that you had secured 3-day Passports for those of us attending.  Are these for a specific time frame?  Will those of us coming in earlier or staying later than 9/14-16 need to make our own arrangements for these other days?  We arrive on 9/12 and leave on 9/18.  What should we do for 9/12, 9/13 and 9/15?  (We have already purchased round-trip BART tickets from SFO to The Powell Hotel.)

Any advise would be very welcome.

See everyone soon, R&T

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 02:11:08 am »
I have secured the 3 day Muni Passports you referenced above.  They are good for 3 consecutive days, all day.  I have plenty for everyone with possibly a few left over as extras for those who are staying longer than 3 days.  One each will be supplied in the gift bags.  Please see me if you need an additional one.

Thanks
Dennis

Hey AMG Coordinator,

Thanks again for all your efforts with regards to AMG 07 and every thing you have done for us in the past.

Could you please update us on the MUNI Passport deal you have worked out with the local transit authority?  I think I remember reading somewhere that you had secured 3-day Passports for those of us attending.  Are these for a specific time frame?  Will those of us coming in earlier or staying later than 9/14-16 need to make our own arrangements for these other days?  We arrive on 9/12 and leave on 9/18.  What should we do for 9/12, 9/13 and 9/15?  (We have already purchased round-trip BART tickets from SFO to The Powell Hotel.)

Any advise would be very welcome.

See everyone soon, R&T

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.