Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:15:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 198
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: OK- Last straw  (Read 6731 times)

Offline vagobbler

OK- Last straw
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:04:49 pm »
Ann,

I have been reading your responses to all of the people on here and your knowledge is hopeful.  I had an encounter with a woman who claims that she is HIV- but 3 weeks after I have swollen lymph nodes in neck, armpits and groin.  After our sex she had a test for STDs which came back negative but she did not have an HIV test.

What is the likelyhood or risk percentage from this single unprotected vaginal intercourse?  It lasted about 2 minutes before I came to my senses. 

Here is what About.com had in their health section.  Seems to me that no one would have HIV if these numbers are correct.  It mentions that the site is monitored by physicians.  What is your take?

" Vaginal intercourse - infected women to uninfected men
Studies seem to confirm that the risk is quite low, about 1 in 200,000 but of course the risk is not zero."

Thanks again for your help

Offline RapidRod

Re: Thanks Ann
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:49:43 pm »
HIV is not a guessing game. As you have been told in other forums you will need to test. A conclusive test result is 3 months post exposure.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:52:25 pm »
First of all, you need to stop having unprotected intercourse. As long as you always use a condom the status of your partner is irrelevant. Latex condoms provide very effective protection against HIV transmission, but only when you use one every time.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly more difficult to transmit from female to male. However, low risk is not the same as no risk. So you do need to get tested in relation to this incident. Do that at 13 weeks after the most recent unprotected incident. Given this was a single incident, the odds are significantly in your favor that you will test negative.

Learn from this experience and don't put yourself at risk again. Use condoms. Everytime for intercourse, whether vaginal or anal.

Good luck with your test.
Andy Velez

Offline vagobbler

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 08:30:48 am »
Thanks Andy and RapidRod,

With regards to my swollen nodes, how big will they be to qualify as swollen?  (Marble, ping pong etc)

Also, there seems to be only swelling and a burning sensation in my right armpit and right groin.  I have swelling underneath my ears behind my jaws with a stiff neck too.  Is this common with HIV? 

I am awaiting time to test but really freaking out.  Your input is very helpful.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:51:29 am »
Swollen lymph nodes are absolutely NOT an HIV-specific occurrence. They happen for all sorts of reasons. However, lymph nodes are very sensitive to being touch, pressed, squeezed and otherwise bothered. So you need to keep your hands off of them lest you create a bigger problem.

Discuss them with your doctor as well as your other symptoms. Again, I expect you will test negative based on what you have told us.

The waiting time to get tested will pass much more quickly if you get otherwise productively busy in your life. Also you can if you wish test at 6 weeks as all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so at that point. If you get the negative I expect you still need to confirm it with another test at 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline vagobbler

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 01:44:37 pm »
Thanks Andy.

I am not even sure my lymph nodes are swollen as I can not feel them.  I have been careful not to poke or press on them.   I am just experiencing generalized swelling and pain from some of them, specifically right armpit and directly below my ears.  I am also having numbness near my right groin node but again I can not feel the node specifically. 

This site is a really great source of knowledge and sometimes comfort for those in need of your expertise.  Please keep up the great service.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 03:02:27 pm »
Well lymph nodes or not, just discuss whatever is bothering you with your doctor.
Andy Velez

Offline vagobbler

OK- Last straw
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:32:12 am »
All,

I have read the archives for an answer to a question like mine and did not find one so here goes.  On Feb 20, 2008 I had unprotected vaginal intercourse for about 2 minutes.  The woman claims to be HIV- to this day but I have had symptoms that fall within the typical infection window for HIV. 

I have seen where you don't recommend testing on every event due to the 1 and 2 million percent chance of infection from a women.  Oh, I am a 38 yo male.

1. My question is would your answer be different if the following symptoms are present?

Day 4:  Fever blister on lip (lasted 2 weeks)
Day 7:  Undetermined dime sized lesion on jaw (went away with cortisone creme)
Day 13-23: Swollen glands in right armpit, right groin and under both ears
Day 20 and 24:  Night sweats (4 days apart- no daytime fever yet)
Day 28:  And this morning I have a Sore throat

2. Do these seem consistent with HIV infection?
3. Would all the symptoms come on at once vs. being staggered?
4. Should I get tested? 

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: OK- Last straw
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:44:23 am »
V,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

We don't discuss symptoms here as they will not tell you anything about your hiv status. Take your symptoms to your doctor. You cannot be diagnosed over the internet.

You need to test - not because of your symptoms - but because you had UNPROTECTED intercourse. We ALWAYS tell people they need to test after something that is actually a risk. You had a risk; you need to test.

A test three months past this incident will give you a conclusive result. In the meantime, don't bother telling US how you feel, tell your doctor.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline vagobbler

Lymph Nodes and ARS
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 06:28:29 pm »
I have a question regarding lymph nodes in ARS for the experts on here.

1.  How long do they typically stay swollen in primary HIV infection?
2.  How large do they get in primary infection?
3.  Do they hurt, burn or are they painless swelling for the most part. 

Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Lymph Nodes and ARS
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 06:45:35 pm »
Please keep all your additional thoughts, questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us to follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you can't find you original thread click on the red link I've provided above. Alternatively you can click on the "show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page.

Your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

Offline vagobbler

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 06:49:46 pm »
I have a question regarding lymph nodes in ARS for the experts on here.

1.  How long do they typically stay swollen in primary HIV infection?
2.  How large do they get in primary infection?
3.  Do they hurt, burn or are they painless swelling for the most part.

Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 06:51:29 pm »
Vag,

Thank you for returning to your original thread.

Obsessing about your glands will not help you determine your HIV status, nor will it give you peace of mind during the window period. Only have an HIV antibody test will resolve this issue for you.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 07:26:14 pm »
I've merged your threads here. Keep all of your entries in this same thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Worrying and fussing and trying to quantify issues regarding lymph nodes will not give you the answer you want. Only an HIV test done at the proper time can give you that. Meantime leave your lymph nodes alone and just discuss them with your doctor. You've already been told all of this before. Are you listening? Or is your anxiety going to continue to run the show? That will not give you any peace.  See your doctor, test at the appropriate time and in the meantime stay productively busy. It will really help to pass the waiting time faster than you may imagine is possible.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:30:06 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline vagobbler

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 08:50:32 pm »
I have taken my test.  Awaiting the results.  Can someone please answer the questions posed above?  Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 09:12:44 pm »
As I think you've already been told, symptoms including swollen lymph nodes will never tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. And now you're stuck on trying to quantify details of swollen nodes which of course cannot be done in anyway that reliably dovetails with HIV status. So give it up. You got tested. You'll have your result shortly, which I expect will be negative. Stay productively busy in the interim. Lay off of the web. All will be well.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.