Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:22:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 459
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How Goes the Conference?  (Read 4849 times)

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
How Goes the Conference?
« on: September 15, 2007, 04:09:58 pm »
Just wanted to start this thread for anyone who might want and have a moment to share their thoughts and words about any sessions, meetings, introductions and fun that you are having in San Francisco both at the conference and away.

Not all of us could attend of course but would be grateful to share the experience.  :)

Marc (Who's there in spirit!)
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline allanq

Re: How Goes the Conference?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 09:27:54 pm »
I've been having a terrific time at AMG 2007. It started pretty early for me, since I picked up Jan at the airport last Monday. It was great having her all to myself for a full day.

Friday morning we had our first official event--a ceremony at the AIDS Memorial Grove in Golden Gate Park. Jan did a beautiful job of planning this event. It was quite an emotional occasion. It began with a brief prayer written by AlanBama. Then a beautiful wreath of white chrysanthemums and roses was laid in the center of the "Circle of Friends." Each of us had been given a Gerbera daisy, and one by one we set it down around the wreath. Some of us dedicated it to a particular friend who had died of AIDS. It was a simple and moving ceremony that I will always remember.

Friday evening, we had our Meet & Greet in "The Crimson Lounge," about a mile from the hotel. We had the room all to ourselves for the evening, along with two great bartenders (who poured very generously). It was a wonderful event. I got to meet so many fine people. I won't name names, because I know I'll forget some. We celebrated David & David's and Ric & Thom's first wedding anniversary with a suprise cake. I think they were quite touched by it all.

This morning many people joined a little walking tour that I led from the hotel, up to  Union Square, a bit of Chinatown, the Transamerica Pyramid, the Ferry Building, and then a walk along the waterfront to Pier 39. A group of about ten took the 2:50 pm ferry to Alcatraz. I admire their stamina. I couldn't have done it.

This evening will be the first social hour at the hotel. I'm back in my home in Oakland, too tired to participate. However, I'll be joining the group tomorrow at noon for a ferry ride to Sausalito.

I hope everyone here has been enjoying San Francisco. It's a beautiful city, and I've tried to get people out and about to see some of sights.

Even though I'm physically tired right now, mentally I feel totally energized by this event. Meeting people in person is different from knowing them online. You get to see real personalities beyond an online persona. Without exception, everyone I've met has been kind and friendly.

Some people traveled great distances to attend this event. We had a fine representation from the U.K., as well as representatives from Australia and New Zealand. I'm so pleased that they attended this gathering.

The gathering is not yet over. Some people are staying on through Tuesday. I know that I'll be very sad when this event ends.

I do want to mention how fortunate we have been to have Dennis as our AMG Coordinator. He has attended to every detail to make this gathering run smoothly. He deserves an enormous amount of credit.

I'm sure many others will chime in, but I wanted to be among the first to give my impressions of AMG 2007.

AllanQ
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:28:56 am by allanq »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 12:09:22 am »
I can't come up with any way to describe this event that will do it justice, kiddos.  Expressions like "tremendous" and "transformative" come to mind, but on the screen here they look a bit cliched or flowery.  The love energy here is amazing.  Really.  I wish I had a way to post the sensation accurately, but it just can't be done virtually.  The best I can offer is this...

There's some:   :o

Even more:   :P

Some  :)   and some  ;)  and a seemingly endless supply of  :D and  ;D.

And especially  :-* :-* :-*

Nary a bit of   >:( that I know of.

I'd say more, but I am simply tuckered out.  And my feet ouch.  A lot.  I guess that might qualify as an  :( , but it was achieved by way of  8).

So there ya have it- as best I can. 

Reporting live from San Francisco,

Thunter34
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:14:24 am »
Good Morning Everyone:   ;D

I'm having a wonderful time.  The weather has been fantastic and San Francisco is beautiful.

But nothing compares to the members with whom I am sharing this weekend.

They are truly the reason for AMG. I feel so much emotion and positive energy flowing around this group, I can't begin to explain it. 

As the AMG 07 Ambassador, Alan has simply outdone himself.  I can fully understand why he was physically exhausted last night.

And as far as Dennis goes?  All I can say is WOW!  His professionalism, attention to detail, and never ending focus on making sure the gathering flows smoothly, has literally taken the title of Coordinator to a new level. 

It's 8:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, I've only had a couple sips of coffee, so my brain isn't functioning all that well right now.  There will be more thoughts and reflections later. 

Just know that as far as RAB is concerned, AMG 07 is FanFu*****Tastic!   :D

RAB

(We leave at 10:30 to catch the ferry to Sausalito.  That should be fun!)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:51:27 am »
Everytime I attempt using words to describe the dynamics of the experiences of meeting the forum members..........words fall so short of relaying the emotion/experience. I will go with this one: fulfilled.
xxx,
Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.