Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:51:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 259
Total: 262

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wine  (Read 3524 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
Wine
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:22:27 pm »
I love me some wine...and I drink a lot.  I am not on meds yet and my liver function is ok (except on the days when I drink the night before my test - I have learned not to do that).

I tend to unwind with some wine...it is my only vice at this point (although sometimes I indulge in a bit of coke...but not very often - only once in a blue because I worry about overdoing it and shit is expensive).

Did most of you guys stop drinking when you started meds?  I guess it is silly to worry about it but I would hate to give up my vino.

thoughts?

Offline libvet

Re: Wine
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:33:09 pm »
I love me some wine...and I drink a lot.  I am not on meds yet and my liver function is ok (except on the days when I drink the night before my test - I have learned not to do that).

I tend to unwind with some wine...it is my only vice at this point (although sometimes I indulge in a bit of coke...but not very often - only once in a blue because I worry about overdoing it and shit is expensive).

Did most of you guys stop drinking when you started meds?  I guess it is silly to worry about it but I would hate to give up my vino.

thoughts?

I haven't given up wine and I've been on meds running the gamut from antivirals to anabolic steroids to human growth hormone to interleukin-2 and even have enjoyed an occasional margarita or glass of brandy.

My liver seems to be holding up just fine.  I might take a different approach if I were co-infected with HCV, but I don't think moderate alcohol usage is going to make the difference.  If you are a heavy drinker, that might be another subject entirely.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:37:13 pm »
dingo drinks like a fish and has fabu labs.

My secret theory is that you must get the little fuckers drunk as shit and they don't know what to do.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:41:22 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 11:13:04 pm »
Since starting meds, I get sick and throw up if I drink more than a couple of drinks.
I just have to watch what and how much I drink these days. Man, I used to love getting smashed.
But, we are all different and seem to respond differently. I wouldn't sweat it, just wait and see what happens.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 11:56:09 pm »
Matty the Damned has also seen his alcohol intake slump since restarting HAART. He doesn't know if it's an Australian thing or because of ritonavir.

Wait. It has to be the ritonavir.

Prior to restarting my meds I was what can only be described as a prodigious drinker. Ask Little Steve or Miss Melia. :P Seriously, I could drink any of you bitches under the table and walk home. But now more than a few cleansing ales and I'm a puking wuss.

Le sigh.

MtD

Offline Jean-Yves

• Meow!
    • Home for Sign of the Tiger
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 12:13:42 am »
I have been known to chase my meds down with bourbon and soda. I was drinking about a half gallon a week. Still got down to <50 and cd 4s up to 700 with no liver problems. I have since cut back to only drinking about 3 drinks a night for other reasons. Just don't look at my cholesterol and triglycerides. I still love to eat.
Jean-Yves

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 12:21:05 am »
Useless factoid of the week:

source

Research from today's Lancet magazine suggests a better way to categorise drugs based on the harm they do to the user and to society more widely.

The final list put heroin at the top, alcohol was in fourth place, ketamine in fifth, and tobacco in sixth. Cocaine was at number two followed by barbiturates. Cannabis kept its mid-rank position at number 11. Bringing up the rear were khat or qat in 20th place and alkyl nitrites (poppers) in 19th.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 12:22:00 am »
-giggles-

MtD

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 03:48:27 am »
Useless factoid of the week:

source

19th still gets you KS.

Brent
(Who prefers reds to whites in many things)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 09:59:59 am »
Oh yeah... definitely red.  Though I do adore good champagne.  Veuve, Taitts, Bolly here we come.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.