Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:44:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 361
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who drinks Tea?  (Read 59652 times)

Offline Mike89406

Who drinks Tea?
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:26:59 am »
Just a simple question and I'm not talking about (for example)... Green Tea Supplements I'm merely asking who likes a cuppa of tea or perhaps afternoon tea etc..

My favorites include Earl Grey straight, Darjeeling one of my Du joir teas, Irish Breakfast Tea or English Breakfast has a nice kick, and Green Tea or Oolong Tea brewed they are pretty good as well.

So what are your favorites? One thing I really like is not only does tea create a perfect balance in my day it also has many health benefits as well.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Who drinks Tea?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 01:13:31 am »
Hi mike

I'm mainly a coffeee drinker but I do have one cup of tea at supper time.

Alpine Tea..ingredients are..senna leaf, fennel seed, ginger root, marchmallow lead and a few others ican't remember..and it's 100% pure herbs, it can be taken as is or you can add honey or lemon to it...I take it as is and it has a really nice flavor.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:56:03 am »
I'm not a huge tea drinker.  Lucas Clay would be the person to talk to about this.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:49:24 am »
We clean out the store shelves for Red Zinger by Celestial Seasonings ......they cant stock enough to keep Kurt happy.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:30:28 am »
i like rooibos, indian chai and morrocan mint.sometimes chamomo;le +spiced apple

silver needle & song yang white tea is ok too,if it's made properly

(fruit teas are just coloured water)

kate

Offline tash08

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:46:51 pm »
I like peppermint tea with honey and some sugar.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:51:32 pm by tash08 »
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 01:18:05 pm »
I love a good cup of tea in the morning -- usually after I get to work, or on weekend it is usually after I've had breakfast.  Just plain old black tea, with milk and a bit of sugar.

Of course, on hot days here in Texas, I can quaff gallons of iced tea.  Being from West Texas, that means *non-sweet* tea, as opposed to those East Texans and Southerners who seem to enjoy sweet (*extremely* sweet) iced tea.

Cheers,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 01:25:15 pm »
I like the peppermint tea with sugar.  I like any kind of tea really as long as it doesn't have milk in it.

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline SensuousWolf

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 01:35:01 pm »
I love any kind of flavored tea with sugar substitute, but mostly drink coffee (black please).
I can't stand the taste of regular Lipton tea.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 01:39:26 pm »
I love that special brew of Japanese rice (green) tea called genmaicha. Give it a try if you can find it.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 05:22:11 pm »
Hi mike

I'm mainly a coffee drinker but I do have one cup of tea at supper time.

Alpine Tea..ingredients are..senna leaf, fennel seed, ginger root, marchmallow lead and a few others ican't remember..and it's 100% pure herbs, it can be taken as is or you can add honey or lemon to it...I take it as is and it has a really nice flavor.

Hugs

I do like coffee but i have toned down on it as my tolerance went way thru the roof however I think I like coffee for the taste it seeems when i come down off of coffee my energy goes right to the bottom. But yeah I do enjoy coffee just as much.

I find that tea gives me a sorta well being healthy feeling

Regards Mike

i like rooibos, indian chai and morrocan mint.sometimes chamomo;le +spiced apple

silver needle & song yang white tea is ok too,if it's made properly

(fruit teas are just coloured water)

kate

I have heard rooibos and Morrocan tea is pretty good

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 05:46:20 pm by Mike89406 »

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 05:27:28 pm »
I love a good cup of tea in the morning -- usually after I get to work, or on weekend it is usually after I've had breakfast.  Just plain old black tea, with milk and a bit of sugar.

Of course, on hot days here in Texas, I can quaff gallons of iced tea.  Being from West Texas, that means *non-sweet* tea, as opposed to those East Texans and Southerners who seem to enjoy sweet (*extremely* sweet) iced tea.

Cheers,

Henry

Milk and sugar  :o sacrilege J/K.  BTW has anyone tried tea with cucumber sandwiches or some other sort of snacks?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:27 am »
BTW has anyone tried tea with cucumber sandwiches or some other sort of snacks?

OK now you're getting a little too healthy for me.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 02:31:51 pm »
OK now you're getting a little too healthy for me.

LOL, Actually it's common in England to do that not so much here in the US

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 02:33:46 pm »
Right now I have Red Zinger in my cupboard as well as Pomegranate!  Yummy!

But Diet Coke is my tea of choice to get me going in the morning!  :D
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 02:47:49 pm »
Cucumber sandwiches are EVER so British.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 04:05:04 pm »

I must admit I never tried them I prefer cookies or the like.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 05:06:03 pm »

Oh yes, very British, should be made up thinly sliced, cut into triangles, presented on your best china plate and served up only when the Vicar calls in for a afternoon cuppa. it's a well know fact in the upper class circles that Vicars only eat cucumber sandwiches... ;)

Hugs

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 05:11:36 pm »
Matty the Damned drinks tea. Not the abominable green sort, but real tea. Ceylon unblended.

Excellent stuff.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 05:16:24 pm »
Oh yes, very British, should be made up thinly sliced, cut into triangles, presented on your best china plate and served up only when the Vicar calls in for a afternoon cuppa. it's a well know fact in the upper class circles that Vicars only eat cucumber sandwiches... ;)

Hugs

But what if I get invited to a Tarts and Vicars Party?  Or does that only happen in a Bridget Jones novel?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 05:31:57 pm »
But what if I get invited to a Tarts and Vicars Party?  Or does that only happen in a Bridget Jones novel?

It only happens in Bridget Jones Movies...theme parties have moved on a bit  since then (where have you been Philly)..but if you ever find yourself hosting one I suggest you serve those cucumber sandwiches...watching Vicars going through cucumber withdrawals is not a pretty sight.. ;)

BTW..If this ever happens at a Tarts and Vicars party you are attending..there is a good home treatment you can use...just whip off the dog collar and stick a whiskey in his hand, he will stop screaming as soon as the whiskey has been swallowed....trust me it works every time.

Hugs

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 06:25:45 pm »

It only happens in Bridget Jones Movies...theme parties have moved on a bit  since then (where have you been Philly)..but if you ever find yourself hosting one I suggest you serve those cucumber sandwiches...watching Vicars going through cucumber withdrawals is not a pretty sight.. ;)

BTW..If this ever happens at a Tarts and Vicars party you are attending..there is a good home treatment you can use...just whip off the dog collar and stick a whiskey in his hand, he will stop screaming as soon as the whiskey has been swallowed....trust me it works every time.

Hugs

Sounds like a riot. Is it preferable to have her Royal Majesty be in attendance for these special events? Perhaps her Royal Majesty could address her subjects, and if the King himself is accompaning her royal majesty he might fancy a glass of the finest scotch availible vice the poor mans tonic better known as whiskey.

Matty the Damned drinks tea. Not the abominable green sort, but real tea. Ceylon unblended.

Excellent stuff.

MtD

Ceylon is that Indian in Origin?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 06:32:27 pm »
Ceylon (the country) is now called Sri Lanka.

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 06:34:48 pm »
Ceylon (the country) is now called Sri Lanka.

Thanks for that I wasn't quite sure

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 07:13:40 pm »
 . . . and they grow the best tea. Nice, clean refreshing stuff with very little tannin. Not that ghastly muck from China that tastes like paint stripper or vile rot from India which is not dissimilar to three day old dishwater strained through a football player's sock.

MtD

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 09:20:55 pm »
If I where to have a cup of tea I would choose Earl Grey with cream and sugar, sometimes without the cream.

I'm a North Texan so I usually polish off a gallon or near a gallon of sweet iced tea a day. About a cup of sugar per gallon of tea.

That is 3.8 liters or 8 pints a day.

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 08:43:52 am »
I'm not a huge tea drinker.  Lucas Clay would be the person to talk to about this.

Hey I'm new to this tea thing, and who got my a$$ hooked on it miss Betty? ???
She gave me a Pomegranate Raspberry green tea that is addictive as hell. to make matters worse i cant find it here, i had to go back to Indy~anner to get some more. :D
She did give me a Chamomile tea that helps with the side effects of the meds i have in the morning, and helps me sleep ( i don't sleep good anymore)

Lucas

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 02:07:11 pm »
Once in a while i drink lemon or ginger tea.  I prefer coffee though
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 02:10:50 pm »
I've always liked the smell of coffee. I've never liked the taste.
I wont even eat Tiramisu even though it looks delicious I cant stand the coffee taste.

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 02:15:56 pm »
I've always liked the smell of coffee. I've never liked the taste.
I wont even eat Tiramisu even though it looks delicious I cant stand the coffee taste.

Tiramisu
What is that ???

Lucas

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 02:25:02 pm »
Its an Italian cake. A lot of people go gaga over it.

Basically it is sponge cakes soaked in coffee and rum and layered with a custard made out of mascarpone, beaten egg white and sugar.
Then topped with cocoa powder. Served chilled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiramisu

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 08:03:30 pm »
Once in a while i drink lemon or ginger tea.  I prefer coffee though

Well to be more clear as I said earlier I do like coffee and prefer good roasts and the like If you seen my kitchen I have a Starbucks French press and a top of the line coffee maker and some would conclude that I am the above average coffee drinker. Truth be told though I have cut back on my coffee drinking to the weekends as I have found that drinking morning cup of coffee every morning no longer helps me anymore in fact it makes me more tired not too mention I have the aftertaste left in my mouth at the end of the day similar to drinking soda. However the recent touted antioxidant benefits of coffee keeps me coming for the morning cup on the weekends.     

Having said all of that and keeping with the topic at hand about drinking tea I find that I drink tea not for the caffeine content or waking up like a coffee effect but tea gives me a longer awakeness perhaps with the natural herbs or content of other things in the tea leaves not too mention I think tea drinking is good for those who are HIV+, now comparing tea to coffee is simply when I drink Coffee I drink it for the taste or occasional pick me-up but like I said Coffee doesn't give me a healthy or well being feeling per say.

As we all know Coffee is a universal thing even more so than tea is and Western Civilization such as ours "America" probably can't or don't appreciate Tea as much as those in say European or Asian countries.

I think Tea drinking is more of a personal thing it's more of an acquired taste. Just because you don't drink it is your choice understandably so, and just because your HIV+ doesn't mean you should or shouldn't drink Tea but I think it's better to drink Tea than take supplements as we can over do it with pills and vitamins and not necessarily get the benefits we hope for and sometimes do more damage than good.

I hope this all makes sense.

My 2 cents.... Mike

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 08:10:41 pm »
It's a cultural thing.

In Australia, NZ (and the UK) most of us start drinking tea from an early age. I remember as a kid coffee was nasty powdered stuff, but tea was always drawn fresh in a pot.

Nothing is as invigorating first thing as good strong tea.

I believe that in continental Europe things are different and coffee is the norm. Same with the States, I'm told.

MtD

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 08:56:06 pm »
I love my coffee during the week. and at work to keep me going.
Then at night its tea time. ( thanks alot Betty)
tonight its a white decaf tea with raspberry. tis good.

Winiroo
Please sent the cake a.s.a.p. :D
it does sound good, ill have to research this

Lucas

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 10:02:47 pm »
Its an Italian cake. A lot of people go gaga over it.

Basically it is sponge cakes soaked in coffee and rum and layered with a custard made out of mascarpone, beaten egg white and sugar.
Then topped with cocoa powder. Served chilled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiramisu

Tiramisu is good stuff. If you ever go to a Italian bakery in NYC they make he best Tiramisu

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 10:18:46 pm »
She gave me a Pomegranate Raspberry green tea that is addictive as hell.     

OMG, I had Pomegranate Raspberry last week at the office for the first time, thought I was going to wet myself I was so excited.

Lucas, I think the brand starts with an "S," they also make a great Ginger Peach Green and a few others.

I'll check at work tomorrow for the name and maybe we can figure out how to find you some.  Its not a common brand of tea, if I remember correctly.

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 11:45:05 pm »
OMG, I had Pomegranate Raspberry last week at the office for the first time, thought I was going to wet myself I was so excited.

Lucas, I think the brand starts with an "S," they also make a great Ginger Peach Green and a few others.

I'll check at work tomorrow for the name and maybe we can figure out how to find you some.  Its not a common brand of tea, if I remember correctly.

~ Cindy

It's 'Stash.'

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 03:39:13 am »

~ Cindy
Cindy
I was sooo excited i did wet myself  ;)
I think Betty's got stock in the company and is holding out on us to drive the price up.
we may have to google up the stockholders and see if she is c.e.o. of the company.
The white tea with raspberry is very good also.

Lucas

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 07:01:50 pm »
oddly enough I can not drink tea in the morning. It makes me nauseous.

I went to breakfast with some girlfriends before school 20 + years ago and drank a few cups and on the way to school puked in the poor girls back seat. I haven't been able to drink tea in the morning since.

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 03:24:23 am »
Winiroo
I cant drink tea on an empty stomach, its the tannic acid in tea that makes you sick.
they use it to dye leather.

lucas

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 03:48:10 am »
Seriously try Ceylon tea. Nante tannin.

MtD

Offline isitthatbad

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 05:54:45 am »
I drink green tea and normal teas

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2008, 10:06:25 am »
Seriously try Ceylon tea. Nante tannin.

MtD

Girl, can't you tell?  The Yankees like fruit flavored brews.  It hides the nastiness.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 10:23:59 am »
Girl, can't you tell?  The Yankees like fruit flavored brews.  It hides the nastiness.

But .. . but I thought they liked me for who I am?!?!?!?!?

MtD

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 11:00:14 am »
Ooof I hate fruit in my tea, and lemon in tea ruins it for me. I might as well have lemonaide.

I guess that makes me kinda a purist LOL

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 11:03:39 am »
and remember:

In Britain and some Commonwealth countries, the order in which the milk and the tea enter the cup is often considered an indicator of social class. Persons of working class background are supposedly more likely to add the milk first and pour the tea in afterwards, whereas persons of middle and upper class backgrounds are more likely to pour the tea in first and then add milk. This is said to be a continuing practice from a time when porcelain (the only ceramic which could withstand boiling water) was only within the purchasing range of the rich - the less wealthy had access only to poor quality earthenware, which would crack unless milk was added first in order to lower the temperature of the tea as it was poured in.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 01:57:29 pm »
I drink all kinds of Tea... from your basic southern sweet tea... to calendula, yarrow, burdock, stinging nettle, yerba mate' and lots of coffee... for a sweetner from sweet-n-low, refined sugar, splenda, and stevia... plus too many cokes... hot tea for a hot afternoon... cold ice tea year round.... I need to drink more plain water...

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2008, 11:05:19 pm »
I am a fan of tea, much more so than coffee. I think I drink coffee in the morning just because everyone else did when I was growing up.

I was given a very nice English Breakfast tea. It is Ceylon black tea, packed in Sri Lanka and very delish with just a bit of sugar or honey.

My ex gave me some wonderful Georgian tea that also was scrumptious. (Georgian as in Russian, not the southern state.)

I also like Earl Grey and Irish Breakfast. Tetley makes one called British Blend which is tolerable as an iced tea.

I am not crazy about tea bags, but in the U.S., they are almost all you can get much of the time. I would prefer my tea loose, just like my men!  ;)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Desertguy

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2008, 10:01:37 pm »
Good Kenyan Tea!!

Offline beaubrent

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2008, 02:04:34 pm »
Yogi Egyptian Licorice is my fav. I've got one of those bodum teapots with the unbreakable outside. It's an extravagence I can't really afford, but it gets used!

Tea seems to me a more subtle pleasure than coffee, appropriate for more advanced tastes.  ;D
When I found out I had HIV,

I woke up and started living.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.