Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:42:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 509
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 507
Total: 507

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Celebrating Life  (Read 4534 times)

Offline silvermercury88

Celebrating Life
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:24:54 am »
Hello,

I'm a 24-year-old gay male living in Texas, and I tested positive for HIV one year ago on Oct. 27th. Rather than dwell on the negative or on thoughts of the past, I thought instead it would be better to celebrate life on my one-year anniversary, and for each year that follows.

Is there anyone else out there that celebrates on the date of their diagnosis? Surround yourself with friends & family? What do you do on the day you were told you were HIV positive?

Thanks everyone.

Offline tednlou2

Re: Celebrating Life
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:35:13 am »
Welcome to the forums.  It is good that you're choosing to look at the positive (no pun intended) parts of your life, instead of the negative.

I don't celebrate the day.  I would prefer to not even think about it.  When I do, I have emotions of sadness.  But, I also feel good that I've made it this far without a complete meltdown.  It is coming up on 4 years, since I was dx'd.  I've been infected much longer than that.  It is kinda hard for me to believe it has been 4 years already.  When I got my dx in the hospital, the days following seemed like an eternity. 

So, I'll wish you a very Happy Anniversary.  How do you plan to celebrate life?  Perhaps I will give that a try this year.   

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:39 am »
Welcome,

Personally, I can't say I ever bought myself a cake to commemorate and celebrate the day I received my diagnosis.  Nor have a thrown a party with my family and friends, replete a petting zoo, or a bouncy castle, or go go boys.  Maybe I should.   ;)

For me, "celebrate" isn't the right word.  I certainly give thanks that I'm still alive and kicking after 23+ years with HIV.  But it doesn't come on the date of my diagnosis, because I just don't remember.  Maybe I should put it into my Google calendar.

I think you are spot on by not dwelling on the past.  But be sure to learn from it.

There are more than a few Texans here on these forums.  I live in Austin.  Be careful of a member here named WillyWump!  He's a handful.

Cheers,

Henry

P.S.  For the record, go go boys aren't my style.  WillyWump, on the other hand, he loves 'em!
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:38:41 am »
I can think of a whole new line of greeting cards:  Happy AIDSiversary!

I really shouldn't be posting when I have insomnia.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:40:34 am »
I really shouldn't be posting when I have insomnia.

Better than posting drunk.   8)

Joe

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:43:08 am »
Hey Silver,

I'm with Henry.  After 27 years poz, the glamour seems to wear off.  I can never forget I'm poz, I have too many reminders daily, so celebrating my infection would seem to be an oxymoron.

Joe

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:44:20 am »
No

As a matter of fact I don't think much about the date of my diagnosis.  In fact, until I read your post I had actually forgot that it has been 2 years since I was diagnosed.  I tested positive in October of 2010 (I have forgotten the exact date).  Happy anniversary to me!  I will buy myself a cupcake tomorrow.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 12:53:13 am »
My first anniversary was sort of strange. I mean, in a way it signalled my personal strength and the beginning of a new life, but it was also sad as it marked the end of an era: a life without HIV.

I like your attitude of celebrating that day and keeping an optimistic outlook.  8)
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 01:49:46 am »
I try to celebrate all my life changing events - except that life keeps changing so much it's hard to keep up :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 05:38:38 am »
I think its worthy to celebrate everything which is done to better oneself, such as stop smoking, drinking or doing drugs , which could be effects of a HIV diagnosis. 

To "celebrate" life because I have HIV and at the same time not dwell on the past doesnt add up to me. I dont need that painful reminder of our mortality every year, personally I rather process the event and move on. 
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:41:10 am »
Hello,

I'm a 24-year-old gay male living in Texas, and I tested positive for HIV one year ago on Oct. 27th. Rather than dwell on the negative or on thoughts of the past, I thought instead it would be better to celebrate life on my one-year anniversary, and for each year that follows.

Is there anyone else out there that celebrates on the date of their diagnosis? Surround yourself with friends & family? What do you do on the day you were told you were HIV positive?

Thanks everyone.

Just curious, do they all know when they are with you what they are celebrating with you?

Whatever works for you.

I dont remember these kinds of dates.  I don't remember the date of the one time I was in a car crash. I don't remember the date I sliced my leg open skiing. I don't remember the date I got an HIV diagnosis, and anyway, it was a couple different days, it was more like 3 weeks of tests and maybes and anxieties....   

I think thats just my character.  I don't go out of the way not to remember such dates, I just don't bother to remember. 

I remember the ordinary dates, birthdays, holiday dates, etc.  I remember a lot of great weddings Ive been to where we all celebrated life, but I dont remember the dates of any of them....
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 09:13:02 am »
...a petting zoo, or a bouncy castle, or go go boys...

I envisioned a combination of all three and now my mind's in the gutter. Thanks. ;D

My positive confirmation date is also the birthday of one of my grandparents, so there is no forgetting it until I'm old and drooling in my bib.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 09:21:57 am »
I tested poz so long ago that I didn't bother to remember the exact date . The people at the health dept I tested at probably remember it better than I do because I was one of the first to test poz there and they were freaking out a whole lot worse than I was .

It was only later that it hit me as odd that I was the one who had just tested poz but was the one telling the nurse it was going to be OK , she was in tears when she gave me the news .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline britchick

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 10:58:38 am »
Hi!

I probably sound stupid but instead of thinking about my date of diagnosis Im going to celebrate the day that  i came out of hospital....so it will be next March!!
Just a" be good to myself day!".....nothing fancy...just a day to reflect!

Britchickx

Offline Denise03

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 04:39:15 pm »
It's a great feeling to see another year.  I'm thankful and glad to see a brand new day of mercy.  I get another chance to help someone to deal with this as I help myself.  I don't celebrate my anniversary but I learned not to take anything for granted from that dreadful day back on July 19, 2007. I found out that I was positive and I decided to live my best days.  My doctor told me I should not have made it but here I am five years and three months later.  It's hard sometimes not having someone to talk to that is actually living it day by day.  Rejection is hard but I made up my mind that you will either love or hate me, accept or reject me but it doesn't matter because in spite of it all I know that I'm still a child of God so I'm truly loved.  I love myself enough to keep my head up and keep striving! May you have many more wonderful anniversaries to come.  Living "Victorious 4 Life"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.