Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:51:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 478
Total: 480

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

What do I miss "most"?

Working hard/getting "ahead"
5 (50%)
Beer
0 (0%)
Jack Daniels (or ?)
0 (0%)
not having to worry about not finding a bathroom
0 (0%)
I miss __________
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: August 22, 2006, 02:10:41 pm

Author Topic: How are things now as opposed to when you were diagnosed?  (Read 4954 times)

Offline clarke

How are things now as opposed to when you were diagnosed?
« on: August 12, 2006, 02:10:41 pm »
I miss my beer, Drambuie. 
Have diffculty with local Metro as bathrooms aren't always public (much less in D.C.)
not being able to work "full-time" and do what I'd like.

Offline blondbeauty

Re: How are things now as opposed to when you were diagnosed?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 02:21:18 pm »
I miss feeling immortal.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 03:24:07 pm »
bb, that would have disapeared in time anyway... ;)

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 04:31:57 pm »
SEX!
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 04:39:13 pm »
I miss my old face and body.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 08:04:45 pm »
I voted for working (did it since age 19 - now I'm on welfare/Medicaid)

Offline BB

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 08:28:00 pm »
I miss my uncomplicated life of drinking, sex and health. Blast hiv!

BB
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 09:59:45 pm »
I miss.....

My naive thought that if you tried to be perfect, do everything right, treat everyone well, "really bad things would not happen to you"

I don't know where I got that idea from!

I've always had a problem equating self esteem with "works" (i.e. the best boy in the world syndrome......how people view me......Am I doing enough for "others".......good Christian boy).

Even before the diagnosis, I had a problem rehashing the "mistakes" I have made in life and beating myself up for making them.  I was making slow progress in stopping that kind of self destructive behavior.

Then comes "the gift".

I made a mistake.  At this point in time, I can't forgive myself.

Sorry to put a bummer on this thread................

I'm still trying to adjust.  My first visit to the HIV clinic in Dallas just kinda bummed me out.  My diagnosis is real.

Corwyn
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 12:41:46 am »

Hang in there Corwyn.  Bad things happen to good people all the time.  I had some similar feelings upon my diagnosis.  I would suggest just setting this feeling aside for awhile.  When you return to it in a month or two it won't be as difficult to digest.

I miss going out on a friday with friends drinking and dancing and letting all my worries go for a few hours.  I can deal alot better with HIV these days, but it's not really a worry I can let go of...just one I manage.

But yes, most of all I miss sex. Not that I was having tons of sex all the time, but I haven't gone this long without sex since that dry patch when I was 21.  Oh sex...where r u??? I miss u so.

brian

Offline clarke

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 10:18:31 am »
Hey Cor,

I've seen really "good" things happen to people who I felt just didn't plain deserve it.  And I've seen really s____y stuff happen to those I "know" didn't "deserve" them.

It's just the way things are.  One works with the cards dealt them the best they can I guess.

My Grandmother used to tell me "Persevere, hon, persevere".

My Mom just say "don't let the b__t__ds get you down!".

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 11:14:40 am »
I miss my dreams that weren't ridden with underlying symbols of sarrow like they are now.

^ wow that sounds sappy^

but in all reality...I just miss being carefree.
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline clarke

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 12:46:40 pm »
I really miss just plain juiicy, sweaty, wet-spots-all-over-the-bed SEX  :-*  ::)

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 09:12:48 pm »
This is kind of a hard one. See, it's been so long since I was diagnosed (19 years) that I don't really remember what it was like to be HIV negative. But from what I can remember, there is a lot less fear on my part. There are better meds now as well. Back when I was first diagnosed, AZT was the only thing out there, and it was some pretty nasty shit. I mean, it was actually killing the people that it was supposed to save. The one thing that I think has not changed enough is the general ignorance and stigma of having this. I don't let it get me down though, and I'm not in the closet about either HIV or being gay. I figure that if people cannot handle it, that's their problem. I have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.