Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

Author Topic: U=U ? Case about possible transmission?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline ItaLatinNY

• Standard
U=U ? Case about possible transmission?
« on: July 30, 2019, 01:11:24 pm »
Hi there,

I've been undetectable since 2012 and in 2014 I started a monogamous relationship with a man, who I ended up marrying with. He was neg once we met and knew and was comfortable of me being poz; we practiced bareback sex. About 6 months later we had met... he found out he was poz.

Learning this was super hard on me since I was the one who presumably passed it along to him... but how if I was undetectable since 2012 (got diagnosed I was poz in mid 2012, and by October same year I had already reached undetectable status).

I am all about supporting U=U, but... what happened in my case? My spouse claims he was neg when we had met and had been tested a few months before we had met (had no contact with other since his last test before we had met).

Is there any scientific way to go about looking into if I was the one who indeed passed it to him? We could undergo to some study if needed, if you guys are or know a party that would be interested in this off-case. Thanks!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: U=U ? Case about possible transmission?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 01:48:25 pm »
Hiya,

Why the interest now, all these years later? 

Anyhow what happened in your case, is it unique? No, as in seeing a few such cases claimed, a few in studies as well over the years although despite the claims they finally were proven to have been transmissions from outside their current relationship (via genotyping) or the person was not UD at the time.  In short, as long as you were UD for 6 months+  and, was adherent to treatment, you simply were are not at risk for forward transmission. So why even overthink U=U or dismiss the established everyday routes?   

Anyhow if you wanted to check most ID doctors would gladly give up their left leg & right arm to prove & publish a case, even back in 2012 and, are happy to try. So if you were UD at the time, they could have compared and, looked into it. No major study or complexity needed. 

I am all about supporting U=U, but
Hypothetically though, if it was the 1 case in about 21 years, over millions of people and, trillions of sex acts, it would go towards the proof of U=U (TaSP) effectiveness and, not undermine it. I.e the exception to prove the rule.

Different topic altogether now, as you are new to the forum, can you please open an introduction thread in "living with HIV" Section. Thank you! Introducing yourself can be daunting but perhaps you can answer some basics in your first thread like: How you are getting on? What treatment are you taking, how is that going? What your labs are like etc etc

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:13:21 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: U=U ? Case about possible transmission?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 07:28:08 pm »
Is there any scientific way to go about looking into if I was the one who indeed passed it to him? We could undergo to some study if needed, if you guys are or know a party that would be interested in this off-case.
where has your spouse been getting their HIV healthcare? Are y'all going to the same doctor? I would start there with an explanation about your situation and ask to have a genetic fingerprinting done to see if you two have the same strain of HIV. If it's not the same, then you can be relieved that U=U really does work, and perhaps distressed about what it might say about the veracity or fidelity of your spouse.

My spouse claims he was neg when we had met and had been tested a few months before we had met (had no contact with other since his last test before we had met).
there is a silver lining to your story. My spouse claimed he was negative and had frequently tested in the years after his last long-term partner and before hooking up with me, who he knew to be positive. Sadly, after almost 10 yrs together, he became quite ill with cancer. We found out he also had AIDS and in 69 days he passed away. All those years we were together (late 90 - early 00s), we worried about my health too much and not enough about his. It seems he hadn't actually tested as frequently as he claimed and with other partners he didn't use condoms 100% of the time like we did (U=U wasn't known back then and I took no chances)

the silver lining is that, even though your partner has to live with HIV also now, y'all have found out in time and with proper treatment both of you can live a long life together.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.