Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:12:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 622
Total: 622

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C Infection  (Read 4015 times)

Offline tc400

Hep C Infection
« on: January 13, 2009, 06:57:58 pm »
Here is my story. Five weeks ago, I had unprotected anal sex with a guy who claimed to be Hep C negative. The sex caused a bit of bleeding on my side, but none that I could see from his. Since then, I have been extremely worried about Hep C. I have had my Hep C ab test performed last week, and it came back negative. I have decided however to take and HCV RNA to confirm. I was - once upon a time - extremely concerned with reinfection, which is a controversial topic on this forum, but which, I think, rarely occurs. We can't find a single person on this forum who was diagnosed with super infection or re infection. What about Hep C? Is there anybody on here who was diagnosed though any form of sexual activity? If yes, what is treatment like? (again, I am doing very well on HIV meds, and was very scared at the beginning, hearing horrible stories). Sorry to share my (probably meaningless) worry with you, but I am concerned.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Hep C Infection
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:17:07 pm »
You've posted in the wrong forum.

Offline next2u

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:43:29 am »
well, my hcv was most likely through sex. i don't use iv drugs or coke or any stuff like that. i smoke pot and unless sharing a spliff is a transmission route i can rule out drugs. i got a tattoo in late dec but i doubt that is how i got it also.

one of the guys i was fucking would fuck anything willing to give him speed. i know at least two of his partners were iv drug users (but did not make a connection nor did i know of an hcv risk for pozzies). outside of his whoring was my own special brand of hoeing. that said, im sure i got it through fucking cause i aint seen my blood or another person's blood in forever.

well, there was the hospital...

im interested to know your test results. take care homie. 
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline tc400

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:06:24 am »
hey thanks for your message! sorry to hear about your hcv diagnosis. It seems that the tattoo connection is more likely in your case... hcv is rarely transmitted through anal sex, but the virus can live for DAYS on the tattoo device... (I did soooo much research because I was scared a bit).
I got a new sets of results this morning, and I seem to be fine. Just to make sure, we will repeat the tests in three months...
thanks a lot, take care.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:38:52 am »
tc,

Actually, more and more hiv positive men are becoming infected with hcv through anal sex. Go to the links I provided for Next in that other thread and look at the RECENT information - and make sure you're reading about hcv in hiv positive people.

The majority of tattoo parlors these days know about the threat of hcv and all the tattooing components where hcv might lurk are now single-use and disposable. Unless a person is going to some fly-by-night outfit or having it done in someone's kitchen, there should be no worries about hcv infected when getting a tat.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tc400

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 02:36:33 pm »
Hello Ann,
Thanks a lot for your note. I was very concerned, and still am actually. I did an HCV ab two weeks ago, and HCV RNA a week ago, they all came back negative, but the doctor recommended to get tested again in three months, just to make sure... Hearing all the horrible stories about treatment was a bit scary, but my doctor assured me there were new treatments coming up, more tolerable, more efficient, and easier to take...
Anyway, we will see what's up in three months from now.
Thanks a lot to all of you guys! Next: take good care of yourself. Ann:thanks a lot for all of your informative posts.

Offline tc400

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:03:05 pm »
So I went for another test at my local STD clinic (My doctor recommended to get test two additional times, in February and March). Right now, I feel weak, tired, have headaches, and more importantly have itchy skin -- so i am really scared. However, I got tested at Howard Brown, which is the leading gay clinic of Chicago, and the doctor, the STD counselor, AND the nurses, claimed that the virus was very RARELY sexually transmissible. That's just very weird that these professionals are claiming that -- when I have read exactly the opposite on so many websites... I was relieved, but confused at the same time. How can they not know that the rates are much higher in the HIV-positive gay male population... i dont know...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.