Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:15:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 475
Total: 476

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV+ 13 year old boy denied admission to Hershey, Pa. school because of "risk"  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
http://abcnews.go.com/US/hiv-positive-student-discusses-denial-admission-hershey-school/story?id=15074075#.T2iqtXmCWuI

What a total crock of shit this is.  Here are some excerpts from the above link:

"The school said today that its residential setting and the risk of sexual activity made the teen too much of a "threat."

Connie McNamara, spokesperson for Milton Hershey, told ABCNews.com the school carefully evaluated the situation and the needs of its 1,850 students, which span from pre-kindergarten to 12th grade.

"We had to balance his rights and interests with our obligation to provide for the health and safety of other students," she said. "And this meets a direct threat."

She said the school was most worried the boy would have sex -- if not now, at some point in his future years at the school, where students in groups of 10 to 12 live together in on-campus housing.

"Our kids are no different than teenagers anywhere else," she said. "Despite encouraging abstinence, we can not be 100 percent certain our kids are not engaging in sexual activity."

Even making sure the boy and students were educated on how HIV is transmitted wasn't enough for the school to grant the teen admission.

"We looked at the law and our unique program and made the best decision we could," she said. "Our heart goes out to this young man."

I hope his family sues the school, especially because this is in direct violation of the ADA.  Thirty years into HIV and we still have Ryan Whites.

Joe

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
I think that Milton Hershey, being the humanitarian that he was, would be rolling over in grave.  It's like Ryan White all over again.

Interesting that the school practically acknowledges that there is sexual activity going on at their school.  I guess its fine for boys at the Hershey school to have sex and potentially contract other STDs, as long as it isn't HIV.   ::)

This story is a few months old, no?
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline emeraldize

It's marked as December 2, 2011. In February, I posted a Boycott of Hershey notice in the Activism forum.

The following link is the most recent posting by the AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania which filed suit for this case. It appears it will occur (when is not stated) in Philadelphia.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/02/aids_law_project_asks_for_milt.html

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:19:36 pm by emeraldize »

Offline LoboDog

I hope they have deep pockets... On ADA grounds alone they have already lost a court case.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/ap/2012/08/07/Boy_eyes_offer_after_Pa_school_changes_HIV_policy.html

http://www.poz.com/articles/Hershey_Admission_HIV_1_22790.shtml

Boy eyes offer after Pa. school changes HIV policy
By MARK SCOLFORO,
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 07, 2012
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on google Share on email More Sharing Services 0
HARRISBURG, Pa. --

(AP) — A Pennsylvania 9th-grader is considering whether to enroll in the Milton Hershey School following the private boarding school's decision to treat HIV-positive applicants the same as others.

The school said Monday it was adopting the new policy and had offered admission to the boy, who lives in the Philadelphia area.

The school says it still believes its decisions were appropriate, but made the changes after getting guidance to the contrary from the U.S. Department of Justice.

The boy's federal lawsuit against the Milton Hershey School remains pending in Philadelphia federal court.

Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All right reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Rockin

Ignorance runs rampart. Glad they changed their minds but that won't change the fact that they probably made this young boy feel like shit.

Offline 0608

Seriously.  It's been about 30 years since Ryan White, right?  About time they educated themselves (and it's a SCHOOL, crying out loud!).

And as for the whole argument that the kid might start having sex, then why not deny admission to any student who has hands because he or she might use them to strangle the other students at some point?  Just such a ridiculous argument.

Offline Rockin

And I also hated the fact the principal keep saying that the boy had a "disease". As far as I know he's not sick, he's a carrier and that is very different. She had quite some nerve to talk to the cameras about it as if she was very sure of herself.

Offline onemoretime

Absolutely outrageous.   he poses a direct threat to other studends because he can have unprotected sex with them.  so can an untested person that has the virus and don't know it.  this is a crock of shit.  god it pisses me off
08/04 diag 490 cd4 vl 50,000
10/25/05 436 50,513 hvb 1.1 billion
12/13/05 truvada sustiva
02/16/06 742 und, hpb 63,000
04/27/06 740 und hpb 60,000
01/05/07 458 und hvb und
03/08   470 undetectable still on atripla. Non smoking (chantex)
08/08 cd4 550 undetectable hiv, Hep B UND. Atripla
06/09  cd4 444, vl undetectable testo 130
09/09/09 CD4 687 46% UND  Testo 213 started androgel
10/12/09 cd4 682 46% und testo 597
01/12/10 cd4 842 48% und testo 434
041010 cd4 693  53% testo 492
100410 cd4 568 48% testo 523
012711 cd4 523 hcv 56 testo 596
083011 cd4 280 Hcv/HIV und
042912 cd4 158 hcv /hiv und, was on hep c for 11 months. do have ssdi filed and getting LTD
061912 cd4 151, bactrum, hep c and hiv und
071712 cd4 287 52% HIV HCV und
112012 cd4 520

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.