Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:19:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 167
Total: 167

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Winner's Circle...  (Read 4759 times)

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
The Winner's Circle...
« on: July 27, 2006, 10:02:29 am »
Does anyone know Sam Hornish Jr. ? He is the 2006 winner of The Indy 500 race. Yesterday we had "Sam Hornish Jr Day" Yes, he grew up in the same neck of the woods as i have. But anyways, the town was flooded big media moguals, and what not. We had a parade, and a celebration for him. During the festivities, he expressed his association with the shriner hospitals, and his passion in helping sick youth,etc. Afterwards he offered to sign autographs.

after my kids got thier stuff autographed,etc i approached the man to get a poster autographed, and while he was autographing it, i disclosed my status to him. I further went on to explain that Im an aids survivor, but to do so i had to go out of the area. As the area, knew NOTHING about HIV. I continued, since then i have focused on educating the communities, about HIV prevention and awareness, on my own. Speaking to schools, to large public groups, etc. And much like a racer, to really make an impact, i too need sponsors. To make a long story short, he asked for my name and number after expressing an interest in what im doing for our community. Now, whether anyone will contact me and follow through remains to be seen, but if so, my....." Know Your Status - Take The Test " campaign will be in a full swing in more than just my hometown area....

lets hope for the best.......just thought id share it with ya*
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: The Winner's Circle...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 10:15:55 am »
I am keeping you in my thoughts, and sending you all the good energy I can muster.
Got my fingers crossed that someone from his camp contacts you.
Good job A2H !
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 11:48:10 am »
A2H,  Someday in the future...

Announcer - "This is the live AIDS CAM from car 54 at 230 miles per hour" ;D

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 11:59:01 am »
just cheer for the Aids2Hiv car, its the one wrapped in the condom*
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 12:23:34 pm »
 ;D :-*
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 02:26:49 pm »
Have never trusted sports celebs; they always show up in hospitals visiting the  'kids', do they ever think there might be an old guy in the hospital that might wanna shake their hand? and creating foundations for the 'kids'.  Magic Johonson and Lance Armstrong took on causes for all ages, not just the kids to look good in the media...don't expect a call.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 08:30:20 pm »
Hello AIDS2HIV it is Eldon. I just wanted to say that you efforts shall be appreciated and it is a good chance that you will get the call. Keep your spirits up and continue doing what you have been doing which is educating the community.

We need more people like you to focus on HIV/AIDS prevention and awareness.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 03:18:02 am »
Good for you. And good luck. I hope he calls back.
Positive since 1985

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 08:24:02 am »
thank you everyone.

I believe the whole HIV system needs an overhaul, from education to prevention, to Stigma. I am working on a presentation program for my campaign. When 40+ million worldwide are infected, and 90% are UNKNOWINGLY carrying,transmitting, and progressing with HIV/aids....Its clear to me, the efforts need changed, the message needs changed, and the public ignorance, from the commen resident up to the politicians, needs to brought into the spotlight, and changed. Sure i could get self absorbed and do as the others, get the governments hand it, spread the failing messages....but i wont. Thats what has gotten us here to this point. History will repeat itself, even with the advancement in meds, many will die just as they did in the eighties, the 10% may not,but the 90% will. Unless thier is change.

People resist change, until change is made, then they tend to follow....the problem is, no one will try to initiate the change. Education will end ignorance, and ending ignorance is when REAL progress starts.

It doesnt stop here, I will pursue this until my last days, if need be. I just need to keep working at it, until i get some private funding, Government funding requires you to be thier puppet, say what THEY want told, etc.....not my cup of tea*

Good Luck & God Bless*
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 08:26:13 am by AIDS2HIV »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.