Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:43:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 212
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone else watching the Wizard of Oz  (Read 6497 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Anyone else watching the Wizard of Oz
« on: November 28, 2010, 08:18:17 pm »

It's been on all weekend.  Just started again at 8:00 on TBS.!  :)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Anyone else watching the Wizard of Oz
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:21:18 pm »

Sorry Mods.  Wrong forum. I was really getting into it , when I posted !!   :P

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:25:15 pm »
I've already watched it twice this weekend.
in college, playing Snug the Joiner who dresses up as a timid lion in Shakespeare's MidSummer Night's Dream, I watched the movie 35 times - as an excuse of learning how to "play the part". :D Gosh knows I've seen the flix probably 100+ times.

but I've watched "Purple Rain" and "Nightmare Before Christmas" just as many times now. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:43:58 pm »
I'm DVR'ng it and gonna go to sleep to it later...  "Scarecrow, I'll miss you most of all"

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:54:06 pm »
I used to do a whole presentation on the Wizard of Oz - titled the Spirituality of the Wizard of Oz....
I would discuss the physical, mental, social and spiritual selves reflected in the story:

The scarecrow = mental self - looking for a brain
The tin man = physical self - looking for a heart
The cowardly lion = the social self - looking for courage (which is what we need in social situations) and
Dorothy = the spiritual self - looking for "home" - as the spiritual self is "home"

Dorothy had to bring together the other three - scarecrow, tin man, and lion to realize her spiritual self - home - and that all three were with her from the beginning - she didn't have to leave "home" - Kansas - and go over the rainbow to really have all that she needed.

Also, talked about the "F" word - "faith" that Dorothy had to show to get back home.... Faith is a belief in things not yet seen - Dorothy had the ability to click the slippers together that Glenda the good witch put on her feet at the beginning of Dorothy landing in Oz, but, as Glenda said, if she would have told Dorothy that at the beginning, Dorothy wouldn't have believed her - so, she gave Dorothy something she could see - the yellow brick road, and when Dorothy saw that the road led to the Emerald City as promised by Glenda - she then had the faith to believe when Glenda told her to click the shoes together 3 times and she would be back home - there was a lot more I used to put in --- still thinking about putting together a book based on my presentation - went so far as to copyright all of the material that I developed around Wizard of Oz - so, maybe I will get my butt in gear and get the thing published already... 

I've probably seen the movie over 200 times!  One of my favorites.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:57:12 pm »
How many of those watching have also seen "Wicked"? It changed my perspective of the film forever  :P

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 08:58:28 pm »
Watched the Wizard of Oz it last night.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 09:01:33 pm »
I used to do a whole presentation on the Wizard of Oz - titled the Spirituality of the Wizard of Oz....
I would discuss the physical, mental, social and spiritual selves reflected in the story:

The scarecrow = mental self - looking for a brain
The tin man = physical self - looking for a heart
The cowardly lion = the social self - looking for courage (which is what we need in social situations) and
Dorothy = the spiritual self - looking for "home" - as the spiritual self is "home"

Dorothy had to bring together the other three - scarecrow, tin man, and lion to realize her spiritual self - home - and that all three were with her from the beginning - she didn't have to leave "home" - Kansas - and go over the rainbow to really have all that she needed.

Also, talked about the "F" word - "faith" that Dorothy had to show to get back home.... Faith is a belief in things not yet seen - Dorothy had the ability to click the slippers together that Glenda the good witch put on her feet at the beginning of Dorothy landing in Oz, but, as Glenda said, if she would have told Dorothy that at the beginning, Dorothy wouldn't have believed her - so, she gave Dorothy something she could see - the yellow brick road, and when Dorothy saw that the road led to the Emerald City as promised by Glenda - she then had the faith to believe when Glenda told her to click the shoes together 3 times and she would be back home - there was a lot more I used to put in --- still thinking about putting together a book based on my presentation - went so far as to copyright all of the material that I developed around Wizard of Oz - so, maybe I will get my butt in gear and get the thing published already...  

tl;dr

I'll buy the book when you publish it :)

How many of those watching have also seen "Wicked"? It changed my perspective of the film forever  :P

I read Wicked the book, and yes it does change the perspective! Loved it.

-Will
(who is also DVR'ing "A Muppet Christmas Carol")
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline smiteler

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 09:12:15 pm »
its fun to watch with the sound off
and dark side of the moon from pink floyd playing  :D

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 09:20:20 pm »
If you have a chance - see it in blu-ray! incredible. they dont make em like that anymore.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 10:32:21 pm »
If you have a chance - see it in blu-ray! incredible. they dont make em like that anymore.

And I rue the day when some greedy b*stard in Hollywood feels it needs to be re-made.  :-\

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08:38 am »
I've read all the Wicked books. (yes, there's more than one) Would love to see the musical some day.

They don't air The Wizard of Oz here at the holidays like they do in the States. That's one of the few things I miss about the States. That and the rest of the seasonal shows, like A Charlie Brown Christmas. :-\
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Basquo

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 12:30:32 pm »
Huge fan here, and a few years ago I had the great pleasure of seeing it on the big screen at the Paramount downtown.

Offline Dale Parker

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 10:37:51 pm »
I must be the only homo on earth who cannot stand that movie.  For some reason those flying monkeys terrify me. The few times that I tried to be a good fagot and watch it I had monkey nightmares for a week after wards.
  At my last job the girls that I worked with asked me if I was going to watch it when it came on TV in Canada (I think they where trying to bring me out of the closet at work). I mentioned how terrified I was of the monkeys. The next morning I walked into my office to find pictures of those fucking moneys all over my office.  They had taped them to my monitor, hidden them in my day planner, placed them in my desk drawers and hidden them under my blotter. I found out later that they had hidden 35 pictures. It had to be my worst day at the office that I ever had. It took weeks for me to feel safe walking into my office.
Apr 09  CD4 21, CD4/CD8 ratio 0 VL 500,000+
July 09 CD4 158, CD4/CD812% VL 750
Oct 09 CD4 157 CD4/CD8 14% VL UD
Feb 10 CD4 197, CD4/CD8 11% VL UD
May 10  CD4 252 CD4/CD8 12% VL UD
Aug 10 CD4 211 VL UD
Nov 10 CD4 272 CD4/CD8 0.138 VL UD

Granny60

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 10:40:09 pm »
Go Dorthy. Go Toto! Glenda, you are my hero!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »
Go Toto!
Having bred cocker spaniels for 2 decades and having owned a pet store for nearly a decade, I'm an animal lover..... but I do hate that Toto! It's all the fault of that damned dog. If he hadn't bit Almira Gulch, Dorothy would have never had any problems. LOL

The next morning I walked into my office to find pictures of those fucking moneys all over my office.
damn! That's just cruel!
Now when I was 5, the witch showing up in the crystal ball was the part that scared me.
"Auntie Em! Auntie Em! Come back! I'll give you Auntie Em, my pretty!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Dale Parker

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 11:18:00 pm »
The funny thing about me reading this entry today is that I'm wearing one of my favorite gay T-shirts.
It says:
Aunty Em,
Hate you!
Hate Kansas!
Taking the dog,
Dorthy
Best of all there is not a monkey in site.
Apr 09  CD4 21, CD4/CD8 ratio 0 VL 500,000+
July 09 CD4 158, CD4/CD812% VL 750
Oct 09 CD4 157 CD4/CD8 14% VL UD
Feb 10 CD4 197, CD4/CD8 11% VL UD
May 10  CD4 252 CD4/CD8 12% VL UD
Aug 10 CD4 211 VL UD
Nov 10 CD4 272 CD4/CD8 0.138 VL UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 04:20:55 am »
Ooops.... when I posted in this thread yesterday, I never realised it was in Living.

So this thread has its ruby slippers on and it's clicking those heels like mad and saying....

There's no place like Off Topic. There's no place like Off Topic. There's no place like Off Topic.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 04:24:30 am »
The funny thing about me reading this entry today is that I'm wearing one of my favorite gay T-shirts.
It says:
Aunty Em,
Hate you!
Hate Kansas!
Taking the dog,
Dorthy
Best of all there is not a monkey in site.

I've heard a paraphras of this a long long time ago a little bit more crude.

Dear Em,

Fuck you, Fuck Kansas, I'm taking the dog.

Dorothy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.