Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 367
Total: 369

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Straight to the Point: Something for Heterosexual Pozzies  (Read 7217 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Straight to the Point: Something for Heterosexual Pozzies
« on: October 15, 2007, 07:38:14 pm »
Matty the Damned has noticed that from time to time HIV+ heterosexual members lament the dearth of HIV specific services that cater to their particular needs. He understands where they're coming from.

In Australia HIV services are very much oriented towards gay men due to the epidemiological realities of the pandemic here. But much of the criticisms that our straight brethren make are true. It's very difficult to participate in a support group or similar when you're the only one of your kind and it seems like everyone else is speaking a different language.

By and large down here, HIV positive heterosexuals are ignored by other poz people. Old hatreds and distrust runs deep.

Here in NSW, the Department of Health funds an outfit that is designed to cater to the particular needs of heterosexual men and women. I know it's not much immediate use to people in other countries, but PozHet has been quite successful here and is highly respected in the wider positive community.

PozHet was originally called "Straight Arrows" but somewhere along the way they changed their name. Given that I'm not a heterosexual I've not had any direct contact with them, but as I said they have a good reputation here.

Why do I provide this link? Well, the HIV services and support structures that gay men have today came about because of grassroots activism. Somebody got off their backsides and did something to address an obvious problem. The same thing is true about PozHet. HIV positive heterosexuals identified a need here in NSW and went about doing something for themselves. Their labours have been rewarded.

Maybe HIV positive heterosexuals in other countries will be inspired by what PozHet are doing down here.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline 404error

Re: Straight to the Point: Something for Heterosexual Pozzies
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:46:07 pm »
Canada is far too politically correct for something like that to take hold.  I am almost always seen as a "heterosexual white male" before I'm seen as a PWA by many so-called social do-gooders in this part of the world.
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:49:34 pm »
Crap. Canada and Australia are very much alike. If heterosexuals here can do it they can do it there.

You defeat yourself before you even begin.

My point is simple. If you want things to change you've gotta do something yourself. Sitting on your fat backside and bitching all the time will get you nowhere. Why don't you make contact with the people at PozHet and ask for some advice and support?

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:54:16 pm »
Canada is far too politically correct for something like that to take hold.  I am almost always seen as a "heterosexual white male" before I'm seen as a PWA by many so-called social do-gooders in this part of the world.

That's why the this whole business of "political correctness" is generally boggling to me.  I would think that having an organization like this (or perhaps advocating for one) would be considered the "politically correct" thing to do.

I have to say, though...that statement also makes me wonder to what degree you battle against this perception from the "do-gooders" in your part of the world.  As in, I generally believe people will be perceived however they wish if they are insistant on it enough.

Just thoughts.

EDIT TO SAY:  I did not see Matty's post as I put this one up.  It looks like we are very much in agreement on our take of it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:57:16 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline 404error

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:19:20 pm »
That's why the this whole business of "political correctness" is generally boggling to me.  I would think that having an organization like this (or perhaps advocating for one) would be considered the "politically correct" thing to do.

It should be considered the politically correct thing to do but in my experience it is not.  It's hard for people to see heterosexual whites as being in a position of social disadvantage.  Also, many of these do-gooders mix their social causes so while they may be advocates of greater access to services for PWA's they are also up in arms in the fight against white priviledge.  How can one advocate on behalf of services needed for a segment of the population that they generally dislike, or perhaps better put, see as being born into a position of perpetual social advantage?

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 08:24:24 pm »
Checked out the site. Wishes they had something like it here. My ASO does all it can and I guess there is a support group but has never gone. Why? Where I am, more than likely people would be more into hooking up than support. I guess I shouldn't say that considering that I have never gone. I know there are other hetero poz people here but I can't seem to find them.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline 404error

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 08:28:27 pm »
perhaps I could immigrate to Australia?  I've always liked Aussie girls, so friendly and generally pretty fit... plus the weather would be such a step in the right direction!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 08:32:16 pm »
You could always try, Up. ;)

But seriously visit the "contact us" link on the PozHet site and get in touch. Maybe they can give you advice on how to go about establishing a similar group or movement in your community.

An email doesn't cost anything and the worse that can happen is you get no response. At least you'll have tried.

MtD

Offline 404error

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 08:41:05 pm »
Where I am, more than likely people would be more into hooking up than support

This is a valid concern and one that I'm sure the women's organizations are worried about.  I imagine that there would be some people there looking to "hook up" but I'd wager they'd be in the minority.  Plus, I'm sure it would be no more meat markety than an ASO that serves the MSM community... (although I really have no idea, merely speculating...)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 09:27:14 pm »
Thanks Matty. I'm going to see if we can start something similar in my city even if it means making it part of an existing ASO's service offerings.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 10:12:04 pm »
There was a 30 second story today on the local news about heterosexual women with HIV having difficulties with their doctors who were not understanding them and not giving them the support they needed. It was local news, so basically the research was nil and the anchors didn't know what they were talking about. What I wanted to find was a link to more information from their website, nothing, zilch. I emailed them earlier today asking for more information about this study and what was done to help those women, no reply yet.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline keyite

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 02:20:39 pm »
Queen,

I've been in a couple of support groups, am still in one of them. Specifically for gay men, and if there's one stereotype pretty true about gay guys it must be that we don't ever tend to miss any opportunity for hooking up. Yet these groups have definitely not been about that. Friendships forged, yes, but definitely not quick hookups.

I think you should give your local hetero group a chance. I obviously don't know what it's like to be a straight and poz but I imagine it can be pretty lonely. So to find others you have to actually go out there and seek them out!  ;)

And Matty's right - where nothing is available, try starting something up - the need is definitely there.

Offline srmn98

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 04:33:46 pm »
thanks for the link, matty ! 

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 08:08:19 am »
Thanks Matty.  I am checking out the site now.  Cristy

Offline mjmel

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 07:52:38 am »
A super, proactive post, Matty! Well done.
xxx,
Mike

Offline freakedout

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 07:54:45 pm »
If you think it's hard to be a HIV+ heterosexual, try adding to that a Christian I can't find any support for me.

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 08:00:49 pm »
Poznet seems to be a New South Wales organisation, as Straight Arrows still operates out of Fairfield House in Comercial Road, Prahan in Victoria and is also based in Hobart care of Tascahrd in Liverpool Street.

Regards
Scuddly
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.