Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 389
Total: 392

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Discharged Student Loan (So I thought)  (Read 4667 times)

Offline jazzstar

Discharged Student Loan (So I thought)
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:52:11 pm »
Hello!  I've been positive for nearly 20 years.  During the first few years (pre triple comb) I was given an AIDS diagnosis due to my tcell count.  Having just lost my partner to AIDS I decided to "get things in order" so my folks wouldn't have to deal with lingering bills, etc.

I declared personal bankruptcy and had my student loans permanently discharged.  At the time this was a huge relief!

Fortunately, my numbers improved significantly and I decided to go back to work.  The bankruptcy and student loans did cross my mind but I decided that I had handled them legally and who knew how long these new medication would last.  Case closed.

Nearly 20 years later I began receiving letters from a collection agency about the student loans.  After multiple calls and being harassed I stopped responding to the collection agency.

The Department of Education has now began sending me letters requesting payment.   They are saying they have no record of a discharge and that I owe three times the loan amount in full.  I did not save any records as I did not expect to be needing them!

I have not worked in nearly seven years as I have some facial wasting issues.  Yes, I've tried sculptra to no avail.

Am I the only one out there with this experience or can anyone relate?    Looking for some direction.  I have just reached out to the Aids Legal Referral Service at the medical clinic I attend and hope to get some guidance.

Thanks for listening and perhaps for sharing your thoughts!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Discharged Student Loan (So I thought)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 06:19:53 am »
Jazz, sorry you're having to deal with this.  When I was first diagnosed, I had a couple student loans discharged, and have since gone back to work. I've never heard anything about the discharged loans.  Something not right must have happened when you went through the discharge process. 

When I had mine discharged, I had gotten a letter from the state of Michigan (they were the holders) stating they were all totally "forgiven."  The doctor I had at the time filled out the paperwork.   

If they have no record if you getting them discharged, I wonder if you could get them discharged now?  I mean, in case something happened to where it really didn't go through the first time, as you thought it did.  It just doesn't make sense that they would be coming back on you for loans that you thought were forgiven.  I'm interested in this scenario, so please let us know what happens. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:45:25 am »
It is part of a money making scheme that "collection agencies"of businesses and apparently state governments use to get back student and other types of loan even if was discharged 40 years.  The main thing is if they can make you agree that you still owe the money and make a payment, and have a recording as proof for the court, they will then force you to pay back the loan in full.  In your situation, it is likely that the State has seen, somewhere on record, that you had a loan and it was not paid back.  They are not concern that it was discharged, as long as the can get you and people in the same situation to pay it back.  It is pure business and a money in the state's pocket.  

You have proof that it was discharged and you can send a copy of the discharge letter to the appropriate state office and a letter of complaint to the Governor, the Mayor and the State Attorney General Office to enforce your position and to have all the agencies and government offices know that possible illegal collectionpractices are being used against the people of your state.  You have rights and the letter is proof that the loan was discharged.  Stand up to them and fight for your rights.  
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:54:51 am by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:47:58 am »
Hello!  I've been positive for nearly 20 years.  During the first few years (pre triple comb) I was given an AIDS diagnosis due to my tcell count.  Having just lost my partner to AIDS I decided to "get things in order" so my folks wouldn't have to deal with lingering bills, etc...

Nearly 20 years later I began receiving letters from a collection agency about the student loans.  After multiple calls and being harassed I stopped responding to the collection agency.

The Department of Education has now began sending me letters requesting payment.   They are saying they have no record of a discharge and that I owe three times the loan amount in full.  I did not save any records as I did not expect to be needing them!

Am I the only one out there with this experience or can anyone relate?    Looking for some direction.  I have just reached out to the Aids Legal Referral Service at the medical clinic I attend and hope to get some guidance.

Thanks for listening and perhaps for sharing your thoughts!
You can try to find court records of your case and they will have the information that the loans were discharged.  Then take that proof, send a copy to the "collection agency," and tell them to take your name off the call list.  After that, send a letter of complaint to the Governor's, the Mayor and the State Attorney General office and have all let them know that you are being harassed by some "collection agency."  Stand up to them for you are in the right. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:54:07 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:01:00 am »
You can find court records of your case and they will have the information that the loans were discharged.  Then take that proof, send a copy to the "collection agency," and tell them to take your name off the call list.  After that, send a letter of complaint to the Governor's, the Mayor and the State Attorney General office and have all let them know that you are being harassed by some "collection agency."  Stand up to them for you are in the right.  
To stop the harassing calls, simply tell the to stop calling and have a record of the date and time you told them to stop.  If they continue to call, have a record of every call they made to you, tell them again to stop and let the State Attorney General know you had told them to stop calling and they have not complied.  The State Attorney will then directly investigate the matter and tell the collection agency to stop.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.