Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:44:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 571
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 576
Total: 576

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: a study on neurocognitive 'impairment'  (Read 2056 times)

Offline harleymc

a study on neurocognitive 'impairment'
« on: December 14, 2019, 03:30:17 am »
https://www.catie.ca/en/catienews/2019-12-05/exploring-impact-aging-brains-hiv-positive-and-hiv-negative-people I had a bit of a laugh at this 'neurocognive impairment' that for the majority was symptom free.

Apparently you can be impaired without being impaired.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:56:16 pm by POZ Forum Moderators »

Offline Mindless

Re: a study on neurocognitive 'impairment'
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 05:50:41 am »
Hi Harley,

link is not working.

Or they mean the affected subjects don’t acknowledge the impairment?.... which would be even worst in a way...  ;D
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 06:53:40 am »
Here is the link. Not really seeing much new out of the study.

https://www.catie.ca/en/catienews/2019-12-05/exploring-impact-aging-brains-hiv-positive-and-hiv-negative-people

" The good news is that in most cases of neurocognitive impairment in HIV-positive people who have an undetectable viral load thanks to ART, individuals are usually symptom free or experience only minor impairment. What’s more, studies have found that HIV-related dementia is relatively rare in Canada and other high-income countries in people who maintain an undetectable viral load."

"The scientists found that about 36% of the HIV-positive participants and 24% of the HIV-negative participants had some degree of neurocognitive impairment. After taking many factors into account in their statistical analysis, they found that HIV infection was associated with an increased risk of neurocognitive impairment. However, the vast majority of people with such neurocognitive impairment were either symptom-free (asymptomatic) or had mostly mild symptoms."

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:59:25 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline ZachR

• Let's look at the stars again
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 07:27:09 am »
Well... to their measurements, forgetting where you put your keys once in a while could indicate mild cognitive impairment I suppose.. that means I had it in my teen years long before HIV. As Jim says nothing new, but in general it confirms other studies and also confirms the efficacy of treatment today. Happy news. 
25.10.19 VL 43
26.05.19  CD4+ 685 %26 VL 55
27.03.19  CD4+ 850 %31 VL 24
***Switched to Biktarvy due to side effects.
25.02.19  CD4+ 740 %30 VL 78
15.01.19  CD4+ 1600(might be wrong) %0.7 VL 54
05.11.18  CD4+ 720 VL 1,100
17.09.18  CD4+ 962 %25 VL 14,000,000 - Started first regimen on Triumeq
15.07.18 - diagnosed, CD4+ 490 %20
20.04.18 - infected

https://ibb.co/X74GV0X

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 12:38:28 pm »
to their measurements, forgetting where you put your keys once in a while could indicate mild cognitive impairment I suppose..
I did miss something or not follow a link? I didn't actually read anywhere how these studies measured the neurocognitive decline. I would imagine the standard neurocognitive tests used and would rule out occasional normal forgetfulness.

LOL

HIV-related dementia
i would have rather seen that one listed as "Advanced HIV-related" or, as it used to be called , "AIDS-related" (which really is a sad and terrible thing to behold)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 02:29:07 pm »
Have you guys ever had a cog screening? I have as a requirement to try to stay employed.  There exhausting.  The doc I saw was in the very early studies where advanced infection and older control drugs were a major factor.  He told me they truely did see long term impairment with the early survivors.  Anymore he's told me it's almost a nonfactor.  The rare cases of neurological impairment he sees today usually have another likely cause.  Long term drug use, ect.

Just the same I cheer on new studies.  The more of them the more likely I'll have one less battery of testing from this damn able infection.
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.