Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:21:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reyataz+Truvada+Norvir  (Read 12134 times)

Offline sffrboy

Reyataz+Truvada+Norvir
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:14:36 pm »
I am 25 y.o, and I was diagnosed with HIV almost two months ago and just started my regiment yesterday. Starting at cd4=22 and VL= 45,000. Overall, I feel and look healthy. I exercise constantly (cycling, gym, and bikram yoga). The only thing I've noticed since starting the pills has been this constant subtle noise in my right ear. Is that common?

Thanks in advance... This blog has helped me so much with the transition.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Reyataz+Truvada+Norvir
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:02:35 am »
Hi sffrboy, welcome to the forums.

I've moved your thread into the Questions About Treatment & Side Effects forum as it's the more appropriate place for it, rather than the Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV forum where you originally posted.

I can't say that I've ever heard of such a side effect from the meds you're on, but maybe someone else has.

Have you been swimming this summer? As it's only one ear, I have to wonder if you're not just coming down with an ear infection of some sort, rather than it being caused by the meds. Usually a side effect like that would present in both ears, not just one if it were due to the meds.

You should have a doctor look at your ear.

Again, welcome to the forums.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sffrboy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:54:59 pm »
It's gone now, but I will still double check with my Dr. So far so good, day #3. I actually feel more energized than the previous days. I cannot wait for my first labs after starting the treatment.

Thanks for the support!

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:12:20 am »
I'm starting this combo today (first time taking meds, recently dxd)....I'm hopeful that the side effects won't be too bad....The Doc said that there might be some GI issues for a couple days but those should taper off....as soon as I go UD and stay that way, he plans to change my meds and get me off Norvir and put me on something less toxic....Luckily I don't have any resistance issues so treatment options are wide open....

It's weird...as much as I couldn't wait to get my meds I'm kind of scared to start them....just got to suck it up though and get it going..... :-[

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:59:00 am »
I'm starting this combo today (first time taking meds, recently dxd)....I'm hopeful that the side effects won't be too bad....The Doc said that there might be some GI issues for a couple days but those should taper off....as soon as I go UD and stay that way, he plans to change my meds and get me off Norvir and put me on something less toxic....Luckily I don't have any resistance issues so treatment options are wide open....

It's weird...as much as I couldn't wait to get my meds I'm kind of scared to start them....just got to suck it up though and get it going..... :-[
a couple thoughts for you:
almost everyone has some initial side effects (as in the GI issues etc). You have to remember that extreme changes are happening in your body. The amount of HIV is going down, as the meds interrupt its life cycle. Plus the amount of medication is going up in your system. It's not like on the first dose, you suddenly have the right level of meds in you consistently- that takes a few doses to get regulated. Getting adjusted to all that often results in some sort of "nasty feeling" (gas, nausea, diarrhea). You can sometimes throw it a little rash, fever or yellowing (with this combo) within the first couple of weeks; but after that it should be smooth sailing.

I would never call or think of norvir as "toxic". I've taken it for 15+ yrs, with only GI issues off-n-on as it went from liquid to gelcap to tablet. Oh, in the liquid form it was really rough on my guts but the effects are so worth it. Norvir is an "booster". You actually have to take less Reyataz and Truvada because the norvir helps your body metabolism MORE of each of those medications. Norvir also boosts the amount of other HIV drugs. Why it even boosts non-HIV meds!

best wishes as you and the meds begin to fight the HIV!!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 03:54:03 pm »
Very interesting...thanks for the advice and tips...my Doc thought that Norvir might add stress to my liver which is why he wants to switch me off of it eventually...but I suppose we will see...one day at a time.   :)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:14:00 pm »
my Doc thought that Norvir might add stress to my liver which is why he wants to switch me off of it eventually
do you already have problems with your liver?
If not, then it just seems like "borrowing trouble" to be planning for what "might" (but might not) happen in the future. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 05:03:41 pm »
Nope, all my levels are normal....he said other than HIV I'm very healthy.   ;D

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:33:40 pm »
OK, so I just took my first dose....I have a couple of questions since you have so much experience with this combo....I know that we are supposed to take these pills with food...how much food calorie wise do you think is necessary (I forgot to ask my doc about that)....

Also, our doc said that we have a four hour window..meaning that if we aim to take meds at 7pm every day, we could go  as early as 5 or as late as 9....but that we should stick as close to 7pm as possible/when possible....I was curious about your feelings on that advice as well...

Thanks so much to all...this  board has been a huge source of comfort for me over the last few months.    :D

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:03:46 pm »
I simply take mine with dinner every night - that solves both problems of time and calories. ;)

I don't really worry about the calories (although there is some amt, 400 cals or something like that) because dinner usually fits the bill. I don't worry about timing so much either. I mean these are once a day pills. Since I pretty much eat dinner within the same 4 hr period of any given day, I end up taking my pills on the average of the same time most days.

remember a few hours isn't going to make much of a difference. why? because studies have shown that 95% or greater adherence results in viral suppression. So if actually missing a few doses a month isn't going to kill me LOL then a few hours give or take isn't that big of a deal.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline sffrboy

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 10:15:32 pm »
Some updates: I started this combo 8 days ago. I am taking it during breakfast, which usually includes a smoothie (blackberries, natural yogurt, bananas, and strawberries) and either a veggie omelette or oatmeal with fruits. So far I don't have any major issues. In fact, I've noticed I feel more alert than usual. I work out normally (gym, cycling, and bikram yoga). There was some flatulence involved the first few days, but it has decreased a lot now.

Yet, I've noticed difficulties falling asleep specially during the last two nights.  Should I worry about it? I tried melatonin yesterday, and it helped me. I'm going to see my doctor next week and plan to bringing this up to her. Sometimes I also feel my body temperature slightly warmer at night, but it is usually for short periods of time. My eyes have also started to look slightly more yellow; I don't worry much about it because I've read that it was a normal side effect.

Jimbalaya, good luck with your first week, and I hope it goes smoothly for you as well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:17:14 pm by sffrboy »

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 10:56:38 am »
Thanks so much...my partner and I are on day 3...and other than a slight headache all day yesterday (which could be not related at all) we've both felt fine no issues at all    ;D   All that worrying for nothing.  .... we take ours at night, and my partner feels kind of 'speedy' a couple hours after taking his...like he had a red bull or something....it could be a mental thing as I hadn't read anything about that being a side effect?  Has this happened to anyone else....I don't feel it (though I wish I would haha)   

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 11:26:22 pm »
OK, so on day 4 (almost 5) I started to get a little  bit jaundiced.....not very but in certain lights my skin looks a little bit yellow...from what I've read this is a possible side effect of Reyatz....From what I've read it can either go away after a couple of weeks or not...if not I might have to switch meds...wondering if anyone else had this side effect??   Thanks!

p.s.  Other than that, everything's been great, hardly any GI issues at all...

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 11:41:23 pm »
OK, so on day 4 (almost 5) I started to get a little  bit jaundiced.....not very but in certain lights my skin looks a little bit yellow...from what I've read this is a possible side effect of Reyatz....From what I've read it can either go away after a couple of weeks or not...if not I might have to switch meds...wondering if anyone else had this side effect??   Thanks!

p.s.  Other than that, everything's been great, hardly any GI issues at all...

Didn't we go over this recently when you were talking about your partner on google overload regarding hcv symptoms?

Did you ever stop to think that it might depend upon the type of lighting you're in and its luminosity how you'd look?  Incandescent lights have a different cast than fluorescent, candle, or flood lights.  It would be in your best interest to stop googling and then looking for every little thing to manifest itself regarding your personal situation.  It sounds like you are stuck in self-fulfilling prophecy mode.

If you insist upon reading something, you should maybe read the package insert which came with your meds because it is medical in nature and not some random result found in a search engine and then ask your doctor what the probability is of you actually developing said side-effects described within.

Four and a half days is too early to be already thinking about a switch in regimens if you ask me and I'm sure many others here will agree.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 12:17:22 am »
Yikes that response seemed a little intense for no reason....I though the purpose of these forums was to pose questions such as this....

FYI, the package insert says that jaundice is a possible side effect of Reyataz, and I was at a BBQ tonight and someone else mentioned that my skin looked strange, so I don't think it's self-fulfilled...(this is someone who knows nothing about my status or meds).
I've had jaundice before so I know what it looks like, just thought i would see what others on this cocktail have been through. 

I do plan to ask my dr. tomorrow but as it's Sunday night I can't really reach him so thought I would use this resource.... but thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 11:45:45 am »
I also suffer from jaundice due to the Atazanavir+Norvir combination but it's mainly on my eyes, not my skin. My Bilirubin levels are always high.

My doctor said I could switch the Atazanavir for Fozamprenavir if I wanted to, as this one does not increase Bilirubin in blood. But other than that I don't feel any side effect. I sometimes feel a little bloated but that could be from a number of different reasons...not going to the gym regularly, age, eating habits, etc.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 05:45:52 pm »
I also suffer from jaundice due to the Atazanavir+Norvir combination but it's mainly on my eyes, not my skin.
I was very glad the Reyataz didn't give me any jaundice. I had it before when I had HepB. My skin wasn't discolored but my eyes were - a lot. I looked like I had the werewolf eyes Michael Jackson has at the end of "thriller" LOL. ;D We were having a mini-epidemic of HepB at the retail store where I was working for and the HR director freaked out when I stopped in her office and she noticed my eyes. ROFLMAO good times!

definitely check in with your doc. Sometimes the jaundice is a temporary effect and sometimes it's a reason to switch meds. You'll need a doc and blood work to determine that, unless of course the yellow effect is already toning down.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 06:31:26 pm »
Thanks for the advice!    ;D.  I did call the doc today and they asked me to come in...they were surprised that it happened so quickly as they said only a couple of other patients of theirs had this side effect and it was after being on Reyataz for a while...they did send me in for some bloodwork though to see what's going on.....thanks for sharing your experiences. 

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »
I used to be on Reyetaz and had to switch because of this side effect.  Now mind you, this didn't occur until after I had been on it for over a year.  Prior to that, it only happened briefly and quickly subsided.  What it did was "tell on me" if I went out and partied.  Any booze or um....anything else, and I'd get yellow for a day or two and then return to normal.

While I don't dismiss your concern (I understand that yellow is YELLOW and can interfere with the quality of your personal / professional life), I do agree with the above that this is WAY too early to think about tossing this combo out the window.  You need to give your body a little more time to stablize on it.  Them's the breaks when it comes to HIV - you may have to just expect to live with the yellow or the squits or whatever else the problem is for a bit until your body chills out and gets used to it.

Even if it doesn't, it still beats dead.  You can bet I'll walk around like Chiquita before I become fertilizer.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 08:29:30 pm »
You can bet I'll walk around like Chiquita before I become fertilizer.
ROFLMAO  ;D

That reminds me of a situation I've been in that makes me not always understand those newbies with their fear of meds. Some of those early meds had me literally throwing up every day. As horrible as that was, it gave me just barely quality of life. Oh not that I didn't stop meds a couple of time for quality of life vs barfing every day; but I stuck with my meds for the most part because barfing was better than being dead.

So when I switched and moved onto this RTN combo and the puking suddenly slacked off to 4-6 times a month, I thought I was in heaven - without having died to get there. ;D After 30 days a month barfing to only 6 days a month barfing, why, that was amazing! then for some reason, when my last late partner went into the hospital - that was 3 yrs on this combo with 6 barf days a month - my numbers leveled off and the barfing totally quit!! I've only thrown up about a dozen and a half times in the last 4 yrs now. I thank RTN for feeling so normal, and not feeling so nauseous, these days.

there's a lot of misery one can tolerate when one has too - to not be dead. Puking a couple times a month or living life looking like a yellow banana isn't all that bad. LOL

Hopefully your discoloration will be a short-lived side effect, Jbalaya. When are you seeing the doc? Keep us informed about what's going on with ya.  ;)

hey Rockin, so you are still jaundiced from the meds? Is this an on-going thing? How long? Is it something you have some control over, like Tim talked about moderating alcohol usage to not increase the effect?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 09:31:10 pm »
I went today to get the lab work done.....

I understand that yellow is not the end of the world, and will follow whatever advice my doc gives me as I trust and value his opinion immensely.....I was just wondering what experience others had....I wasn't sure if it was a temporary or permanent side effect...if its permanent I might want to switch...as a teacher I can only imagine the jokes 8 year olds could come up with.    :)

We aren't resistant to any meds so we do have options...we almost went with Atripla  but opted for this instead, I'm not switching right away......I'll wait for the labs, meet with my doc. And go from there.   :)

Offline Rockin

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 11:59:36 am »
hey Rockin, so you are still jaundiced from the meds? Is this an on-going thing? How long? Is it something you have some control over, like Tim talked about moderating alcohol usage to not increase the effect?

It was worse in the beginning actually. A couple of people noticed the yellowness in my eyes and it really freaked me out because people start to believe you might have a liver problem or Hep.

But my Bilirubin level is still high, I just did a full blood test 2 months ago and it was the only thing that was off. Something like 2,2 or like that. My eyes never went back to being completely white. I have no idea if it gets worse when I drink.

My doctor said in the beginning is better to stick to the original combo if its working for you. Its been a year now and I'm considering whether I should switch to Fozamprenavir. He stated that he's not against that, but then I would be switching 1 Atazanavir pill for 2 Fozamprenavir. Which means, 6 pills instead of 5. Not a major difference at all but well...I haven't decided on it yet. Any thoughts?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »
My doctor said in the beginning is better to stick to the original combo if its working for you. ...I haven't decided on it yet. Any thoughts?
at times having been stuck on some med with side effects because there was nothing else (due to my resistance profile and no new meds coming on the market), I've always been of the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fck-with-it mindset because running out of options is no fun.

however, there are plenty of options for someone in your position.  It's been a year now, what do you think about the side effect? Is the yellowing too much or something you have to explain all the time? Do you drink much? Do you have lots of stress? (you know, things that might affect your liver and raise the bilirubin level even higher) Is that level too high for your comfort right now? Answer those questions and I guess you'll know your answer - because trading 6 pills for 5 in a non-issue I would think. ;) ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Rockin

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 01:07:55 pm »
at times having been stuck on some med with side effects because there was nothing else (due to my resistance profile and no new meds coming on the market), I've always been of the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fck-with-it mindset because running out of options is no fun.

however, there are plenty of options for someone in your position.  It's been a year now, what do you think about the side effect? Is the yellowing too much or something you have to explain all the time? Do you drink much? Do you have lots of stress? (you know, things that might affect your liver and raise the bilirubin level even higher) Is that level too high for your comfort right now? Answer those questions and I guess you'll know your answer - because trading 6 pills for 5 in a non-issue I would think. ;) ;D

Well I do miss the white in my eyes lol. I don't know if more people notice and just don't say anything about it. Its not about disclosure or anything, sometimes I'm just afraid it might make my eyes a bit weird.

My stress levels are fine, I'm sleeping well. But I do drink, yes. Trying to cut it down but I do. Usually a bottle of vodka a week or something like that. Actually considering switching to weed, I think in our situation is better to not overstress your liver so weed might be the way to go. I get a bit too slow with it sometimes but I honestly don't feel at the moment I can't go on about my life without any "poison" at all.

At the end of the day the biggest question is how effective Fozamprenavir is compared to Atazanavir...and possible side effects.

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 03:01:34 pm »
I'm so happy to say that after 15 days on this combo, the side effects are finally starting to wane!   I haven't jaundiced in the last 5 or 6 days, and just today my eyes are back to white--mostly (they'd been a murky yellow since day 3).....just in time too, since I go back to work on Monday.    ;D   Other than that I have had zero side effects....I will have my bilirubin level checked again on Monday, and then in 2 weeks I go in for the full workup to see how the meds are working re: viral load, percentage, cd4, etc.   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.