Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:28:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Vitamin Recommendations (And My Own List)  (Read 10138 times)

Offline TheRoof

The Vitamin Recommendations (And My Own List)
« on: August 14, 2009, 05:19:49 pm »
I am not on meds yet though eating healthy, excersice, supplements isn't going to hurt me I say. This is my vitamin list; each row is its own bottle in a sense. This is per day.

1 Multi-Daily Vitamin
Calcium/Magnesium Supplement
Fish Oil
B-Complex (Vitamin: C, b6, b12, pantothenic acid, biotin, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, folic acid)
B12 (8666 mcg)
Green Tea Supplement
Cinnamon

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
Re: The Vitamin Recommendations (And My Own List)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:45:24 pm »
I am not on meds yet though eating healthy, excersice, supplements isn't going to hurt me I say. This is my vitamin list; each row is its own bottle in a sense. This is per day.

1 Multi-Daily Vitamin
Calcium/Magnesium Supplement
Fish Oil
B-Complex (Vitamin: C, b6, b12, pantothenic acid, biotin, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, folic acid)
B12 (8666 mcg)
Green Tea Supplement
Cinnamon

Have you been diagnosed with a B12 deficiency ?

If not, that seems like too much B12 . You probably already have some B12 in your multi, and then again in your B-complex. Why do you need another 8666 mcg of B12 ? That is a lot considering the RDA is 2.4mcg. B12 and folic acid are related so you are probably creating an imbalance. Though normally most extra B vitamins will end up in your urine.

What's your reasoning for taking cinnamon ? It seems to be mostly helpful for diabetes according to
http://www.raysahelian.com/cinnamon.html .

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:21:41 pm »
I take b12 under the tongue.
I take cinnamon to control my blood sugar levels because I am a huge carbaholic. So it puts it under control.

I'll probably stop taking b12 in large amounts. I've read some of your posts, I heard that if you take vitamin C with antioxidants that it helps it absorb better in your system. *Via ascorbic acid. Do you know anything about that?

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:46:47 pm »
I take b12 under the tongue.

Me too - it's supposedly the best route for absorption. But I only take 1000mcg, not 8666mcg. And only on top of a multi, not a multi + B-complex .

I take cinnamon to control my blood sugar levels because I am a huge carbaholic. So it puts it under control.

I see.

I'll probably stop taking b12 in large amounts. I've read some of your posts, I heard that if you take vitamin C with antioxidants that it helps it absorb better in your system. *Via ascorbic acid. Do you know anything about that?

Vitamin C itself is an antioxidant. And yes, from what I read it's better to take antioxidants together, such as vitamins C and E, coq10, NAC and ALA, if you take those.

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:52:04 pm »
Me too - it's supposedly the best route for absorption. But I only take 1000mcg, not 8666mcg. And only on top of a multi, not a multi + B-complex .

I see.

Vitamin C itself is an antioxidant. And yes, from what I read it's better to take antioxidants together, such as vitamins C and E, coq10, NAC and ALA, if you take those.

When you got tested, did your virus come back with any resistance? Your numbers look pretty good for someone not on treatment. Really good actually.
My numbers are similar. Though diagnosed last year. Now Cd4, 627/vl 712

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:54:36 pm by TheRoof »

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 09:30:09 pm »
Hi,

When you got tested, did your virus come back with any resistance? Your numbers look pretty good for someone not on treatment. Really good actually.
My numbers are similar. Though diagnosed last year. Now Cd4, 627/vl 712

I had no drug resistance in my genotype. There were a couple of mutations.
Thanks, I know my numbers look good. Good enough in fact that I am enrolled in several HIV controller studies as a viremic controller. One at UCSF with Dr Jay Levy, and one at MGH with Bruce Walker. Last monday I took a day off work to fly from SF to Boston and back in less than 24 hours to give a whole blood sample to the international HIV controller study. I was quite exhausted flying red-eye. Usually I sleep very well on planes but not this time.
If your CD4 numbers keep up and the VL stays low, you may want to enroll in some controller studies too. See http://www.zephyrfoundation.org .

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:15:17 pm »
Interesting. I do have mutations, but barely any resistance. I think one drug, Zerit or AZT. One of the older ones for sure. But my doc said that with meds I can get into undetectable with no problem.
So I wonder if it is the mutations that have anything to do with controlling VL.

My numbers always stayed at 600, but in February it sparked up all the way to CD4 911 and VL 312 The reason it did it is because I was excercising hardcore consistently. So I wonder if that had anything to do with it. She also said due to my cd4 increase. Have I been sleeping more, and less stressed out? As soon as I stopped working out, and getting more stressed I guess from college finals. From March to June My numbers went back to 630's range. But VL increased to 700.

So it was rather interesting if that had anything to do with it. idk.

My doctor did say that if you do have mutations the virus is less fit. I Will definetly look into that website. Thank You For posting it.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 12:16:33 am »
Hi,

My numbers always stayed at 600, but in February it sparked up all the way to CD4 911 and VL 312 The reason it did it is because I was excercising hardcore consistently. So I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

I think it does. I started exercise more consistently about a month ago as well. I had my regular CD4 test done mid-july, and then I went to the UCSF study in late july, and my CD4 went up from 598 to 688 (see signature) which is a nice increase for 2 weeks. The percentage went up too.

Offline donna2008

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 04:52:11 pm »
I try to mainly eat a balance meal, but I try to drink one whey protein shake a day, one multivitamin and selenium, and lots of water. My protein shake contains lots of amino acids and 25 grams of protein in one serving. I try to go easy on myself because I know if I try to implement alot of different foods into my diet all at once, then I will be less likely to stick to eating properly. 8)http://
Viral Load <20 undetectable / tcells 710

Offline natthai

• The truth is not determined by majority vote.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 03:02:30 pm »
Madbrain:

You mentioned that you were taking suppliaments before you started treatment. Do you remember what you were taking exactly? Also, are you still taking any suppliaments now that you have started treatment? If so which ones and at what doses?
Infection date: February 14, 2010 (yeah really)
08/03/2010 - CD4 621 (27%) VL 72,250
25/03/2010 - CD4 981 (28%) VL 122,719 <-started anti-oxidants (ABCDE, Se, ALA, NAC)
11/08/2010 - CD4 1,365 (31%) VL 5,451

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 04:33:40 pm »
Madbrain:

You mentioned that you were taking suppliaments before you started treatment. Do you remember what you were taking exactly? Also, are you still taking any suppliaments now that you have started treatment? If so which ones and at what doses?

There was a long list. Try the search feature in this forum. The dosages were listed in my posts.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.