Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:08:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has anybody used Radiesse, yet?  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
Has anybody used Radiesse, yet?
« on: November 16, 2006, 08:29:19 am »
I'm doing a little research on Radiesse because the doctor closest to my home is using this facial filler. Not many options are available to me, though. I know of no plastic surgeon or dermatologist who has worked with lypo on hiv+ patients. I get no results on the internet . During my last appointment at the clinic where I see my internist, the social worker and a nurse told me about 3 doctors in Puerto Rico who have worked with facial fillers. One is about 15 minutes away from my home (which is a great find) but she is a doctor in general medicine who apparently took a seminar on the application of Radiesse. A nurse at the clinic told me she has seen her patients and that the results are excellent. The other 2 doctors are far away and they too are doctors in general medicine. I did hear good things about them all; that they are kind and very considerate with hiv+ persons and that in spite that they are not "specialized" in the field of plastic surgery or dermatology, they do appear to have their patients happy with their results. I do not know what these two doctors are using as a facial filling, but for the moment I would like to get some feedback from anyone here on the forum about Radiesse or Radience. Has anybody had their face done using these "fillers"?
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
Re: Has anybody used Radiesse, yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:45:07 am »

On December 7 I'm going to have my face 'done' with Radiesse.  The dermatologist feels this product is better than Sculptra.  He says the results will be immediate...though a follow-up may be required as he'd rather err on the side of underfilling rather than overfilling (like putting salt on a baked potato...easier to add more than remove.)  He states it generally lasts one to two years before more is needed. 
     I've waited a long time to finally pursue getting something done.  I'm kind of apprehensive about the whole thing...it's emotional to me I guess.  It's hardly a cheap procedure...but I want my life back.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline bobino

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 12:53:19 pm »

Gary,

Is this a permanent filler?  It sounds like it's not, if you need to have additional treatments in a couple of years.  I'm just curious as to why your doctor thinks it's better than Sculptra.

In any event, best of luck with the procedure.  I've done Sculptra, and although it's expensive, I feel that the money was well spent.  It's worth it just so that people will stop looking at you and thinking you're sick.  Hope it does give you your life back.  You deserve it.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 01:12:25 pm »
I've been reading about Radiesse and it does seem to last from 1-3 years as does Sculptra which is also temporary. It does not require as many "touch ups" as Sculptra, though. I think Gary's doctor has been trained to use radiesse and that is why he might feel more comfortable working with this product than another. That is my impression, but only Gary knows. I myself have an appointment this 21st of Nov. for an estimate of cost procedure with Radiesse. My options are limited and this is the closest doctor to where I live. I do not know if I will go through with the procedure, but if it is within my budget, I'll go for it. I prefer a temporary filler because if something goes wrong, it will eventually be absorbed. It's a very difficult decision to make, not only because of the money factor, but also because of fear of a secondary reaction and choosing a doctor with adequate training is not easy either. Where I live this procedure is scarce and I only know of 3 doctors who practice it in Puerto Rico. It is new here. Let's see how it goes for me. Wish me luck.
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Offline brian

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 03:58:59 pm »
Gary,

Have you considered going to Tijuana to to have PMMA injections?  It's a permanent filler, and the results are amazing.  I have had six Sculptra treatments in the past, and it really sucks having to refill your face every year.  You can fly from Tucson to San Diego nonstop on Southwest for cheap.  Take a Van right from the San Diego airport to the doctors office in Tijuana, have the procedure and fly back the same day.  Most people need two treatments.  This picture on my profile I took 11/17/06, two weeks after my first PMMA treatment.  If you want to ask me any questions I have given Dr. Casavantes permission to give people my contact info, so you can get it from him. 

Brian

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 08:45:56 am »

Thanks to the guys who have posted information on here. 

John...No, the Radiesse isn't permanent...he said expect one to two years before further treatment would be desired.  The dermatologist feels Radiesse has an advantage over Sculptra in that the results would be immediate (maybe a subsequent touch-up shortly thereafter.)  I think he said the cost is somewhat less than treatment with Sculptra.  With Radiesse, he charges by the vial, and estimates I'll need four vials of product.  Thanks for your support.

Brian...Thanks for the information about what your doctor in Tijuana did for you and what he can do for others.  It doesn't sound that difficult logistically from what you described (not like running all over the planet or something!)  For myself right now, I'm already set up for the work to be done here, so don't want to cancel out.  But since the Radiesse isn't permanent, I will want to keep in mind what you shared.

I think people (including those HIV) have trouble really understanding what malar wasting is all about, and how it impacts someone.  That's just my experience anyway.  Maybe it's one of those things one can only know if they themselves are experiencing it.  Well we, here, understand at least.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline philipba

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 06:18:30 am »
Please see my posts about PMMA and our January trip to Rio..  I would recommend to all to compare the prices between Mexico and Brazil before making a decision.  I think the cost savings will more than pay for the travel.  There is also the priceless advantage of having the treatment with the doctor who pioneered it.

Please contact me if you have any questions

Best,

Philip

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 05:55:31 pm »
Just got back from the appointment. Radiesse is very expensive, also. $800.00 per syringe :o and she said I'd need 4 for a full effect. Now I'm thinking about it. She told me that in USA some places were charging less but that the price does go up when shipped to the island where I live. Now I'm thinking of having it done either in Florida or Washington DC. Any recommendations? I will be in Washington DC this January on vacation.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 01:58:54 am by Catman »
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.