Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:22:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 197
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advice please. I'm from the Uk  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Reo747

• Standard
Advice please. I'm from the Uk
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:00 am »
Hello this is my first post on here and I really need some advice. My long term partner (23 years) was diagnosed HIV poz December 2011. He is still not on meds as its different in the uk and they wait till cd4 count drops below 350 before starting his latest bloods came back with cd4 of 349 and vl 55000. So it's recommended he starts meds. They have suggested Atripla as he works shifts 6am till 6pm for 3days then 6pm till 6am in night. With 3 days off. I have serious concerns about this pill as the psychological side effects are well documented. He has a stressful job that requires a clear head and this pill will probably affect that. I also don't think complera is any good as he needs to eat a full meal and can have similar side effects to Atripla. The Quad pill (Stibild) has not been approved so not available in the UK. He is going to start treatment in Feb can anyone suggest a once a day well tolerated combination of pills that can be taken at 8pm that doesn't require a meal or an empty stomach. A friend of mine is on retonovire and truvada And atsanvire and that is ok for him. What are your thoughts. My partner has burried his head in the sand and just wants me to sort out his HIV situation. He's pretty useless at taking medication so a once a day regime is essential it doesn't matter if its a few pills as long as they can all be taken together. Many thanks guys. I'm so glad I found this forum as I feel pretty confused and desperate for help.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Advice please. I'm from the Uk
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:10:12 am »
There are two once a day options available:

Atazanavir/ritonavir
Darunavir/ritonavir

These are taken with either Kivexa or Truvada, the choice depending on the outcome of various tests.

In my view darunavir is simpler, and avoids possible yellowing of the eyes and skin. Both need a little food, but a glass of milk, cereal or sandwich will do. Even a few biscuits with a cup of tea.

You may need to be persistent to not get Atripla, but a simple point like I do not consent to use of this drug, I believe the risks (side effects) outweight the benefits, is a pretty cast iron way to go. Although some people on shift work do fine on Atripla, many prefer something which does not affect their sleep and mood.

Good luck.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Reo747

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:11:05 pm »
Thanks for that. What kind of side effects would that regime have.

Offline Reo747

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 03:34:17 am »
He has started the regime you suggested. All good so far. Thanks

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:41:22 am »
Very good

Thanks for the update and good luck

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.