Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:49:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP Crisis Gets Immeasurably Worse in Florida  (Read 11739 times)

Offline edfu

ADAP Crisis Gets Immeasurably Worse in Florida
« on: April 15, 2011, 10:08:20 am »
http://adapadvocacyassociation.blogspot.com/2011/04/has-darkness-fallen-on-sunshine-state.html

The Federal Poverty Level (FPL) is $13,000, so 200% of FPL is $26,000.  Under the proposed change, anyone with an income above $26,000 would be ineligible for ADAP.     
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:18:59 am by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: ADAP Crisis Gets Immeasurably Worse in Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:50:43 pm »
The change will not only throw off a massive amount of current ADAP clients, but also significantly reduce the wait list number. Florida would then no longer have the greatest wait list in the country and this action would set a precedent for other states to enact the same measure.
Thinking about this I'm surprised states haven't already done this. ::) How do you get rid of a problem? Change the rule and hide the problem. I thought Florida technically already under-reported the ADAP problem when there was no mention of the 6,500 or so that Welvista took care of for several months.

Wonder who will track the number of HIV positive people in Florida who won't have enough money to purchase medications, but make too much to qualify for ADAP or the wait list? Although maybe that number will be assessed by the rise in people showing up at ER with life-threatening illnesses, losing their jobs, and finally qualifying for assistance.

Sad and bad times are coming to the sunshine state for sure.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:05:09 pm »
Thinking about this I'm surprised states haven't already done this. ::) How do you get rid of a problem? Change the rule and hide the problem. I thought Florida technically already under-reported the ADAP problem when there was no mention of the 6,500 or so that Welvista took care of for several months.

When I visited the doctor just about two weeks ago, he told me that NC had also done this in order to clear its wait list.  I don't know this from any other source other than his word, but I don't see that he would have any reason to pull that claim out of a hat.  Perhaps you know for certain one way or the other.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:21:10 pm »
The Federal Poverty Level (FPL) is $13,000, so 200% of FPL is $26,000.  Under the proposed change, anyone with an income above $26,000 would be ineligible for ADAP.     

Actually the FPL for a single person (2011) is $10,890.00.

Source:  http://www.coverageforall.org/pdf/FHCE_FedPovertyLevel.pdf

So anyone with an income above $21,780.00 would  become ineligible.

RAB

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »
Actually the FPL for a single person (2011) is $10,890.00.

Source:  http://www.coverageforall.org/pdf/FHCE_FedPovertyLevel.pdf

So anyone with an income above $21,780.00 would  become ineligible.

RAB

Oh, great.

But on the bright (?) side, I'd still qualify.   :-\
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:26:59 pm »
When I visited the doctor just about two weeks ago, he told me that NC had also done this in order to clear its wait list.  I don't know this from any other source other than his word, but I don't see that he would have any reason to pull that claim out of a hat.  Perhaps you know for certain one way or the other.
I found a great history of NC ADAP (http://www.nccommunityaidsfund.org/NC_ADAP_Primer.pdf This is a very interesting document with great details). Actually in 2006 the ADAP requirement was raised from 125% to 300% and by June 2010 it was lowered back to 125% with formulary reductions also. The current waiting list for NC was started in Jan 2010 and was not been cleared by the FPL change in June back down to 125% FPL, as the waiting list still enrolls those up to 300% FPL.
As of July 12, 2010, the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) has been limited to new enrollees who are at or below 125 percent of the federal poverty level. Because of increasing need and limited availability of state funding, we are not able to provide service at this time to all who are ADAP-eligible. A waiting list continues to be maintained for those individuals between 126 and 300 percent of the Federal Poverty Level.
http://www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/hiv/adap2.html
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline cardsfan69

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:18:35 pm »
Whew I totally cut this close. I live in a household size of 2 in Ft Lauderdale, FL and my FPL the last time i renewed ADAP back in March is 194% so hopefully me and my partner will be ok. His FPL of course is the same.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:24:13 pm by cardsfan69 »

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 07:30:53 pm »
Whew I totally cut this close. I live in a household size of 2 in Ft Lauderdale, FL and my FPL the last time i renewed ADAP back in March is 194% so hopefully me and my partner will be ok. His FPL of course is the same.

Mine is 275%  above FPL ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline cardsfan69

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 01:52:29 pm »
Well i'm praying for everyone Gov. Tea Party Rick Scott doesnt get his way and the FPL/income rule doesnt change. I mean we were in pretty big trouble before he got elected but I knew once he got elected he was going to make even more drastic changes to the ADAP program. He doesnt care about all of us ...........if we all died b/c of his decisions he wouldnt lose a night of sleep.

Offline cardsfan69

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »
Does anyone know if this is a for sure thing or just a proposal? If it's a sure thing i wonder when it's going to kick in

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 11:21:11 am »
Does anyone know if this is a for sure thing or just a proposal? If it's a sure thing i wonder when it's going to kick in
good timing!
There's an article in the Florida Independent about the debates on this right now.
http://floridaindependent.com/29104/at-public-hearings-testimony-against-restricting-eligibility-to-floridas-aids-drug-assistance-program

I know, working for ADAP issues in SC, that the best source of keeping on top of how these changes are going - and helping voice opposition! - is through the state-level HIV task force and other ADAP-related activist organizations. Michael Rajner (the legislative director of the Florida GLBT Democratic Caucus mentioned in that article) is an excellent source nationwide about HIV/ADAP related news through posts in the HIV_Leadership_Forum yahoogroups
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline cardsfan69

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 01:08:39 am »
Yah well HIV/AIDS advocates can talk common sense to Tea Party Rick Scott and the Republican State Run Legislature until their blue in their faces....it doesnt mean that they will act with reason. The republicans here simply dont care about people with HIV. I am 99.9 percent sure this reduction in the FPL from 400 to 200 percent will happen. Everytime they have proposed things in the past to cut costs they have heard reason............but have always acted and enacted unreasonably and without care. With the whole state controlled by republicans there are absolutely no checks and balances here.......

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.