Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:14:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 334
Total: 334

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: . . . and as a Result  (Read 6075 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
. . . and as a Result
« on: September 25, 2007, 06:10:44 pm »
How time flies! It seems only one set of blood results are delivered and it's time to collect another.

Earlier this week Matty the Damned's Clinical Nurse Consultanat, the industrious Jo rang him with his most recent set of numbers. The bloods were taken a couple of weeks back.

As always the prior results for perspective:

July 2007
VL: <40 therefore undetectable
CD4 absolute: 120
CD4%: 12

and the most recent being September 2007
VL: <40 therefore undetectable
CD4 absolute: 204
CD4%: 12

Yay!! No change in VL means I don't have to change combo. I like my current combo (Norvir/Reyataz/Kivexa) and it, I fancy, likes me. Obviously my CD4 results are neither here nor there as my % is stable and the goal of HAART is viral suppression and nothing else.

I also have the results of my DEXA (bone density) scan. I have osteopaenia of the hips and osteoporosis of the spine. The blame is placed squarely on the evil combination of high doses of corticosteroids, AZT use and AIDS. A treatment plan is still being squabbled over by the medical types.

I would urge all HIVers who have been positive for a while, who have used steroids or AZT and/or are of the female persuasion to arrange a DEXA scan. You don't want to find out that you're osteoporotic the hard way as I did.

Fractures are terrible things.

AIDSmeds has excellent and extensive lessons on this subject. Read them.

I remain,

MtD

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
Re: . . . and as a Result
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 06:14:39 pm »
Matty, Dahling,

Congrats on the new numbers. On the bone density subject, hopefully those medical types will come up with something that works for you.

Molten
(who likes Matty Dahling 'though don't know why ;D)
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:17:34 pm »
Yeah, well you're probably gonna like me a whole lot less when you get back to Off Topic.

Dahling.

MtD

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 06:19:52 pm »
That's good news, no change is good if the combo works for you. As for the CD4s 12% 204 looks nicer than 12% 120 anywayz!

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline RobT

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:42:18 pm »
Matty-
Good news on the #s.  Relax, I had to do a DEXA scan awhile back and I was given the diagnosis of having osteoporosis. Mine is in my hips and spine. I was advised to take my testosterone hrt (hormone replacement therapy) daily and eat a lot of stuff w/ calcium. Milk is absolutely a big no-no for me. I take calcium supplements. Another vitamin added into my mix. I was also told to walk and exercise a lot (like I don't do that already).
I am sure there is something the medical ppl can do for ur diagnosis.

I was stunned when I heard that I had it considering that I thought only "old" ppl get it, well ppl a lot older than I. I also thought only elderly women get it as well.

Rob
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:49:19 pm »
Well done my evil genius..about bloody time.

As for all the other stuff that's going on I hope they can come up with a treatment you can deal with...I've have a couple of DEXA scans done, if anything goes amiss I'm putting it down to old age... ;)

Love and hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 08:25:45 pm »
matty, you will outlive us all.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline fearless

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 08:32:25 pm »
Good for you, Matty.

Hope they can sort out something for the bone density issues. I never knew it was an issue and was just thinking you had a glass jaw, so to speak, but your the third HIV'er I know that has found out recently that this is an issue for them. Your spot on with your tips/recommendation about the DEXA scan.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 11:32:28 pm »
My Delicious Damned One~~~~

I just love how that rolls off the tongue.. ;D I am glad to know that your numbers have remained stable and I have always said you are too evil to die. Your Majesty has been lucky thus far in life and has never broken a single bone..*knock on wood*. Is there a certain age you have to be to take this Dexa test? Neither of my doctors have mentioned it. I haven't even had the booby test done yet because according to them, I am not old enough yet. I was hoping someone would get to play with the girls since it has been ages since they have had any action... ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 11:47:44 pm »
Mattty,

Glad the numbers are holding steady and, more importantly, the meds are agreeing with you.

As for the osteo stuff - well damn young man! I didn't know anything much about this til now. I just followed your advice and read up on it in the lessons here.

UGH!

Let's see, I smoked for 34 years, I have taken AZT for going on 12 years, I was a somewhat thin man (till I quit smoking and porked up) I didn't consume any dairy for about 20 years because of lactose intolerance, so I have some of the issues people need to look out for regarding osteoporosis.

I suppose this is yet another test I should have done, along with that rectal thing.

I think I'd rather have a V8.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 11:57:54 pm »
See what happens when you take your meds on a kinda, sorta, sometimes, semi-regular, basis. :-*

AD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 01:01:51 am »
Further to my earlier comments, herewith the AIDSmeds Lessons on Bones.

MtD

Offline camille07

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 08:02:40 am »
MTD-

204  looks much better on you than 120. ;)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 08:18:59 am »
My dear Damned One:

Alas, I have osteoporosis also.  I had a DEXA done earlier this year to confirm my doc's guess.  Are you taking Calcium with vit. D?  I opted not to go on the meds for that yet.  Just didn't want to add something else to the already insurmountable mix of meds. 

I hope you're doing well.  Congratulations on your new numbers.  I'm glad something is going well for you.   :-* :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 09:18:34 am »
Hurrah to numbers! :) Boo to bone density. :( I second what Mr JK says.

Hug hug kiss kiss and muchas love, babycakes. :-*

Miss Debra xxx
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 04:46:00 pm »
Glad to see you are holding your own with the blood work up. 

As far as the bone stuff, I think too many of us are literally unconscious of this very important side of HIV, and most doctors don't keep up with the science at all.  It is up to us to push them into "our" reality, rather than theirs.  Fortunately, mine is on top of it, but only recently.  I do know that calcium pill supplements are not the answer, as it can actually stop the effectiveness of PIs completely.  We traced my last years vl increase to my initiation of calcium supplements to fight off bone loss.  It appears diet is the only way to really fight this nasty side effect.

Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Nadine

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 06:34:55 pm »
Keep up the good work sweetie!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.