Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: King Kong  (Read 5328 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
King Kong
« on: July 23, 2006, 12:43:14 am »
I rented this DVD at Blockbuster today and just finished watching it.   WOW, why didn't someone tell me this was such a great movie??? I wish now I had seen it in the theater.   I thought it was WONDERFUL.   The costumes, set decoration and special effects were incredible.   The 'native' scenes were so real and believable, and the creatures were all very scary.

Has anyone seen any good movies on DVD lately?  I never know what to choose.   By the time I get around to renting, the 'new releases' have already moved to the 'regular' movies shelf, so I miss a lot of things that I would probably enjoy seeing.   I definitely want to see Memoirs of a Geisha

Hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline livingpositively

Re: King Kong
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 12:54:18 am »
The Family Stone with Sarah Jessica Parker is pretty good.  Humor and kind of a tear jerker, too.

Haven't seen it, but I heard Memoirs was really good.

4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:58:01 am »
Has anyone seen that Matthew McConaughey / Sara Jessica Parker film, Failure to Launch?  Probably would be worth seeing, just to see him....that one was filmed, partially, here in my little town.   I waved at him while he was here...he is definitely NICE looking!
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 01:19:27 am »
I don't know about the Family Stone...  I only liked it because it was interesting to see Sarah Jessica Parker after Sex and the City.  Damn that show was good.

King Kong was definately a thumbs up for detail and quality.  I also like my movies long.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 02:25:24 am »
I finally joined Blockbusters On-Line.  For $5.99/month I get 2 movies, which is fine because they also give me 2 coupons for free movies at their store.  So I'm getting 4/month for $6.00.  That's pretty good if you ask me.  And to be honest, if I watch 4/month, I'm doing pretty good. That 4 at a time busiess for $15.00 or $17.00 is just too many movies for me.  And that's a lot of  money ($17/month adds up) and I know I would never get my money's worth.

So right now I have Pirates of the Caribbean (I) on queue. and Hitchcock's The Birds.

robt

Offline Teresa

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 01:00:42 pm »
Watched a really good movie today on DVD. Its called "World Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins. Its based on a true story. The "Indian" is his motorcycle.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 05:12:16 pm »
Hey Alan Failure 2 Launch is ok and anything with Mathew in it is worth seeing at least once LOL I somehow thought it was going 2 better then what it was.  4 me it was just ok

JAG

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 05:46:56 pm »
JAG --

I'm glad you figured out how to put up a photo!   You certainly are a very nice looking man!

Hugs,

Alan (who is always amazed at how good looking everyone in this forum is!)

Offline whizzer

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 08:24:42 pm »

Alan,

That sparks a movie quote:

"HIV positive men are the hottest"......Darius, in "Jeffrey"

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 10:48:54 am »
family stone was very good. I really like "the matador", 40 year old virgin, and layer cake. if you like violence for the sake of violence,'running scared" is the ticket.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 01:06:09 am »
Went to the bargain matinee to see "RV."

It was cute, lots of slapstick. I like Robin Williams so I thought it was a lot of fun.

Aside from that, I haven't seen anything recently.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline randym431

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 07:13:30 am »
Ahhhh movies...

I liked Nanny McPhee. Not quite Disney (a plus), but more for adults too. Disney films, especially cartoons, are too geared to keep kids attention so they can get one ones nerves.

The remake of fun with dick and jane wasnt too bad. I thought it would be awful and I'm not a Jim Carrey fan but I stuck with it and actually ended up liking it. A different twist on the original. And some suttle make-fun refferences to GW Bush.

Eight Below was a good one, especially if you like dogs. An interesting story too.

I like good horror movies, especially when the acting is hammed up. The hills have eyes was fairly good, especially the first half. They had a good thing going with the family stranded and all (reminded me of my childhood family vacations), but when they brought in the monster people, it went down hill. I can never figure out why they can't keep a good thing going and not fall back and mess it up with cheap horror tricks. They could have had a good hitchcock-like film if they didnt think they needed special effects with monsters. Too bad.
I really liked Wolf Creek and also the House of 1000 Corpses series (except the last one, The Devil's Rejects).
House of 1000 Corpses is my kind of horror film where the people are just crazy nuts scarry. And Karen Black was great!

I almost hate musicals, but the remake of the producers (minus the music skits) was pretty good. I'd recommend it.

Munich, Capote, Good night & Good Luck were good, but I like those types based on true stories.

Firewall is suppose to be good. I have it but havent watched it yet.

King Kong was very good, but they could have cut some of the strange creature attacks. That went on a bit too long.

My partner liked The Chronicles of Narnia. I dont care for movies with talking animals.

Failure to Launch I did not like. Too typical Matthew McConaughey, Sarah Jessica Parker. He needs to get better parts before he's type cast ito these types of films.

I really liked the remake of The Omen (not on dvd yet). The kid in this remake was really creepy, unlike the first Omen where the kid was just "there". And Mia Farrow as the nanny was perfect casting.

The Graveyard was one of the worst movies I've seen. Second rate drive-in.

Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 11:59:30 am »
King Kong was good....probably explains why it was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animation (Ithink)
I've seen all the other movies mentioned too except The Graveyard....David was a big Horror Movie fan....but not me.  Alan...I didn't see it on the big screen either and wished I had (King Kong that is) :P

modified to add...Yes.  Jag is a cutie pie!  Beautiful eyes! :o
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.