Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:40:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37667
  • Latest: Flavio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773370
  • Total Topics: 66359
  • Online Today: 349
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 334
Total: 334

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly Poz and so scared  (Read 5483 times)

Offline Gavin07

• Standard
Newly Poz and so scared
« on: May 13, 2020, 05:45:53 pm »
Hello all
      So I found out I was hiv+ the end of March. I was very upset about it but still have never cried. I have read a lot not sure what to believe an not. My dr says I will be fine I don’t feel fine.  My VL was 5180.  My cd4 was 379. I was pretty shocked at thos numbers because my last test was neg 6 months ago.  I am on Biktarvy alittle over a month and getting blood work done tomorrow to see how my numbers are. My dr only checks VL on the first blood work. Not cd4.  Soo idk I have been having some issues I have Anxiety and that has really kicked in.  But my feet and hands an nose get really cold and then burn an have alittle numbness and pins An needles.  I don’t believe it’s the meds. My feet where burning b4 I even started it.  I went to see a
Neurologist 2 weeks ago he told me he doesn’t think it’s  Neurological he did a lot of blood work an a few tests at his office.  I’m
So confused I feel like it’s only getting worse. And  if this is what the rest of my life will be like I’m not sure I can do this.   Idk. He and my hiv dr want me to go to a Therapist an I did set an apt up but this can’t just be anxiety.   If any one here has any advise it would be Appreciated .  I just don’t know what to do .

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Newly Poz and so scared
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:08:34 pm »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear about the anxiety and hopefully the therapist can assist. Prehaps some face to face peer support at some stage might also help reduce some of the anxious feelings and stress.

Being newly diagnosed can be a lot to digest but I'm glad to read that you started HIV treatment early and, with a great CD4 count and low viral load. Hopefully, your VL will be UD (suppressed) soon and don't worry about the CD4 counts they are rather irrelevant to check since you had solid counts to start with.

Regarding the feeling in the nose and hands, if I understand you correctly the doctors think it might be anxiety-related. Prehaps, physical symptoms are possible but do keep working with the doctors, it's not the meds as you point out and could be something that also settles down or goes even with time.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the diagnosis and keep us posted. I hope you feel less scared soon.

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:18:29 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Gavin07

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 06:29:49 pm »
Thanks for your reply Jim. I’m still processing this so peer groups wouldn’t work for me plus I live far away from anything like that.  But thank you just reading your reply made me feel a little better.  Thanks again 

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 09:20:18 pm »

ojo.       Hello Gavin07....welcomes to the forum, you are not alone anymore, we are here to support you...if I were you, I would try to relax, your Numbers are fine and I’m sure, you will be UD on your next blood work results...I know how difficult getting an hiv dx, but you will feel better as the days go by, we are here for you...sorry about your anxiety, hopefully you will get some help to ease it...please keep us posted, we are here for you...hugs.                                      ojo
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:24:44 pm by Tonny2 »

Offline daveR

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 01:03:44 am »
Stress and anxiety can be a real pain. It will probably take a while to come to terms with the diagnosis. A healthy life style can work wonders with the feel good factor. Good healthy food, exercise to help release the feel good hormones. Meditation or mindfulness to help with the acceptance. All certainly worth trying if you are not yet ready for group discussion. I suffered stress years ago, long before my HIV diagnosis, it is strange how it can manifest itself, some of my symptoms were tingling. Keep a positive mindset and you will pull through this early phase.
As for the virus, try not to dwell on it, the meds will take Cate of it for you and your body will do the rest.

Take care
Dave

Offline harleymc

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 03:29:38 am »
The only thing impacting on your health is your me talk state.  Your test results are very good for someone starting out.

Ask your doctor about techniques such as mindfulness, neuro linguistic programming, medications.

There are some very useful things that you can also do like exercise and volunteering. Peer support can't be underestimated.
Get a shopping cart of things going, they work in a synagistic manner but not overnight.

Offline SanjeevKashyap

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »
Hi Gavin,

Please please don't give up. Not yet. Your CD4 count and VL is comparatively better than mine and most others whose were worse than yours and even mine. I was diagnosed in March too and my CD4 count was only 100. But they are doing fine with regular medication. I take my meds regularly on that. Please do that and listen to your doctor. There are others here whose advice will help you.
We are in it together. Please dont feel you are alone. With all the good news coming about the development in research far better drugs are on their way. Be positive.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:11:35 pm by SanjeevKashyap »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.