Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:02:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 475
Total: 476

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: $297 million housing for persons with aids Is This True??  (Read 8503 times)

Offline bimazek

$297 million housing for persons with aids Is This True??
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:24:10 am »

This chart on far middle right side says

housing for persons with aids

$297million

I dont see that on the ground...

can someone powerful check on this???

http://www.deviantart.com/view/9410862/

could this be true

where is the money going

is this going to alot of staff salaries???

per year????

Offline kinstpete

Re: $297 million housing for persons with aids Is This True??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 10:39:42 pm »
would expect a good portion goes to staffing ect.     Considering someone just spent 200 mill to find out children ages 5 to 11 act up in school.

Offline chefrusty904

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 04:45:57 am »
I'D LIKE TO GET MY HANDS ON SOME OF THAT CASH ANY CREATIVE IDEAS???

Offline VeggieBooty

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 06:24:55 pm »
I'D LIKE TO GET MY HANDS ON SOME OF THAT CASH ANY CREATIVE IDEAS???
The Archdiocese of Los Angeles is evicting a bunch of elderly nuns so it can sell their convent.  Perhaps you could get some money to buy it, and offer deluxe, rent-subsidized apartments? 

Okay, I am about as powerless as folks come, but I did a bit of web-surfing. In my brain-addled state, I can't say I analyzed anything.  I am just relaying the raw information that the government provided.

"Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS" or HOPWA is the name of the federal program which disburses that $297 million. It is intended to benefit people living with HIV (not just AIDS).  The bad news is that it doesn't give money directly to individuals.  Instead the money goes to approved agencies which then provide the housing help.  You can see what agencies are getting the money in your state here:
http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/aidshousing/local/

Approximately  66% of that money goes directly to actual housing help.  The other 34% gets consumed by administration.
http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/aidshousing/library/factsheet2006.pdf

Three years ago (the most recent figures I saw) 74,700 households were helped by HOPWA, but half of them received only small, temporary, emergency aid.  The other half were given longer term assistance.
http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/aidshousing/programs/

91% of households receiving HOPWA assistance made less than $1000/month.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 06:32:52 pm »
That is based off of 2004 figures and it is a NATIONAL Figure...2005 btw saw a cut of a couple of million.

Do you actually  consider $294m (on the FEDERAL level) really  a large amount or money?  Forget the fact that it is only slightly more than what is spent on just SALARIES and expenses at the Small Business Administration it seems like barely a token to me when you consider that  the entire proposed HUD budget is 33.6 BILLION.

The goal of program is nicely highlighted here:

"Recent studies confirm that persons living with HIV/AIDS must have stable housing to access comprehensive healthcare and adhere to complex HIV/AIDS drug therapies. Even though stable housing has been shown to be a necessary link to medical and supportive services, accessing housing is difficult as the wait for affordable housing increases in many communities across the country. Compounding the problem of waiting lists is access to housing with the services to care and treat the increasing number of persons living not only with HIV/AIDS but also with histories of homelessness, mental illness, and substance abuse."

http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/aidshousing/programs/

If you are in need of rental assistance - contact your ASO and ask about your eligibility for participation in the HOPWA

MODIFIED:  BIM - what is the purpose btw of posting this in AIDS Activism?  Are you proposing something - please clarify what was the purpose of posting what you did?  Maybe I am missing something here?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 06:36:22 pm by Iggy »

Offline +Man

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 12:09:18 pm »
I live in Palm Springs and we have an enormous and beautiful project connected to the Desert Aids Project that provides housing for PWAs.  I am not certain how much if any federal money went to that project, but if you are looking for evidence on the ground...I have seen it.
Tested Neg 4/7/07
Tested Poz 6/20/07
CD4 6/20/2007 = 449 at 30%
VL >100,000
CD4 7/17/2007 =721 at 35%
VL =1430
CD4 8/14/2007 = 671 at 34%
VL =875
CD4 9/17/2007 =1010 at 38%
VL =368
CD4 11/07/2007 = 815 at 37%
VL =<50

Offline calimex

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 01:30:00 pm »
Moving to S.F. in August.
looking 4 a 2 bedroom or a 1 bed room that could b 2.
is their any one out their who has an empty apartment in their building.
please let me know.
thx
Tomas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.