Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 05:09:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Not undetectable anymore  (Read 5625 times)

Offline argentio

Not undetectable anymore
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:30:19 pm »
Hi guys.
I decided to ask here because my Dr is on vacation and won't be back for a couple of weeks (I did go with another doctor but she didn't seem to have much experience with HIV patients).
I started meds (atripla) on July 2011 (had CD4 of 270 and VL of 200,000).
I was tested again 5 months later and was undetectable and my CD4 had climbed to 450.
I had been getting tests every 6 months, remaining undetectable and my CD4s raising slowly.
But last week I got my new results and I was not undetectable anymore.  While my CD4 were now 780 (my previous record was 640), my viral load is now 890. Should I be worried?  Have I became resistant? 
I have read on the internet about "viral blips" where VL suddenly goes up for a couple of weeks before going back to undetectable.  While I want to believe this is the case, a VL of 890 seems kind of high.  Has someone experienced something similar to my case?  Did your VL return to UD?
If it is a case of resistance, what should I expect?  Will they make me switch meds?  Are other meds as convenient and with as few side effects as atripla?  Are they more expensive? (this is a huge issue; sometimes my clinic won't have the meds and my only option is to buy them out of my pocket, and in my country atripla costs pretty much a whole month's salary, even for someone earning above average!).
By the way, I have not missed a single dose in all these years (which sometimes is hard to do with the very inconsistent health services in my country).

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Not undetectable anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:42:05 pm »
why don't you count on it being a blip and test at the next available time you can.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Q204007.html

Yes if you were resistance you would have have to change meds.
Yes there are combos that have FEWER reported side effects than Atripla. But everyone is different and each person - you can never really predict what combo is going to be the absolute best.
Of course all meds are terribly expensive at developed world prices.  But there are different pricing of the same meds, depending on the country.  You would have to check with your local HIV experts to know what is available to you and at what prices, in your country.
By the way, if you are occasionally forced into buying Atripla by Bristol-Myers Squibb, out of your own pocket, due to supply, you should compare the price you pay to the price of a generic combo that is the same ingredients, available from India. Find out from other HIV people in your country to see if anyone else has found workarounds to this unreliable supply and/or unaffordable cost.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:15:59 pm »
One duff test does not a trend make.

50% of not undeterctable results are blips.

Get another test, thenm decide.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:49:59 am »
Welcome to the forums, Argentio.

I agree with Mecch and Matt that you have most likely experienced a blip.

I'm wondering if you know about any service organisations near you, where you may be able to find out the name of a good back-up doctor for when your doctor is not available. You may also be able to use a local organisation for other practical help and support. You can find one near you by using aidsmap's world-wide database of hiv/aids organisations. http://www.aidsmap.com/e-atlas

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline argentio

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:21:42 am »
Thanks guys!  You made me feel much better!
Now waiting for my doctor to come back.
I actually tried getting Indian generics the first time they didn't get my monthly supply on time.  It was weird: I found several online drugstores on my country (Mexico) selling them, but they couldn't sell them to me at the advertised price!  It seems they use some sort of legal loophole to sell them to the US and Canada, but they are not on stock here on this country (they seem to have their stock in England!) and they would need to charge me several additional taxes to be able to sell it and deliver it on Mexico!  Laws sometimes make no sense.

Offline scared2b

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:13:48 am »
I'm in the exact same shoes!! I started exactly same time as you did and have been UD until this week my VL was 480. my doctor said that there is a blip in my VL and we're gonna repeat it in 2-4 weeks. but still, i have the same thoughts as you about resistance and stuff but i'm staying hopeful.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 11:03:12 am »
it's all about the trend (over at least 3 tests and over 6-8 weeks or more) and Never, ever, ever about the result of a single test.

If everyone would just remember this, there'd be a lot less stress, hair-pulling and fewer posts in these forums.  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline moxieinme

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 12:39:09 pm »
I agree there's a good chance it's a blip. Be patient and investigate the trend.

Even if the next test(s) indicate viral resistance, the virus is still relatively subdued by your current meds and you shouldn't panic about finding a quick solution or making a sudden change. I have been on various regimens over the years because of resistance issues, and when I was waiting for my current  (successful) regimen to replace a failing one, my doctor wisely consoled me that the virus, while not UD, was beaten down, and I shouldn't panic. So I share that advice with you. Good luck!
Salvage therapy wrangler, riding the poz bronco and dodging bullets for over 24 years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CD4 at diagnosis 1989 = 330
Began treatment (AZT) 1989
Lowest labs 1998: CD4=74, 7%, VL=750,000
First sustained undetectable VL in 20 years (2009); CD4=315
Current labs (12/13): CD4=637, 27%, VL=<20
Current meds: Prezista, Isentress, Intellence, Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.