Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 333
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Greetings to all  (Read 3571 times)

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
Greetings to all
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:05:25 pm »
Hi, I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself.  I am Connie and though I am not HIV+, my best friend was just diagnosed in Aug.  He sent me the link to this site because we are both just trying to deal with this as best as we can.
My main concerns are how to help him.  His doctors will take care of the physical aspects of this, but what about the emotional?  He just went for his second set of blood work, to see the progression, we get the results on Wednesday (20th).  He feels it will be bad, because he is exhausted all the time. 
Question is, how do I help him?  He lives about 3 hours away from me now, so I can't just stop by to see him.  I am at a loss as to what to do.
I have been lurking around this site, and I can tell you that this is perhaps the best site I have been to.  When we first found out, I went to the CDC and many other sites, and I learned nothing.  I have learned more here in a few days then I did in weeks researching on other sites.  I am not ignorant to this, I work for a doctor, and we have discussed this.  Unfortunately, the medical community is still unable to understand the personal issues.  "Yes there are side effects of medication, but is is manageable" what they say is so different from what I am reading here from the ones who sadly know the best. 
Forgive me if I rant at times.  I am having a difficult time dealing with my "reality of medicine" versus the reality I am seeing here.
Cono

Offline Eldon

Re: Greetings to all
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:26:13 pm »
Hello Connie!

I will give you my WARM welcome in just a few moments here. As you may have realized, there is a REASON that you are in your friend's life right now. In fact, it is a vice-versa effect as well for you. Coming to this site demonstrates part of your "purpose" of being in your friend's life. The BEST thing that you can DO is to relay information here on the board and to give your friend as much comfort and reassurance that he needs so that he will be able to work through these emotions that are present.

One thing you may also want to consider mentioning to him if he has internet access he can also come to join the site as well. In short, you are a valuable asset to his current support system!

In my own way, I wish to extend to you a WARM WELCOME here at the AM forums. Here you will find the encouragement, communication, understanding, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS answered.

The Handshake Of Reassurance

We have a great group of Real People who will listen as well as answer you. We are here to Encourage, Learn, and Help one another as we all walk on our journey in this life.

With the consideration of implementing a Positive Mental Attitude, it will also assist you on your journey in this life as well as having a Positive Impact on your immune system and your overall health.

In fact, through your Positive Mental Attitude, it will help you push forward through ALL of the obstacles on your path that you are now walking on.

Talking and sharing our experiences with other people helps us see that we are not the only ones with problems. Feel free to come and vent with whatever is on your mind from time-to-time.

Often the act of writing and the ability to “SEE” your feelings leads to therapeutic insights and solutions..

In the interim, you may want to start taking a multi-vitamin, and some Omega 3, because it is all up to YOU where YOU want to be.

Exercise at least three times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes per day, as this will do you good to help keep that unnecessary stress away.

"Don't Give Up, Don't Give In... Cause it is ALL within you to WIN!"

Offline Longislander

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 11:53:55 pm »
Hi Connie, welcome. I'm glad this site has been so helpful to you. Please convince your best friend to visit us regularly (if he doesn't already).
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 10:53:52 am »
He is the one who sent me here, so I assume he visits here.  I am not aware of him joining, but he generally is not a joiner.  I just love this place, every time I come here I either laugh, cry and sometimes both within a matter of minutes.  Yet I always learn something.  I call him when I see something new or that I think he would be interested in.  Not sure he actually listens to me. 
Thanks to all of you!

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 11:15:38 am »
Hello and welcome to our lovely community.  I am sure you will find this site is very informational, helpful and also loving and accepting of lots of different opinions.  This site will be what you make of it.  It can be dysfunctional and frustrating at times but mostly its warm and inviting.

Feel free to post as much or as little as you like about yourself at the time you feel it is appropriate.  I personally have put my entire life on this site and it has yet to bite back.  I consider this place a second family to me and love being here and sharing what I can with those I can.

Anyway…. Welcome, you have received my canned greeting deeming you WORTHY of further communication!!!

Andrew

And in honor of Eldons Handshake of Doom I present to you the SPLODING high five!

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:17:38 am »
He just went for his second set of blood work, to see the progression, we get the results on Wednesday (20th).  He feels it will be bad, because he is exhausted all the time. 
Question is, how do I help him?  He lives about 3 hours away from me now, so I can't just stop by to see him.  I am at a loss as to what to do.

Hi Connie - Seems he has a great friend in you!  :)  :) Guess you can remind him whether the next results are good or bad or in-between that you and good people like you will soldier on with him, that hope is greater in this decade versus the 90's and 80's. Yup, he's 3 hours away so thank heavens for the internet - Does he like uplifting music? Jokes? There's cute stuff on www.youtube.com that you can send him ... Being diagnosed recently, he might appreciate "life as usual" reminders to "balance out" the medical/HIV stuff. And remember - laughter is medicine too. Hope his results are "good"

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:19:10 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline Teresa

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 02:01:57 pm »

The best thing you can do is learn all you can about HIV and be there for him. If you havent read the lessons I highly reccomend it. Ask away...there is always someone here that can help you with any questions you have.
You are a good friend!!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.