Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:57:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 482
Total: 484

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Kaiser: Obamacare & HIV  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Kaiser: Obamacare & HIV
« on: September 25, 2012, 04:48:52 pm »
Kaiser Family Foundation today released a .pdf file/brief on the Affordable Care Act and its implications for people living with HIV

A summary of it is available at this link:

1) Obamacare will prevent insurance companies from denying HIV-positive Americans coverage simply based on their HIV status. The health care reform law prohibits insurance companies from discriminating based on pre-existing conditions, including HIV. Before Obamacare, Americans living with HIV often struggled to find insurance companies willing to take them on — according to the Kaiser Family Foundation, just 13 percent of HIV-positive individuals were covered under private insurance in 2010.

2) Obamacare’s expansion of the Medicaid program helps low-income Americans with HIV who otherwise wouldn’t qualify for coverage. Over 40 percent of HIV-positive Americans accessed their health insurance through the Medicaid program in 2010, and expanding Medicaid even further will extend additional coverage to this community. Furthermore, under Obamacare, HIV-positive individuals do not have to have to be diagnosed with AIDS as a precursor to qualifying for Medicaid coverage. Although this was an old eligibility requirement for the program, the health reform law ensures the states that accept Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion will not have to impose this restriction on Americans living with the HIV virus.

3) HIV-positive Americans will no longer reach limits on the amount of treatment their insurance companies are willing to cover. Obamacare eliminates lifetime coverage caps and phases out annual limits, which will help all Americans with chronic conditions — including the Americans who rely on treatment for HIV infections — continue to be able to afford the care they need without reaching an arbitrary cut-off set by their insurance companies.

4) HIV testing will likely be covered under Obamacare. This year, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force is expected to recommend routine HIV screenings as a part of regular preventative care, similar to a routine blood pressure test. Since the health reform law requires insurers to cover the preventive services recommended by the Preventative Services Task Force, a new standard for HIV testing could ensure that it becomes a standard part of annual check-ups. The Centers for Disease Control estimates that about 20 percent of the total population of Americans who are infected with HIV don’t know they have the virus, so regular tests that don’t incur an out-of-pocket expense could help encourage more Americans to learn their status.

5) Since Obamacare helps close the prescription drug coverage gap for Medicare beneficiaries, HIV-positive individuals will be more likely to afford their drug treatments for the virus. By closing the “donut hole,” or the gap in coverage for expensive prescription drugs under the Medicare program, Obamacare will help ensure that older Americans living with HIV aren’t unable to afford any of the 26 antiretroviral drug treatments that can be used to combat HIV infections. Twelve percent of Americans with HIV relied on Medicare for their health coverage in 2010, and that number may rise significantly as the population of HIV-positive Americans continues to age.

6) Obamacare increases resources for HIV research and prevention. The health care reform law allocates $10 billion over ten years for a new fund that focuses on prevention, wellness, and public health activities. In 2010, $30 million from that fund was awarded to the Centers for Disease Control for HIV prevention activities, including new investments in HIV surveillance and testing among high-risk populations.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
Re: Kaiser: Obamacare & HIV
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:24:52 pm »
Thanks ever so, Miss Philicia, for posting this!

One minor quibble (and I mean really minor) is that Medicare is not just available after retirement age (65).  If you are on SSDI for 30 months, you are automatically enrolled in Medicare.  Lots of younger HIV+ people use this benefit.
Losing the doughnut hole will be nice as well, but ADAP (or Medicaid if you are dual-eligible) covers co-pays and the doughnut hole.
Most people with HIV who are on therapy move into catastrophic coverage by February.  Depending on your plan, that can mean no further out-of-pocket medication expenses until the following January.
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:45:29 pm »
Thanks ever so, Miss Philicia, for posting this!

Most people with HIV who are on therapy move into catastrophic coverage by February.  Depending on your plan, that can mean no further out-of-pocket medication expenses until the following January.

Can someone clarify this for me? I had not heard of this.  Is this a medicare rule or a new insurance in general rule.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Mus1cl0V3R

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:23:41 pm »
Can someone clarify this for me? I had not heard of this.  Is this a medicare rule or a new insurance in general rule.
I can't clarify this for Kaiser but my insurance (a Medicare Part D plan) works this way (although it happens for me around April).

It also depends on the medications you are taking and how expensive they are.

The way it was explained to me was...after the total cost of your medications (what you pay and what the insurance pays combined) goes over some limit (I do not recall the amount) then you are no longer required to pay a co-pay.

HTH
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:27:46 pm by Mus1cl0V3R »

Offline chgo2012

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:33:40 am »
at what cost?  My Kaiser "individual policy" is already $ 720.00/month plus deductives and co-pays and I was already told that will going UP on Jan 13... I can't understand why insurances can have different groups (i.e. for companies, charging a fraction of what I pay) and for individuals, high as a punishment. I don't know where Obama's plan will help on this matter, as I don't know for how long I will be capable to pay such expensive health insurance policy... all of this plan of have people covered sounds pretty, but if people can't afford it, what's the point?   Whatever it is should be effective immediately and not wait until insurance companies find ways to raise premiums and cut benefits as they are already doing. 

I have private insurance for over 20 years and I've never seem so expensive and lousy as lately... and that's has nothing to do with the HIV or age... has been like that for a while and without consequences for them.

We need an intervention on health insurance companies NOW.

Offline gulfcoastFL

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:39:53 pm »

5) Since Obamacare helps close the prescription drug coverage gap for Medicare beneficiaries, HIV-positive individuals will be more likely to afford their drug treatments for the virus. By closing the “donut hole,” or the gap in coverage for expensive prescription drugs under the Medicare program

Thanks for the info.
I was all set this year to pay out in full for the donut hole. Don't whether to be happy or not...
My Viramune comes in a generic now?  Going to take prob March - April to get though the hole.
Either way, better to have drug coverage than not.

happy hunting all!!!
"We all think and feel differently as the years go by"  Thank you, Grey Gardens.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:07:30 am »
I'm hoping to retire in two years at age 58 and I'll be purchasing a personal insurance policy.  I was expecting it to cost around $1200/month.  $720 or even $820 a month sounds a lot better than $1200.  I've read where some people in the high risk pools were paying over $1500/month in some states.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.