Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:38:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 352
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thinking of Taking a Holiday? Think Again  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Robert

Thinking of Taking a Holiday? Think Again
« on: November 30, 2006, 05:47:02 pm »
This article came out today in the New England Journal of Medicine.

It sort of negates the idea of starting meds early so later on you can take a holiday.  Apparently ti doesn't work that way.

HERE"S THE ARTICLE as reported in today's (Nov. 30) SF Chronicle.

robert

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Thinking of Taking a Holiday? Think Again
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 05:55:26 pm »
Hi Robert,

I just received this article this morning by email.  One of our local physicians was discussing this a few months ago at the Planning Counsil meeting.  While another member of these Forums questioned the concept of "taking a vacation" recently, I could not find the notes from that discussion.  Thank you ever so for posting this.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:01:24 pm »
hi Robert

Thanks for the info, I started my drug holiday 3 days ago and have just recieved my new results

Last CD4's were 1040..now at 750..a drop of 490..since July

VL..still undetectable

So I'm assuming that my numbers will see me ok and keep me healthy enough until I can go back on my treatment after we have determined wether or not it's the meds are causing my liver problems.

Hope all is well with you and are heading for a good weekend.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Blixer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:16:23 pm »
I think those results were from the SMART study which was the largest treatment interruption study to date.  It was supposed to last 9 years but was interrupted after something like 16 months becuase of the results.  The SMART study stopped treatment when the CD4 was 350 to 400 and restarted when it dropped to 250.

There is another, much smaller study, called the STACCATO trial.  It had a restart cutoff much higher--350.  And there seems to be some positive results from that study.  So maybe it isn't an "all or nothing".  Maybe it is somewhat dependent on where you are when you stop and where you are when you restart.  Here is a quotation from an article on Aidsmeds about the SMART study.

"It is important to note, however, that other studies evaluating treatment interruptions of this nature have reported more encouraging results. In the August 5 edition of The Lancet, for example, the STACCATO trial found that treatment interruptions reduced the risk of side effects compared to those on continuous treatment. The study, enrolling 430 HIV-positive patients, used a CD4 count of 350 to signal the restart of treatment, which differs significantly from SMART’s 250 CD4 cell count cutoff. "
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 10:11:15 pm »

Thanks Robert for the article.  Very interesting indeed.  I printed and put it away for safe keeping...  just in case a doctor ever tells me something different.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 10:13:38 pm »
Jan,  please be careful honey... 

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: Thinking of Taking a Holiday? With STIs itnot quite that simple...
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 10:21:11 pm »
Hi. I laughed and when I read Jan's post regarding her 3 day drug holiday (not laughing at the reason of course), thought it was a typo. My STI has been six years. My VL is growing now, and my CD4 has been fairly steady, recently climbing back slightly to 500. By the way my, STI was recommended by my MD, and it took me four days to decide to give it a try. I am not fickle.

Having shared this info, I have been wondering whether I am better off or would have been better off either resuming now (new drugs) or having resumed much earlier.

I am totally open-minded on the STI issue. Of course I want my STI to be the "right treatment." Dr. Fauci has been wrong before. Dr. Currier from UCLA who said the results were "definitive" does have my respect. I would like to read everything I can on the issue, not just reports on the NEJM article. If any of you have any such links, kindly send them my way or post them here. Thanks, Megaasept
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:29:53 pm by megasept »

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 10:33:44 pm »
Hey Robert,

That is interesting. Perhaps there could be a different way to approach this.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.