Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 338
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 338
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mormon, Married, And Gay  (Read 4917 times)

Offline tednlou2

Mormon, Married, And Gay
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:01:48 am »
This is yet another example of how religion can mess people up.  He claims to be happy, but I just have a hard time believing that.  And, I don't think the wife is really happy. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/gay-mormon-happily-married-16808620

Offline wolfter

Re: Mormon, Married, And Gay
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:05:46 am »
He says he's not physically attracted to women but is happily married?  I have a difficult time believing this.  I was attracted to women and was miserable the short period of time I was married to one.   Isn't this similar to prostituting yourself since he is having sex with someone he's not attracted to for gain?  Even if it's to gain entrance into his master's domain.

My religious upbringing convinced me that the mythical being in the sky inflicted each of us with one difficult challenge to overcome.  It was our duty to him to pray and struggle to overcome our demons.  I imagine his actions are a result of deep seated religious struggles.

Bill and I were both married (to women) when we met and there was no way to pray that lust and attraction away.  There was even a short period of time that I believed that my HIV was "God's" punishment for this immoral act.  Thankfully I ended up obtaining my BBA from a Christian University where I accepted that most religions are akin to mythology with great stories.  My opinion!!!!

That all being said, if he can make it work and they're happy, then go for it.  I just hope he's not doing any sinning on the downlow that could possibly  put her at risk. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:04:44 am »
She looks deeply sad when the subject of sex comes up.
She seems so sweet and she's pretty.  Its nice that she loves her best gay friend from her teenage years, but if I were one of her friends I would slap her in the face like Cher does Cage in Moonstruck.  Snap out of it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY

Also, there some vocal evidence of gender-based power dynamics and I think they both assume that its normal that the man gets the upper hand over the woman. Regrettably I have seen many many women get totally screwed in mid-life by their husbands assumptions that the man gets to do whatever he freaking wants to do regarding sex, intimacy, relationships. Heteros.  But even a few women, married to gays, crushed when the man finally does want "full experience" and divorce in their 40s and 50s.  I would predict this guy is going to do the same, Mormon or not.  Its very sad.  She should divorce him and "have it all" now, meaning at least have the experience of being with a man consumed by desire for her, and some over the top sex.  I guess they don't see things this way.  I personally prefer my religious purists extremely well fucked, and bubbly, and with some joy.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:10:29 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:54:22 am »
He claims to be happy, but I just have a hard time believing that. 

There are heterosexuals who would say the same thing about your relationship with a man.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:04:13 am »
There are heterosexuals who would say the same thing about your relationship with a man.

Shit, I've been w/ my BF for so long were beyond happy, 18 yrs is a long time to get to know each other, and we aint done yet  ;)

I still find something new & interesting about him everyday
guess I'm a very slow learner  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:16:04 am »

But we're physically attracted to our men.  Would a straight man be happy in a gay relationship? ;D

Offline denb45

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:18:46 am »
Greg.... I was Married when I was in the Navy for about 3 yrs. but, she was only my Beard, and she knew I was queer, it didn't last I was lucky there were no children
she wanted them  :-[

I didn't, so she left me for another man, I was kinda relived and off the hook after this, and now I really don't have to worry anymore as she died back in 96, as I never got a divorce  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:12:02 am »
.  He claims to be happy, but I just have a hard time believing that.

They look happy to me.   Who are we to judge?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:26:54 am »
They look happy to me.   Who are we to judge?

I don't think this is judging as much as questioning. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:32:55 am »
I have to admit while I respect peoples choices its still a bit sad to me that some people base who they will allow themselves to fall in love with on what they think god wants instead of the what the heart needs . If that's being judgmental I will except the judgment .   

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:39:47 am »
There are plenty of people raised in churchy environments that figure out its contradictions and outlandishness by the age of 12. I always wonder why some people do and others do not.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:45:12 am »
There are plenty of people raised in churchy environments that figure out its contradictions and outlandishness by the age of 12. I always wonder why some people do and others do not.

Gymrat posted something that gives interesting insight:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=25176.msg546053#msg546053

I have little interest in politics but I love learning about why people think and behave the way they do. I just read a fascinating book by social psychologist Jonathan Haidt titled The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion. He uses scientific research to build a convincing argument that people form beliefs first through emotion and intuition and then use reason to identify evidence to support those beliefs. He identifies 5 moral foundations that differentiate liberals and conservatives. I can't effectively summarize everything he covers in the book but if you like the video you will love the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:48:54 am »

I read the bible at age 11 from front to back and about gave the southern baptist side of my family a nervous breakdown at my insistence it just couldn't be true . I was raised catholic but my Aunts rushed me to the baptist minister after my bible reading incident for an intervention but it didn't work .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 10:53:22 am »
My father was the son of a Baptist Preacher, and my Mother was very well educated and didn't really have time for the churchy set

(only when it suited her) so I really didn't care much for the churchy set, when I became a teenager.... my father didn't like THIS, but he soon got over it  ;)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 08:59:00 am »
I couldn't look at the whole video for his body language "screamed" save me from this hell.  It looks to me that he is trapped and unhappy much like the lead character in the movie "1984."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 05:08:01 pm »
I couldn't look at the whole video for his body language "screamed" save me from this hell.  It looks to me that he is trapped and unhappy much like the lead character in the movie "1984."

Yeah I thought so too. And even more so the wifey.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.