Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:44:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773212
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 485
Total: 488

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: new labs and more lost than ever  (Read 4947 times)

Offline yesican

new labs and more lost than ever
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:43:28 am »
I just got my latest labs and im more lost than ever. they are as follows.  cd4 ( helper cells ) 25, absolute cd4+ cells 279, cd8 (suppressor t cells ) 49, absolute cd8 + cell 542 and helper?/suppressor ration in 0.51. Can anyone hep me figure this out. I talked with the dr but I seem to be more lost than ever. The only thing I do know is last time I had labs my cd4 was 196 and viral load was about 98. im now undetectable but so confused. I am also having high triglyceride problems and somthing to do with my kidneys called creatinine. Im scared to death. I was diagnosed in mid december and started meds second week of january. im on presista, norvair, and truvada.
  HELP !

Offline weasel

Re: new labs and more lost than ever
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:19:27 am »
Hey yesican ,
                  I hope you are feeling well .

I personally do NOT follow all those numbers !

IT IS GREAT  you are undetectable ! very nice !

If it helps ,I  was like you  5 years ago when i started meds . Sometimes  the doctors give to much

info !   The basic numbers MATTER  big time . The confusing numbers are just that ,confusing !

I hope with time you become more comfortable with living with HIV . It takes  time and effort

NOT to let it rule your life !

Trial  and error seem  to be the rule for getting the meds right !

I am wishing you the best . Try and be calm and don't worry too much it does get better I

promise you that . Life will go on ,different yes ,but there are many good years for a you !

be good , Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline webontheweb

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 04:57:55 pm »
Please do not be lost, doctors throw out a lot of numbers and there is a lot of information in your post.  my suggestion is to find a HIV buddy or mentor who can help you go through all this info to help you better understand.  It would seem you are better- esp. with undetectable!  give the meds time, stay with us/
Get an HIV mentor or buddy,  find one locally or one on here.  I am not educated enough about all of your meds to help you but am happy to talk about anything else with you privately if you need a shoulder to lean on.
Cheers!

Offline yesican

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 12:22:29 am »
Thanks for the shoulder to lean on, at times I need one bad. I feel so alone and lost and few people know of my static. Thanks again for reading and replying. I will keep you in mind and add you as a buddy if thats ok.

Offline sdguyloveslife

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 03:11:43 pm »
I just got my latest labs and im more lost than ever. they are as follows.  cd4 ( helper cells ) 25, absolute cd4+ cells 279, cd8 (suppressor t cells ) 49, absolute cd8 + cell 542 and helper?/suppressor ration in 0.51. Can anyone hep me figure this out. I talked with the dr but I seem to be more lost than ever. The only thing I do know is last time I had labs my cd4 was 196 and viral load was about 98. im now undetectable but so confused.

Hi Yesican,

From what you've written, without having your results in front of me, it looks as though your numbers are improving!  It's sometimes hard to tell what's going on without a few data points, so the picture will become clearer for you with each subsequent set of labs. 

Many years ago, I worked in a virology research lab, so I usually understand the HIV "lingo" my doc throws at me.  But with other stuff, in spite of my biology degrees, I sometimes have to stop him and say, "Hey Doc, I need you to put this into elementary school terms for me."  Try that out on your next visit  :)

I am also having high triglyceride problems and somthing to do with my kidneys called creatinine. Im scared to death. I was diagnosed in mid december and started meds second week of january. im on presista, norvair, and truvada.
  HELP !

Again, it's hard to tell what's going on with one set of data.  What were your triglyceride and kidney function numbers like before you started the meds?  I'm sure you've heard this already, but "what is your diet like?" and "what does your daily water (not soda, coffee, or etc..., but actual water) intake look like?"  Other factors like other meds you take, other conditions you might have, your overall fitness, sleep, etc, etc, etc can influence these numbers as well. 

Just taking the meds and doing nothing else is not always the best way of taking care of ourselves.  It often requires several rounds of lifestyle changes and these take some time and adjustment.  Can you re-check back with the doc and ask (1) if you should be concerned about triglyceride and kidney numbers? and (2) does s/he suggest anything you can do to improve these numbers through diet, exercise, fluid intake, etc?

I'm on the same treatment combo as you are and after my first set of labs came back, my liver function test numbers freaked me out!  I immediately asked him if I could do an herbal cleansing of my liver and my doc gave me an absolute NO WAY because he has had "worrisome" patients like me go into liver failure from "taking matters into their own hands."  Sure enough, it returned to normal levels on my next round of tests. 

I'm pretty new to this too - was just diagnosed in April and started meds in May - and I'm finding my way, sometimes more slowly than I want to, but such is life.  By the way, nice to find a "med combo" buddy  ;D

Hang in there and take good care of yourself! 
Richard
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.