Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:45:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773266
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 333
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV-Positive Woman Is Jailed Until Baby Arrives - Thoughts?  (Read 3327 times)

Offline next2u

HIV-Positive Woman Is Jailed Until Baby Arrives

Quinta Layin Tuleh, an HIV-positive woman from Cameroon charged with possession of false immigration documents in Maine, will give birth in prison because U.S. District Judge John Woodcock mandated a sentence that coincides with her due date, the Bangor Daily News reports. Woodcock said the sentence—extended to 238 days from 114—would make certain the infant, due August 29, has an opportunity to be born HIV negative.

The judge also made it clear that the extended prison time was not to punish Tuleh, 28, but to protect her unborn child from contracting HIV. The judge believes the defendant is more likely to receive medical treatment and follow a preventative antiretroviral drug regimen in the federal prison than outside of prison where she would be in the custody of immigration officials.

Zachary Heiden, legal director for the Maine Civil Liberties Union, opposes the verdict. “Judges cannot lock a woman up simply because she is sick and pregnant,” Heiden said. “Judges have enormous discretion in imposing sentences, and that is appropriate. But jailing someone is punishment—it is depriving them of liberty. The deprivation has to be justified, and illness or pregnancy is not justification for imprisonment.”

Tuleh was unaware of her pregnancy and HIV status when she was arrested, according to her attorney, Matthew Erickson of Brewer. She plans to apply for asylum in the United States after completing her sentence.

- an interesting article. what do you think?
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Cliff

Re: HIV-Positive Woman Is Jailed Until Baby Arrives - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:38:28 am »
Seems wrong.  But I don't have enough details.  Did she want the longer sentence to maintain her access to HIV meds and the judge complied?  What prompted the judge to doubt her ability to access medical treatment while in the custody of immigration officials?  After serving her sentence would she have been allowed back in the community while her asylum application was being considered?  Does Maine allow undocumented residents access to HIV meds (ADAP)?  I could see justification for what the judge did depending on answers to those questions.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:45:52 pm »
I  suspect the jude is probably (and sadly) right
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:08:59 pm »
I realize that I'm coming at this from a different view point and that my circumstances may or may not be related to this woman's, BUT...

When our middle daughter's biological became pregnant with her, DHHR filed a law suit to have taken into pychiatric custody until the baby was born, even though she wasn't going to have physical custody after the child was born.  Why, then?  Because she has a very low-functioning IQ and lacks the ability to make good judgements.  As a result, every one of her children (12 and counting) have been born not only with fetal alcohol but also addicted to drugs.  This was a way to protect the child, and the mother.  A judge disagreed and as a result our daughter was born with FAS and a meth addiction.

How I WISH that Mim's judge had the foresight and forethought to commit her biological and "force" (maybe not a good word) her to take meds.

I agree with Cliff that we don't have all the details.  I also agree with Newt.  If the mom is given meds to help the child, then the mom benefits also.  The fact she had to go to jail to get help is the sad part.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline dixieman

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:32:37 pm »
I have to agree with minismom... and theres more to this story... so if its in the best interest of the unborn child to make sure there is a safety net to help this woman have proper medical attention and to do all that is medically available to keep the unborn infant from contracting HIV then so be it...

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:57:03 pm »
For the baby's sake, I think it is a good idea.  Maybe the judge knows what happens while people are transitioning through immigration and didn't want to take any chances.  She is probably getting better care now that she is in the system than she would have on the street, her lawyer said she didn't know she was pregnant or positive,she might never have went to the doctor.... so I have to agree with Newt and Minismum.

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:14:36 pm »
If thats the only way she was surely going to get treated, it seems the lessor of two evils, since she was going to prison anyway. 
We are assuming the prison couldnt work out a way for her to serve her REAL time and then have immigration provide the rest of the treatment. If sent directly back to Cameroon, would she get treatment?

And what happens after the baby is born. The two go back to Cameroon?

Complicated but hardly inhuman story.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 09:53:25 pm »
Maybe the judge knows how immigration can be and that she would not get the best medical care if left in immigration. I am wondering how far along her pregnancy was since she claims not have known she was pregnant. I am assuming just weeks since she didn't complain of any symptoms. Sad story but atleast she is in a federal pen. She could be somewhere worse.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline a2z

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 02:36:06 am »
I think that judge is being very compassionate, in probably the only way he can.  The baby will be a US Citizen (which afford a lot of privileges), likely HIV-negative, and Mom will likely be granted asylum to be with her citizen child. 

Really except for that it does against the underlying principles of human freedom and dignity... but sometimes, it's about the bigger picture.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 06:57:08 am »
I think that judge is being very compassionate, in probably the only way he can.  The baby will be a US Citizen (which afford a lot of privileges), likely HIV-negative, and Mom will likely be granted asylum to be with her citizen child. 

Really except for that it does against the underlying principles of human freedom and dignity... but sometimes, it's about the bigger picture.

The articles I read about this story all said that although the baby will be born a US citizen, both mother and baby will be deported. Sucks, eh?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.